The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio
Old 3rd May 2021 | Show parent
HVY
Gear Nut

Wow the bomblets sounds really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen ➡️
The Bomblets are excellent as overheads - I've attached a little test I did after rearranging my kit as in the photo while just messing around. This is all flat with no compression.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynasonic ➡️
I haven't played drums the last 10 years, ... I changed to guitar because it's more family compatible
But in the last few weeks I rediscovered my drum because I was asked to join a "online collaboration project" with some friends...
Excelent!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
I have one Yammy MZ205be in my snare drum mic arsenal. It can tame the brightest snare with the greatest of ease.
I use a Yamaha MZ-204 for inside kick and have been for over a decade. Great mic solid build!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot ➡️
I use a Yamaha MZ-204 for inside kick and have been for over a decade. Great mic solid build!
I have commented on this Yamaha MZ204 before. The 204, and the 205 were fantastic mics, which Yamaha made for only a few years, they are very hard to find now, and once people have them they don't let them go. If I could find a pair I'd buy them for sure. Great mics!

Last edited by Tousana; 4th May 2021 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: spelling
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVY ➡️
Wow the bomblets sounds really good!
Yeah, they are truly excellent mics!
Old 4th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
From '79 . .
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-drumsstudio.jpg  
Old 5th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier ➡️
From '79 . .
Cool!

Is that Frankie Banali? What studio?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat ➡️
Cool!

Is that Frankie Banali? What studio?
Its my band. The studio is long gone, called Wizard.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier ➡️
Its my band. The studio is long gone, called Wizard.
What mics were on the toms there?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastis ➡️
What mics were on the toms there?
I have no idea ..a hodge-podge of things. I'm thinkin' the engineer might have borrowed some from Cherokee because Wizard was still being built at the time.
Old 6th May 2021
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I have 3 MZ-205's and one MZ-204.. Anybody has an idea what they might be worth?
Old 6th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.M ➡️
I have 3 MZ-205's and one MZ-204.. Anybody has an idea what they might be worth?
I’ve seen them sell for $100 to $300.

I have a few of them but really only use the MZ-204 on inside kick but that’s about it, I’ve tried them on bass and electric guitars but always picked something else over them.
Old 7th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear
my first session in almost a decade.

i got really sick 10 years ago and dropped out of the game.

working with a band i'm part of, the strange, from detroit michigan. we are starting a new album this year.

it was fun to be back in the studio making music. really missed this.

tracked at my great friend jason's studio in st.louis.

trying to remember what we used, i think this is right:

kick inside: akg d12

woofer kick out: Neuman 103 with inline pad

snare top: telefunken m80 shorti

toms: 421 top and bottom with a simple y cable, into the same mic preamp bottom wired out of phase.

overheads: SE. VR2 active ribbons in glen johns arrangement

rooms-pair of cascade fat heads into cloudlifters about 4ft on either side of kit maybe 3ft high pointing into gobos.

mono room-neumann u89

mono kit/extra room: royer r101

far weird room: coppertone

close mics and overheads were shadow hills gamma8 preamps
rooms were hardy M1 preamps into distressors
mono room u89 was averill neve 3405 into 1176
mono kit was averil neve 3405 into 1176
weird room was daking preamp and daking limiter feeding a hiwatt tape echo and EH holy grail reverb and a few other pedals and tape delays.

also had a lawson L47 into hardy M1 and 1176 setup for vocals that got printed a as a room on some songs

and pair of 414's into v76 tube preamp on piano that was also printed on some of the drum tracking as a weird room/ambience.

some mic preamp outs were sent to ssl 4056 console for some eq/compression and routing out to protools and phones.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/a6Kxo1x51o9eicHh6

Last edited by crestifer; 7th May 2021 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: can't get pics to post.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen ➡️
The Bomblets are excellent as overheads - I've attached a little test I did after rearranging my kit as in the photo while just messing around. This is all flat with no compression.

The QPP (as well as their LH95 EQs which I use often) are fantastic. Great build quality and the sound is just incredible.
wow. those soyuz sound amazing. i gotta get a pair. have had quite a few people recently tell me how great they are.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestifer ➡️
my first session in almost a decade.

i got really sick 10 years ago and dropped out of the game.

working with a band i'm part of, the strange, from detroit michigan. we are starting a new album this year.

it was fun to be back in the studio making music. really missed this.

tracked at my great friend jason's studio in st.louis.

trying to remember what we used, i think this is right:

kick inside: akg d12

woofer kick out: Neuman 103 with inline pad

snare top: telefunken m80 shorti

toms: 421 top and bottom with a simple y cable, into the same mic preamp bottom wired out of phase.

overheads: SE. VR2 active ribbons in glen johns arrangement

rooms-pair of cascade fat heads into cloudlifters about 4ft on either side of kit maybe 3ft high pointing into gobos.

