The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio
Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
  #5731
Gear Addict
 
axlepaas's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I think I might have to try that...roughly how high up, and how far away from the kit do you normally go?

kp
Old 4th March 2021 | Show parent
  #5732
Gear Addict
 
axlepaas's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger ➡️
How do you like them Tonelux Sony mics? Any good?
They are fantastic microphones. I'm not familiar with the original Sony J37s(altho, I'm familiar with the C57's, which I love...), so I can't comment on the authenticity of this version to the original....

....but as for the sound? (I hate trying to describe the sound of something) To me, for lack of a better description, the mic has an upside-down smiley face curve....it's got a bold lower, and upper mid thing going on. I wouldn't say it could be used for everything, but when it's right, it's right. For example, we tried it on a number of acoustic guitars and it wasn't my thing, but on drums, piano, and heavy electric guitars, it was quite something. (Again, my opinion, someone might love them on AC guitars....)

Only had the mics for a few months, we demo'd them, and decided to keep em. I'm excited to try them on more things.
Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
  #5733
Lives for gear
 
DeadPoet's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Long-time lurker in this thread but never posted anything ...


I run a small-ish single room studio and had a great drum session over the last few days: a (nu-)metal(-ish) band in which I play bass, with tracks to be mixed by a world-renown mixer. So honored to be part of this project and trying to get the most out of it.

Normally I do a lot of sessions where there's almost no time to set up or one-day tracking & mixing dates. This time I had a whole day to sound check, what a luxury!



KickIn - RE-20 - SeventhCircleAudio A12 - Garash G.Ten - AML EQP-1a
KickOut - Advanced Audio 47FET CE - SCA A12 - Garash G.Ten - AML EQP-1a
SnTop - M-201 - CAPI VP-28 - CAPI BT-50
SnBott - SM-57 (without trafo) - CAPI VP-28 - CAPI BT-50

Hats - M160 - SoundSkulptor MP5.73+EQ5.74 - Kush Electra

Tom/Floor - SM-7b - SCA A12 - CAPI LC40 - Manley Pultec - 51X Audio 560

Overheads - NoHype LRM-2lundahl - AML ez1073 - TheDonClassics 250EQ - 33609J/D

Ride - Josephson C-42 - SS5.73 pre+eq - Kush Electra

RoomClose/stereo - NoHype LRM-V in Blumlein - SCA N72 - Transient Designer - Hairball FET/500A set to stun

RoomFar/mono - M160 - SCA72 - TotalAudioControl EQ-1 - diy ADR Compex760 - Transient Designer

LowKit - Flea47tube - TheDonClassics73 pre+eq




Herwig
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_7847.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_7848.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_7849.jpg  
Old 8th March 2021 | Show parent
  #5734
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet ➡️
Long-time lurker in this thread but never posted anything ...


I run a small-ish single room studio and had a great drum session over the last few days: a (nu-)metal(-ish) band in which I play bass, with tracks to be mixed by a world-renown mixer. So honored to be part of this project and trying to get the most out of it.

Normally I do a lot of sessions where there's almost no time to set up or one-day tracking & mixing dates. This time I had a whole day to sound check, what a luxury!



KickIn - RE-20 - SeventhCircleAudio A12 - Garash G.Ten - AML EQP-1a
KickOut - Advanced Audio 47FET CE - SCA A12 - Garash G.Ten - AML EQP-1a
SnTop - M-201 - CAPI VP-28 - CAPI BT-50
SnBott - SM-57 (without trafo) - CAPI VP-28 - CAPI BT-50

Hats - M160 - SoundSkulptor MP5.73+EQ5.74 - Kush Electra

Tom/Floor - SM-7b - SCA A12 - CAPI LC40 - Manley Pultec - 51X Audio 560

Overheads - NoHype LRM-2lundahl - AML ez1073 - TheDonClassics 250EQ - 33609J/D

Ride - Josephson C-42 - SS5.73 pre+eq - Kush Electra

RoomClose/stereo - NoHype LRM-V in Blumlein - SCA N72 - Transient Designer - Hairball FET/500A set to stun

RoomFar/mono - M160 - SCA72 - TotalAudioControl EQ-1 - diy ADR Compex760 - Transient Designer

LowKit - Flea47tube - TheDonClassics73 pre+eq


Herwig
Nice.....

What's the kit/snare?
Old 8th March 2021 | Show parent
  #5735
Lives for gear
 
DeadPoet's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa ➡️
Nice.....

