The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio
Old 29th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome ➡️
regarding the paper.. I remember hearing stuff like that for metal ..its got to have a swishy type of sound to it ..no?
With the closed front head I don‘t get any of this...possibly with an open/ported head or if you put a mic inside, maybe...
But here, the desired effect is one of dampening, but less than a pillow or blanket.
I must admit, the metal connection is news to me. But, yeah, why not?
Old 30th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey I never take photos of my setups but I saw so many great pics of drums on this thread I thought I have to take at least one pic. So here it is in it's full glory.
Pretty standard setup except that I used 2 different OH approaches ...

Kick in - Beta 52
Kick out - Heisermann U47Fet
SN Top - Beyer 201
SN Bot - Shure Beta 87
OH 1 - Sonotronics (dunno the number)
OH 2 (front of kit - William Wittman inspired) - Custom made Tube Condensers
Floor - AKG 112
Racks - Sennheiser 421
Room - AT 4050
Wurst - AEA R84
Ride - Sennheiser MKH 80
Hat - KM 184
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-drumrec1.jpg  
Old 31st January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo ➡️
Hey I never take photos of my setups but I saw so many great pics of drums on this thread I thought I have to take at least one pic. So here it is in it's full glory.

Kick in - Beta 52
SN Top - Beyer 201
SN Bot - Shure Beta 87
Floor - AKG 112
Racks - Sennheiser 421
Room - AT 4050
Wurst - AEA R84
Ride - Sennheiser MKH 80
Hat - KM 184
All choices are your own and certainly up to you... if I could make one suggestion here it would be to switch the 201 and the KM184.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Kick in - Beta 52
SN Top - Beyer 201
SN Bot - Shure Beta 87
Floor - AKG 112
Racks - Sennheiser 421
Room - AT 4050
Wurst - AEA R84
Ride - Sennheiser MKH 80
Hat - KM 184
I'm quite interested in the OH2 and if you can tell us about how they turned out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
All choices are your own and certainly up to you... if I could make one suggestion here it would be to switch the 201 and the KM184.
I do really like the M201 on hats myself.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➡️
I'm quite interested in the OH2 and if you can tell us about how they turned out.
I haven't mixed yet but pretty much decided on which songs I use which OH configuration. My WW configuration is used when it has to be more rock'n roll sounding. The traditional OH config comes into play for all pop oriented tracks. I could totally use the 4 mic idea from WW for a rock "retro" record. I really like the sound. Try it for your enjoyment :D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
a KM184 on snare - will try it one day! The KM184 replaced a SM7 on this session just because it went more in the direction I needed it ...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I haven't mixed yet but pretty much decided on which songs I use which OH configuration. My WW configuration is used when it has to be more rock'n roll sounding. The traditional OH config comes into play for all pop oriented tracks. I could totally use the 4 mic idea from WW for a rock "retro" record. I really like the sound. Try it for your enjoyment :D
I really do need to try it. I remember reading a really detailed piece about Joan Osbourne forever ago where William talked about that technique. I haven't thought about it in a long time. Thanks for the inspiration.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for the inspiration.
Happy to give something back - your pics got me inspired more than once!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Happy to give something back - your pics got me inspired more than once!
Aw, thanks man!
Old 2nd February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

The "Lil Albini" AKA "The Conjoined Triangles of Success"

After a few days of experimenting mostly with OH and RM configurations in my new, small (15'x15') room, I finally landed on this setup, which is pretty comparable to some Albini setups I've seen. Remind me not to try to reinvent the wheel next time

Front of kit: SF-12 > Pacifica > Zener Limiter
"Overheads": 4038s > REDD47s > RS124s
Snare top: MA-100 > Germanium > LC53A
Kick in / out: D112 / United 47FET > BAE 1073Ds > SB4001
Rooms (X/Y in far corner): Lulu Tubes > Fearn VT1s > Retro 176s
Rooms (omni on floor in side corners): ELAM 260s > BAE 1073s > BAE 10DCFs
Floor tom: M88 > TG2 > Electra
Wurst-ish: Sputnik > TG2 > Electra

Pretty natural representation of the kit overall, with the SF-12 anchoring it and the 4038s providing width and cymbal sustain. The corner X/Y room mics add huge low end to the kick and some depth to the snare.