mono room-neumann u89

mono kit/extra room: royer r101

far weird room: coppertone

close mics and overheads were shadow hills gamma8 preamps
rooms were hardy M1 preamps into distressors
mono room u89 was averill neve 3405 into 1176
mono kit was averil neve 3405 into 1176
weird room was daking preamp and daking limiter feeding a hiwatt tape echo and EH holy grail reverb and a few other pedals and tape delays.

also had a lawson L47 into hardy M1 and 1176 setup for vocals that got printed a as a room on some songs

and pair of 414's into v76 tube preamp on piano that was also printed on some of the drum tracking as a weird room/ambience.

some mic preamp outs were sent to ssl 4056 console for some eq/compression and routing out to protools and phones.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/a6Kxo1x51o9eicHh6

Very cool set up! I like those drums!
Old 8th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot ➡️
Very cool set up! I like those drums!
thanks. 70's ludwig vistalites. ayotte and ludwig snares. super bosphorus cymbals that i love for recording. can brighten up the ribbon overheads and get more snap and top end out of the kit without the cymbals getting crazy.
Old 21st May 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gérald B. ➡️
I hope hope you're gonna be able to play more often !
jep, we started a second Online Collaboration project and I had a lot of fun, - maybe you have some fun too

Since the last little fun project I changed the snare mic to a Sennheiser e906 and the StandTom Mic to a Beyerdynamic TG I51.
Also I added a SABIAN 20" AAX Studio Ride to complete my Set...

Old 21st May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynasonic ➡️
jep, we started a second Online Collaboration project and I had a lot of fun, - maybe you have some fun too

Since the last little fun project I changed the snare mic to a Sennheiser e906 and the StandTom Mic to a Beyerdynamic TG I51.
Also I added a SABIAN 20" AAX Studio Ride to complete my Set...

Great!
Glad you're back at it again!
You all sound good, very nice cover!
Old 22nd May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
24” thunder kick
47fet RI
So good to be jamming again after 14 months of lockdown! 🥳🙌🏽🙌🏽🙌🏽🍺
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-c7a1ac89-e122-4c63-8162-b86388873792.jpg  
Old 22nd May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^^ you can just see the new/old Ludwig “salesman” snare too. Sounds SO GOOD!!
Old 8th June 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I tracked a jazz piano trio at Crossroads in Vancouver, WA a few days ago. I love their huge live room. All running into a Focusrite Rednet Dante system which I think sounds really great!

Kick - Roswell Mini K47 - McAllister Systems MP2 - API 560
Sub - Solomon LoFreq - McAllister Systems MP2
SnTp - Unidyne III - McAllister Systems MP2 - API 550B
SnShell - R122 - McAllister Systems MP2 - Distressor
Hats - KM184 - McAllister Systems MP2
Crotch - R122 - McAllister Systems MP2 - API 550B - Distressor
Toms - e22S - McAllister Systems MP2 - Nightpro EQ3
OHS - Soundelux U95S - McAllister Systems MP2 - RED3 - Manley Pultec
RoomMid - Coles 4038 - Millennia HV-3D - LA3A
RoomFar - KM184 - Millennia HV-3D
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-a6d7ac19-1f79-43be-8a26-338bba645c5e.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-f2b0d79c-9c16-4f2a-b4b5-8b5497a5cea5.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-43372029-b678-4a22-8aa8-d2b506173945.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-25b377bf-3190-410d-9bdf-bf5ba703e893.jpg  
Old 8th June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate ➡️
I tracked a jazz piano trio at Crossroads in Vancouver, WA a few days ago. I love their huge live room. All running into a Focusrite Rednet Dante system which I think sounds really great!

Kick - Roswell Mini K47 - McAllister Systems MP2 - API 560
Sub - Solomon LoFreq - McAllister Systems MP2
SnTp - Unidyne III - McAllister Systems MP2 - API 550B
SnShell - R122 - McAllister Systems MP2 - Distressor
Hats - KM184 - McAllister Systems MP2
Crotch - R122 - McAllister Systems MP2 - API 550B - Distressor
Toms - e22S - McAllister Systems MP2 - Nightpro EQ3
OHS - Soundelux U95S - McAllister Systems MP2 - RED3 - Manley Pultec
RoomMid - Coles 4038 - Millennia HV-3D - LA3A
RoomFar - KM184 - Millennia HV-3D
Nice!!
Can you share some infos on the mcallister mp2 preamps?
Their website doesn’t work properly and there not a lot of info out there..
Topology? What do they sound like?

Thanks!

Cheu
Old 10th June 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

It’s the first time I mic'd my toms top and bottom.
It won’t be the last.
Oriollo Bakar toms are phenomenal.