What's the kit/snare?
Pearl/Pearl. Don't know what type though.
Old 16th March 2021 | Show parent
  #5736
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
beautiful kits and mics!

everyone here has some pretty beautiful setups ...
I don’t have any pictures to share,
but I did want to ask if anyone has used, with positive results, the Beyerdynamic M422n ? it’s supposed to be unique in that it’s kind of built in with a high and low pass filter, but supposed to be excellent on drums. Maybe that makes sense in a live setting, but what about the studio?

Another weird mic I’ve heard of is the Yamaha MZ series, the 204 and 205 i think. anyone have any experience with these? I don’t see them much, or hear much about em, but always wanted one (anyone have a good set they want to sell?

one day i’ll get a good setup going and shoot you all a set of pics.

and just so the post has a little give and take, if anyone hasn’t tried the Audix SCA25a’s as overheads, they were very surprisingly great, quick, needed very little eq, but took to it well when added. And a budget line is those old Groove Tubes / Alesis AM62’s ... a bit subjective on the high end, but as room mics, they really shine.
Old 16th March 2021 | Show parent
  #5737
Gear Addict
 
Tousana's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Used the Yamaha MZ series of mics for several years, they were some of my favorite drum mics. Yamaha only made them for a few years and they are very hard to find. A studio I worked at had two full sets, We usually only used them on toms and never experimented with the MZ 204 I think was the larger mic on Kick, usually just toms 205 hi and mid, 204 on the floor. If you can find them buy them!
Old 19th March 2021 | Show parent
  #5738
Lives for gear
 
Ward Pike's Avatar
 
15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousana ➡️
Used the Yamaha MZ series of mics for several years, they were some of my favorite drum mics. Yamaha only made them for a few years and they are very hard to find. A studio I worked at had two full sets, We usually only used them on toms and never experimented with the MZ 204 I think was the larger mic on Kick, usually just toms 205 hi and mid, 204 on the floor. If you can find them buy them!
I have one Yammy MZ205be in my snare drum mic arsenal. It can tame the brightest snare with the greatest of ease.
Old 19th March 2021 | Show parent
  #5739
Drum recording in a friend's photography loft last weekend. Lovely place!

Gefell UM70 as overheads
SM57 Unidyne III on snare
AKG D24 on toms
MD421 and MD441 on bass drum
Coles 4038 as distand kick and kit
RCA 77d for the kit
Neumann UM57 for the room downstairs in the hall.

So just 10 mics.

All into V376 and V276 pres, some Electrodyne EQs, some TAB W95c EQs, Urei 1178 on overheads... all on the way in to Metric Halo ULN 8 and LIO 8
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-ptw_9520_ps.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-ptw_9544_ps.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-ptw_9554_ps.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-ptw_9584_ps.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-ptw_9596_ps.jpg  

Attached Files

747_Drums Bass Mix_d2.mp3 (7.30 MB, 2410 views)

Old 19th March 2021 | Show parent
  #5740
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahstlz ➡️
Drum recording in a friend's potography loft. Lovely place!

Gefell UM70 as overheads
SM57 Unidyne III on snare
AKG D24 on toms
MD421 and MD441 on bass drum
Coles 4038 as distand kick and kit
RCA 77d for the kit
Neumann UM57 for the room downstairs in the hall.

So just 10 mics.

All into V376 and V276 pres, some Electrodyne EQs, some TAB W95c EQs, Urei 1178 on overheads... all on the way in to Metric Halo ULN 8 and LIO 8
Sounds killer. I miss Gefells, UM70's are amazing...
Old 20th March 2021 | Show parent
  #5741
Lives for gear
 
roger's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahstlz ➡️
Drum recording in a friend's photography loft last weekend. Lovely place!

Gefell UM70 as overheads
SM57 Unidyne III on snare
AKG D24 on toms
MD421 and MD441 on bass drum
Coles 4038 as distand kick and kit
RCA 77d for the kit
Neumann UM57 for the room downstairs in the hall.

So just 10 mics.

All into V376 and V276 pres, some Electrodyne EQs, some TAB W95c EQs, Urei 1178 on overheads... all on the way in to Metric Halo ULN 8 and LIO 8
Very Muse very noice!
Old 20th March 2021 | Show parent
  #5742
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahstlz ➡️
Drum recording in a friend's photography loft last weekend. Lovely place!

Gefell UM70 as overheads
SM57 Unidyne III on snare
AKG D24 on toms
MD421 and MD441 on bass drum
Coles 4038 as distand kick and kit
RCA 77d for the kit
Neumann UM57 for the room downstairs in the hall.