Later got rid of the Sputnik (which added some definition to kick and snare, but not enough) and added kick beater and snare side mics instead. I'll probably try a mono overhead as well, but not optimistic that it will jive with the OH / FOK arrangement phase-wise.

Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-drum-kit-setup.jpg  
Old 13th February 2021
Here for the gear

Hi,
in the last few weeks I tried to optimize my hobby recording setup.
First of all and very important: I removed that cheap black acoustic foam and built 10 absorbers (Basotect 7 - 10cm) and placed them on different walls in my room and also on the ceiling.
Next, I added a 18" Crash to my set.
I replaced the AKG D112 with a M88.
Most important: I did some "click sessions" and I practiced hard because I was completely out of practice
Here's a photo of my current setup:
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-rogers.jpg  
Old 13th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynasonic ➡️
Hi,
in the last few weeks I tried to optimize my hobby recording setup.
First of all and very important: I removed that cheap black acoustic foam and built 10 absorbers (Basotect 7 - 10cm) and placed them on different walls in my room and also on the ceiling.
Next, I added a 18" Crash to my set.
I replaced the AKG D112 with a M88.
Most important: I did some "click sessions" and I practiced hard because I was completely out of practice
Here's a photo of my current setup:
Lovely Rogers set!
Old 13th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Lovely Rogers set!
Thanks,
Jep, I love my old set. I bought it 15 years ago for a Booker T & the MGs Project ... it's a completely different feeling compared to these "modern sets".
Btw. two hours ago, my old Dynasonic Snare got a pair of new Remo Ambassador drum heads, - that means, the last photo is once again a bit "out of date" ...
Old 14th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks,
Jep, I love my old set. I bought it 15 years ago for a Booker T & the MGs Project ... it's a completely different feeling compared to these "modern sets".
Btw. two hours ago, my old Dynasonic Snare got a pair of new Remo Ambassador drum heads, - that means, the last photo is once again a bit "out of date" ...
Every Rogers set I've played or recorded was just wonderful. There was one a few hours away for sale about a year ago, and I didn't have the space, but wanted it really badly.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Every Rogers set I've played or recorded was just wonderful. There was one a few hours away for sale about a year ago, and I didn't have the space, but wanted it really badly.
I haven't played drums the last 10 years, ... I changed to guitar because it's more family compatible
But in the last few weeks I rediscovered my drum because I was asked to join a "online collaboration project" with some friends...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I haven't played drums the last 10 years, ... I changed to guitar because it's more family compatible
But in the last few weeks I rediscovered my drum because I was asked to join a "online collaboration project" with some friends...
That sounds and feels great, man! Seems like it was a fun project to be part of.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
This is from last week. I played it with a mallet, not playing the whole drumset. There's in e602 on the batter head, and this is a Pro 37 with some serious EQ so that the bottle mic is just for thump.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-bottle-mic.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This is from last week. I played it with a mallet, not playing the whole drumset. There's in e602 on the batter head, and this is a Pro 37 with some serious EQ so that the bottle mic is just for thump.
Right! We gotta hear that, dude!!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Glad you were asked to join this project and that it brought you back on drums... you have a really nice feel and groove !
I hope hope you're gonna be able to play more often !
Old 15th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Merci beaucoup ! ... for your kind words and the nice compliment.
Old 15th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger ➡️
Right! We gotta hear that, dude!!
I'll try to remember to get a sample happening.
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Wow, very interesting! Would love to hear what this sounds like...
Old 2nd March 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm working on a song for a fellow UA forum member. The drums are Pearl Masters maple, Sabian HHX cymbal assortment. Recorded with 3 UA Apollo x8/x8p interfaces. Miced as follows.

Kick In - Shure Beta 52a, UA API Vision Unison pre
Kick Out - Townsend L22/U47 emulation, UA API Vision Unison pre
Snares - Shure SM57, UA API Vision Unison pre
Toms - Shure Beta 98amp, UA Neve 88RS Unison pre
Hi Hat - AKG 451, UA Neve 88RS Unison pre
Overheads - Shure KSM32, UA Neve Unison pre
Front of kit (not pictured) - Cascade X15 stereo ribbon, UA Neve Unison pre
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-t-qcz1d-rqmua4mcl6-mmq_thumb_16ce.jpg  
Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtama ➡️
I'm working on a song for a fellow UA forum member. The drums are Pearl Masters maple, Sabian HHX cymbal assortment. Recorded with 3 UA Apollo x8/x8p interfaces. Miced as follows.

Kick In - Shure Beta 52a, UA API Vision Unison pre
Kick Out - Townsend L22/U47 emulation, UA API Vision Unison pre
Snares - Shure SM57, UA API Vision Unison pre
Toms - Shure Beta 98amp, UA Neve 88RS Unison pre
Hi Hat - AKG 451, UA Neve 88RS Unison pre
Overheads - Shure KSM32, UA Neve Unison pre
Front of kit (not pictured) - Cascade X15 stereo ribbon, UA Neve Unison pre
I've been using a pair of ribbons for room mics lately and would like to get a chance to try an X15. Can you tell me what it's doing for you and what you like about it?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've been using a pair of ribbons for room mics lately and would like to get a chance to try an X15. Can you tell me what it's doing for you and what you like about it?
I record in a small room 13' X 19' X 9', so room mics don't make much sense. I typically use UA Ocean Way Studios to get room sounds while mixing. The X15 in front of the kit by itself is nothing special. However, if you add some compression and a transient shaping plugin you can get some interesting and potentially useful sounds to blend into the mix.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
A session I engineered about a month ago. Lots of variations of room mics. We needed to get a variety of tones that day. Kick and snare was swapped out throughout the day.

kp
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_3531.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_3532.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_3533.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_3534.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_3535.jpg  

Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by axlepaas ➡️
A session I engineered about a month ago. Lots of variations of room mics. We needed to get a variety of tones that day. Kick and snare was swapped out throughout the day.

kp
Great mic selections and placements also. Love to know all your complete recording chains please.

Thanks for sharing! (love your gobos too)
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks Ward

I'm a little spoiled where I work (Mission Sound in Brooklyn)

Kick In - D112
Kick Out - Vintage Fet47
Snr Top - 57
Snr Btm - (I think)AT4022
Toms - Josephson E22's
OH's - Tonelux JC37's
"attack" mic - Royer r101
HH - KM84
Mid room mic - AEA R88
Far Rooms(against wall) Vintage 87's in cardioid
TB room mic - 414B-ULS in omni

All of these mics went into our lovely Neve 80 series console. Dash of EQ here and there...

As for compression, I'm hoping I remember this right. On the Royer R101, a touch of Distressor. On the R88's it was the Fatso, hit fairly hard. The 87's I believe had our Valley 610 compressor. We needed an aggressive room sound for a particular track.....ah yes, and the TB mic had a healthy dose of DBX160VU!

....I had a similar setup with the 87's on a session a few weeks earlier, in which we ended up running them thru the Lex480...massive sounding.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks Ward

I'm a little spoiled where I work (Mission Sound in Brooklyn)

Kick In - D112
Kick Out - Vintage Fet47
Snr Top - 57
Snr Btm - (I think)AT4022
Toms - Josephson E22's
OH's - Tonelux JC37's
"attack" mic - Royer r101
HH - KM84
Mid room mic - AEA R88
Far Rooms(against wall) Vintage 87's in cardioid
TB room mic - 414B-ULS in omni

All of these mics went into our lovely Neve 80 series console. Dash of EQ here and there...

As for compression, I'm hoping I remember this right. On the Royer R101, a touch of Distressor. On the R88's it was the Fatso, hit fairly hard. The 87's I believe had our Valley 610 compressor. We needed an aggressive room sound for a particular track.....ah yes, and the TB mic had a healthy dose of DBX160VU!

....I had a similar setup with the 87's on a session a few weeks earlier, in which we ended up running them thru the Lex480...massive sounding.
How do you like them Tonelux Sony mics? Any good?
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks Ward

We needed an aggressive room sound for a particular track.....ah yes, and the TB mic had a healthy dose of DBX160VU!

For an alternative funky massive room sound, set two 87s in cardior in front of the kick aimed at the far corners (aimed away from the kick of course), crush them and flip the phase. Doesn't often work but when it does . . . eyes and ears pop.
📝 Reply