Interface: Arturia Audiofuse 8pre (2x)
Bass Drum 1: Electro-Voice RE20 with Earthworks KickPad KP1
Bass Drum 2: Audio Technica AT3035
Snare: Earthworks SR25
Tom Top: Shure Beta 98H/C
Tom Bottom: Shure Beta 98AMP
Floor Tom Top: Shure Beta 98H/C
Floor Tom Bottom: Shure Beta 98AMP
Overheads: Earthworks SR25 (2x)
Room: Audio Technica AT3035

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEO54LhzYRE
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-d81_3122.jpg  
Old 11th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Mics for a Purpose

Some may recognize the studio and realize that they could have used any mics they wanted or close to it. Yet look at the choices. Also hard to see but there is a tunnel built off the kick drum with blankets and other things. There are pictures above with similar kick drum tunnels.

This was taken from a video posted on the WBGO website of We All Break, Ches Smith's group, in the studio. Worth watching.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-screen-shot-2021-06-11-8.55.33-am.jpg  
Old 15th June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Crotch Mic!

Been playing with the Crotch Mic over the past week.

I'm using a Red Gauge (omni) and have it angled slightly at the snare shell just to see what it would sound like.

I really like it there! Don't know why I never tried this before all these years. Love what it does to glue the kit together.

Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-crotch-mic-1-06.14.2021.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-crotch-mic-2-06.14.2021.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-crotch-mic-3-06.14.2021.jpg  
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat ➡️

I'm using a Red Gauge (omni) and have it angled slightly at the snare shell just to see what it would sound like.

I really like it there! Don't know why I never tried this before all these years. Love what it does to glue the kit together.
I find some of your drum treatments rather interesting. Care to divulge your reasons and/or secrets?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Crotch mic...

Quote:
I find some of your drum treatments rather interesting. Care to divulge your reasons and/or secrets?

Sure. What would you like to know? Since I haven't taken on many live bands since the Pandemic struck (been doing mostly corporate audio work to stay afloat), what you see in these pics are extremely experimental choices by the way. I usually use a Glyn Johns config for my overheads and augment that with spot mics, snare top/bottom, Kick in/out, toms etc. but wanted to try spaced pair overheads - strictly as overhead mics catching the cymbals with a steep hpf.

This might sound controversial but one thing I've found over the years and confirmed by many of my engineer friends as well as the engineers I admire is that for drums in particular...the mics don't really matter as much as we'd like to pretend. It's drummer > tuning > room > the mix engineer > then everything else. My kit usually sounds like my kit. When I'm drumming, it usually sounds like me playing, same for most drummers. When I'm mixing, it usually sounds like one of my mixes regardless of what gear I use to record with, give or take. :0)

I attached a little snippet of what it sounds like. Me playing all the instruments here. I just whipped something up since I've been recently fascinated with the crotch mic and wanted to try this Red Guage there. I had an EV635a on crotch previously. Again, this is an experimental approach. I'm using more of the room, Crotch Mic and more overheads than I normally would in this style of music. As you can hear, I do a lot of Reggae stuff for fun in my spare time.

Attached Files
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I've had really good luck with an EV 408 in about that same position.
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sure. What would you like to know? Since I haven't taken on many live bands since the Pandemic struck (been doing mostly corporate audio work to stay afloat), what you see in these pics are extremely experimental choices by the way. I usually use a Glyn Johns config for my overheads and augment that with spot mics, snare top/bottom, Kick in/out, toms etc. but wanted to try spaced pair overheads - strictly as overhead mics catching the cymbals with a steep hpf.

This might sound controversial but one thing I've found over the years and confirmed by many of my engineer friends as well as the engineers I admire is that for drums in particular...the mics don't really matter as much as we'd like to pretend. It's drummer > tuning > room > the mix engineer > then everything else. My kit usually sounds like my kit. When I'm drumming, it usually sounds like me playing, same for most drummers. When I'm mixing, it usually sounds like one of my mixes regardless of what gear I use to record with, give or take. :0)

I attached a little snippet of what it sounds like. Me playing all the instruments here. I just whipped something up since I've been recently fascinated with the crotch mic and wanted to try this Red Guage there. I had an EV635a on crotch previously. Again, this is an experimental approach. I'm using more of the room, Crotch Mic and more overheads than I normally would in this style of music. As you can hear, I do a lot of Reggae stuff for fun in my spare time.

I was asking about how you have prepared the kit with gaff tape and other dampening.

Mic'ing looks great too and thanks for the added details on that
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I was asking about how you have prepared the kit with gaff tape and other dampening.

Mic'ing looks great too and thanks for the added details on that
Ah gotcha! the gaffing tape is just to dampen the sustain on the toms and kill the resonance on the snare since the snare is cranked. It's fairly traditional for this style of music. The washcloth on the kick does the same, e.g. shortens the kick drum's decay. I'd love to remove the bottom heads on the toms and the reso on the kick but I'm too lazy and need to keep the kit fairly flexible so I can do multiple styles without too much effort.
📝 Reply