So just 10 mics.

All into V376 and V276 pres, some Electrodyne EQs, some TAB W95c EQs, Urei 1178 on overheads... all on the way in to Metric Halo ULN 8 and LIO 8
THIIIIIICK!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5743
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Doing wee bit of prep for drum recordings i'm going to be doing when I get 2 weeks holiday at the end of this month, so took a couple of snaps, and a quick snip if how it all sounds 'bare tracked'

Tama kit, with Mapex Brass snare, Paiste PST7 cymbals.

Overheads > Sontonics STC-1 pair in ORTF > Louder Than Liftoff Silver Bullet
Main Room > SE X1-R Ribbons in Blumlein > Audient ASP800, HMX & Iron 50%
"Nuke Room" > AT conferencing mic > Elysia Skulpter 60% Shape 1, Comp around half
Kick > EV PL33 > Camden 500 (50% Thump)
Snare Top > Audix i5 > Camden 500 (50% Cream, HP On)
Snare Bottom > Sm57 > Audient ASP800
Rack > Heil PR28 > Audient ASP800
Floor > Shure PG52 > Audient ASP800

No EQ or Comps on tracking (except the Skulpter on the Boundary mic) - this is mainly because it's a drag trying to 'self-engineer' when playing, so I I will usually track then run an outboard 'pass' to taste through various 500 pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-20210417_133511.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-20210417_133528.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-20210417_133543.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-20210417_133557.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-20210417_133606.jpg  

Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-20210417_134015.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-20210417_134035.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-20210417_134101.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-20210417_134120.jpg  
Attached Files

Drum Snip.mp3 (1.06 MB, 1576 views)

Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5744
Lives for gear
 
jjblair's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Just realized I never posted these from last year. Greg Morrow's kit at Sound Emporium in Nashville, while I was making Eric Gales' record.

Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-17205c4d-c9da-4ebb-8933-b24973b5445d.jpg
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_8665.jpg
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_8664.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-17205c4d-c9da-4ebb-8933-b24973b5445d.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_8665.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_8664.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5745
ILR
Here for the gear
 
ILR's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Mask up those drums!

Recent session @ boc ceRecordingCo

OHs Sony c38b’s
RMs Aea R88
K1 d112
K2 Aea 44
SnT 201
SnB 57
RT 88
FT e22
Kit Telefunken u48
Hat sm7b
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-f5f6ae8a-b201-49dc-9973-8927eaa55898.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-182e8d60-a775-4651-85dd-d7eda10632f7.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-e6320921-0905-485c-a44a-5ce6ee9dd1e3.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-4cdfc3ec-4e60-40ef-9f0c-7cba41547903.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5746
Lives for gear
 
bleen's Avatar
Mucking about with some new cymbals in my studio. Just a quick phone pic, but they sound lovely!

Kick in: Beta91A
Kick out: Soyuz Bomblet
Snare top & bottom: Beyer m201s
OHs wide: Bomblets
OH center: Flea 249
Hi-hat: 57 with Crimson trafo mod
Floor tom: ATM25

All pre's are Iron Age Audio QPP except for the floor tom which was a Hairball Copper.

Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5747
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen ➡️
Mucking about with some new cymbals in my studio. Just a quick phone pic, but they sound lovely!

Kick in: Beta91A
Kick out: Soyuz Bomblet
Snare top & bottom: Beyer m201s
OHs wide: Bomblets
OH center: Flea 249
Hi-hat: 57 with Crimson trafo mod
Floor tom: ATM25

All pre's are Iron Age Audio QPP except for the floor tom which was a Hairball Copper.

What do you think about the bomblets as OH?
What's your opinion about the Iron Age pres? Iron age have two new 500 modules that are channel strips in a one space module and look really interesting.

Hope you'll post a clip or two. Appreciate your opinion on those
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5748
Lives for gear
 
bleen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han ➡️
What do you think about the bomblets as OH?
What's your opinion about the Iron Age pres? Iron age have two new 500 modules that are channel strips in a one space module and look really interesting.

Hope you'll post a clip or two. Appreciate your opinion on those
The Bomblets are excellent as overheads - I've attached a little test I did after rearranging my kit as in the photo while just messing around. This is all flat with no compression.

The QPP (as well as their LH95 EQs which I use often) are fantastic. Great build quality and the sound is just incredible.
Attached Files

NewAgop.mp3 (9.06 MB, 1276 views)

Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5749
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen ➡️
The Bomblets are excellent as overheads - I've attached a little test I did after rearranging my kit as in the photo while just messing around. This is all flat with no compression.

The QPP (as well as their LH95 EQs which I use often) are fantastic. Great build quality and the sound is just incredible.
Any tone is only as good as the playing, and this sounds great, good job! But really, no compression, limiting or leveling of any kind? I threw the clip to Logic out of interest. I've had the pleasure to play with some world class drummers, but haven't yet met one who could hit 3 minutes straight and get every single kick and snare hit withing 0,1db range.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5750
Lives for gear
 
bleen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMus ➡️
Any tone is only as good as the playing, and this sounds great, good job! But really, no compression, limiting or leveling of any kind? I threw the clip to Logic out of interest. I've had the pleasure to play with some world class drummers, but haven't yet met one who could hit 3 minutes straight and get every single kick and snare hit withing 0,1db range.
Haha! No, I did apply a little limiting on the master to bring the level up to comfortable listening levels, but that's all I'm not good enough to be that consistent, I promise!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5751
Lives for gear
 
vernier's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
ATM33R overhead and D12 on bass drum. I love this kit, bits and pieces from garage sales.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-drums.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5752
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILR ➡️
Recent session @ boc ceRecordingCo

OHs Sony c38b’s
RMs Aea R88
K1 d112
K2 Aea 44
SnT 201
SnB 57
RT 88
FT e22
Kit Telefunken u48
Hat sm7b

I’ve seen a few drummers with a second kick drum in front which is miked up. Never tried this before. What does it add that you wouldn’t get from miking a single kick drum?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5753
ILR
Here for the gear
 
ILR's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Crazy how the photos uploaded. Real Pro here. Haha. In this instance, the main kick was a little boxy and small sounding, but played better than the others available. So I used the second bass drum for resonance and a lower octave. The music was not overly complex or fast. I liked how you could almost use it as a acoustic 808. Thump and bump. 🤙🏽
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5754
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILR ➡️
The music was not overly complex or fast. I liked how you could almost use it as a acoustic 808. Thump and bump. 🤙🏽
LOL Acoustic 808 , the 808 is the grandfather of the electronic beat. Sounds like : to butter one's bread on both sides.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5755
Lives for gear
 
gravyface's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat ➡️
I’ve seen a few drummers with a second kick drum in front which is miked up. Never tried this before. What does it add that you wouldn’t get from miking a single kick drum?
kick tunnel. I tried it once and thought it added a bit more low end resonance; 30-40Hz subby stuff. Worked well for leakage too, as that second bass drum shields from overhead, snare, etc.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5756
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat ➡️
I’ve seen a few drummers with a second kick drum in front which is miked up. Never tried this before. What does it add that you wouldn’t get from miking a single kick drum?
it's mainly a mechanical filter and can add a bit of sustain to an otherwise dry kick - i find it about as useless as a 'sub-kick'/woofer used as a mic.

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 09:30 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5757
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Two different things.
Kick tunnels are pretty common. They are mostly used to focus the bass drum sound and limit the bass drum leakage into other kit mics and room mics.
Second approach is a second bass drum. This is usually a larger, resonating drum with no damping. It just adds a boomy rumble to your kick sound.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5758
Lives for gear
 
gravyface's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
Two different things.
Kick tunnels are pretty common. They are mostly used to focus the bass drum sound and limit the bass drum leakage into other kit mics and room mics.
Second approach is a second bass drum. This is usually a larger, resonating drum with no damping. It just adds a boomy rumble to your kick sound.
Good article here with some pics.
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...chniques#para9
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5759
Lives for gear
 
vernier's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA ➡️
Finally got the first single from this session out. Covid delayed things quite a bit.

I updated the gear list with preamps and compressors.

Anyway, here's the drums in context (also on Spotify, Apple Music, etc...)

Nice ! !
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5760
Lives for gear
 
Robby in WA's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier ➡️
Nice ! !
Thanks! Needed that, as today is the day we track drums for another song. First session with the band since that one. Another one in 5/4, only this is at 57 bpm Going for a more Radiohead type sound....
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 62 views: 25642
Avatar for chessparov2.0
chessparov2.0 21st December 2020
replies: 527 views: 161004
Avatar for sourpatch
sourpatch 1 week ago
replies: 1166 views: 258595
Avatar for Jimbo99
Jimbo99 2 weeks ago
replies: 38 views: 12662
Avatar for Ward Pike
Ward Pike 23rd December 2010
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump