The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio
Old 29th September 2015
  #4201
279793
Guest
It's been 11 (or I suppose 12 now) posts since any pictures of mic'd up drum kits.

Just saying.
Old 29th September 2015 | Show parent
  #4202
Lives for gear
 
valjean24601's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianFernandez ➡️
Maybe post the drum clip w/o the original tracks, so you can actually hear your drum tones... Cool project though.
Yeah I can do that for sure, i'll dig out the session files tomorrow. I just thought people would be better able to judge the accuracy of the drum sounds in the context of the songs rather than in isolation.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 30th September 2015 | Show parent
  #4203
Lives for gear
 
roger's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Combo D12e + 441 on snare (great btw! Guts + snap)
AT4047 kick
RE20 floor Tom
4038s OHs
Various room mics being abused in various ways but out of shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-image_2885_0.jpg  
Old 30th September 2015 | Show parent
  #4204
Gear Nut
 
lwetli's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I had to share this pic from today, mainly because I managed to capture no mics in pic.
U87 overhead
421 on snare and kick
57 room
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-image.jpg  
Old 1st October 2015 | Show parent
  #4205
Lives for gear
 
studjo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwetli ➡️
I had to share this pic from today, mainly because I managed to capture no mics in pic.
quite an achievement
Old 1st October 2015 | Show parent
  #4206
Gear Maniac
 
drumrec.com's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann ➡️
Hell, yeah, I wished drummers would show up more often with a well tuned and balanced kit like this. Be that sound 80s or not, it sounds great and could be useful in way more styles than 80s.
Thanks 4 the kind words @ jensenmann and @ Drumsound

It was a fun session and it is as you say @ jensen man it would work in several styles than 80s. It's just dry and low pitch drums

Kind Regards
H.Hansson
Old 3rd October 2015 | Show parent
  #4207
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
70's Pearl Fiberglass

Recently acquired this 70's Pearl Fiberglass kit. It actually has blown me away, and I have a lot of great vintage kits like Gretsch round badge, Ludwig thermogloss, etc. These pearls are super aggressive sounding, tons of attack.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-image.jpg  
Old 6th October 2015 | Show parent
  #4208
Gear Maniac
 
Rascal Audio's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C Johnson ➡️
Recently acquired this 70's Pearl Fiberglass kit. It actually has blown me away, and I have a lot of great vintage kits like Gretsch round badge, Ludwig thermogloss, etc. These pearls are super aggressive sounding, tons of attack.
I wish my Pearl fiberglass kit hat that finish! It originally did (in 1975) but got an automotive paint job (complete with racing stripes!) at some point by a previous owner. He painted over the original finish, though, so I was able to rewrap them without problem, though they're just white now. I do love those old satin/opalescent finishes though.

That's a beautiful kit you have there!

And yes, great drums! Very loud and musical.

Joel
Old 6th October 2015 | Show parent
  #4209
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal Audio ➡️
I wish my Pearl fiberglass kit hat that finish! It originally did (in 1975) but got an automotive paint job (complete with racing stripes!) at some point by a previous owner. He painted over the original finish, though, so I was able to rewrap them without problem, though they're just white now. I do love those old satin/opalescent finishes though.

That's a beautiful kit you have there!

And yes, great drums! Very loud and musical.

Joel
Thanks Joel! Haha, racing stripes could be cool!
Old 7th October 2015
  #4210
Lives for gear
 
Dr. Mordo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
My buddy has one of those Pearl fibreglass kits, and it is the one and only Pearl kit I have ever coveted.
Old 8th October 2015 | Show parent
  #4211
Lives for gear
 
everybody's x's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2015muzik ➡️
Here's a session I did a little while back tracking Arejay Hale from Halestorm, can't remember everything I ended up using on the kit except for...

Coles 4038 on overheads
Vintage Tele 251's in omni in the room I they ended up going into the fair child
RCA 77 DX for mono room mic
I believe a u47 fet outside the kick and a Beta 52a inside
SM57 on the snare, and a KM84i on the bottom
I can't for the life of me recall what's on the toms and my phone is too blurry to make it out in the photo or what ended up on the hi hats.

All went into the 1073's on the console
The Hale siblings are amazing people
Did he use those 38 pound 4' sticks? Haha
Old 10th October 2015
  #4212
Deleted 2ef94c5
Guest
beyer m160s on FOK
gefell m582s with omni caps on distant room
josephson e22 on top snare
km84 on bottom snare
josephson e22 on all toms
d112 on outside kick
pcm91 on inside kick
8" genelec woofer on subkick
AEA R88 on OHs (alternating with spaced Wunder cm12s)
km84 on HH (but rarely used)

Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-drum2.jpg  
Old 10th October 2015 | Show parent
  #4213
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x ➡️
The Hale siblings are amazing people
Did he use those 38 pound 4' sticks? Haha
Arejay is one dope drummer and lovely guy! Yes he loves those big phat sticks! He made my 60s Rogers sound badass!
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-arejay-hale_halestorm_clarence-jey.jpg  

Last edited by CJ1973; 10th October 2015 at 06:59 AM..
Old 10th October 2015 | Show parent
  #4214
Moderator
 
Trev@Circle's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Here's one from a session this week. U47 in front of kit, Coles underheads, u87 on snare, D12 on kick (the 87 and D12 were for an alt version of the same recordings as the producer wanted them) and an M49 on room. All going to my AML sidecar. Sublime.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-image.jpg  
Old 11th October 2015 | Show parent
  #4215
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr3 ➡️
beyer m160s on FOK
gefell m582s with omni caps on distant room
josephson e22 on top snare
km84 on bottom snare
josephson e22 on all toms
d112 on outside kick
pcm91 on inside kick
8" genelec woofer on subkick
AEA R88 on OHs (alternating with spaced Wunder cm12s)
km84 on HH (but rarely used)


this is such a nice recording room
Old 11th October 2015
  #4216
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
A lovely session in a killer room in Baltimore, MD. M82 and e602 on kick, Unidyne III/MD441 on snare top/bottom, Josephsons around the toms, C414EBs on OH, R88 for near rooms, C414s spaced omni pair for far rooms.



Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_3917.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_3918.jpg  
Old 11th October 2015
  #4217
Gear Maniac
 
Meistersounds CH's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Drum recording in the garage.

Kick: beyer m99
Kick out: beyer mc740
Snare top: heil pr30
Snare btm: senn md441
Toms: beyer m201
Ohs: beyer mc913
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-image.jpg  
Old 11th October 2015
  #4218
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Beech House Big Mono Drums

left / right coles in front with mono price overhead - d12 kick - 57 snr - 421 floor
and a mini d12 on rack
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-beech-house-big-mono-drums-2-21.jpg  
Old 11th October 2015 | Show parent
  #4219
Deleted 2ef94c5
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd17 ➡️
this is such a nice recording room
Thanks

Cris Pelonis design. He loves using staggered brick which sounds as good as it looks.

That was an old Rogers kit btw, with a couple random snares - the Noble and Cooley aluminum and maple are usually my favorites.

Here's another one - a Bleifuss kit in the room next door. Its a tighter sounding room that I like to use for jazz kits - which helps free the big room up for piano during live takes.

cm12s OHs
km84s on toms
e22 on snare
d112 on kick

Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-full.jpg  
Old 12th October 2015 | Show parent
  #4220
Lives for gear
 
Blaine Misner's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
Here's one from a session this week. U47 in front of kit, Coles underheads, u87 on snare, D12 on kick (the 87 and D12 were for an alt version of the same recordings as the producer wanted them) and an M49 on room. All going to my AML sidecar. Sublime.
post a clip of this tone PLZ!!!!
Old 12th October 2015 | Show parent
  #4221
Moderator
 
Trev@Circle's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Misner ➡️
post a clip of this tone PLZ!!!!
Sorry man. It was a commercial session so I don't have the right to post it. I can tell you it will be on release early in the new year if that helps...
Old 13th October 2015 | Show parent
  #4222
Deleted 2ef94c5
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
Here's one from a session this week. U47 in front of kit, Coles underheads, u87 on snare, D12 on kick (the 87 and D12 were for an alt version of the same recordings as the producer wanted them) and an M49 on room. All going to my AML sidecar. Sublime.
Coles underheads.. gotta try that!

What the sound like and what genres do you use this technique on?
Old 13th October 2015
  #4223
Lives for gear
 
bleen's Avatar
Pics from this last week's session; conversion was Burl Mothership :

Kick in: Beta91a->Vintech 473->Distressor
Kick out: 47fet->Quad Eight desk pre
Snare top: KM84->Vintech 473->Distressor
Snare bottom: Beta57->desk
OHs: Schoeps CMC6/MK4->Vintech 473s
Hi-hat: SM7->desk
Rack toms: Josephson e22s->desk
Floor toms: AT4047s->desk
Mono overhead: Reslo ribbon->Forssell SMP-2->MC77 all buttons in
Far rooms: 4038s->custom pre's->TG-1
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-glion-drums-1.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-glion-drums-2.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-glion-drums-3.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-glion-drums-4.jpg  
Old 13th October 2015 | Show parent
  #4224
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen ➡️
Pics from this last week's session; conversion was Burl Mothership :

Kick in: Beta91a->Vintech 473->Distressor
Kick out: 47fet->Quad Eight desk pre
Snare top: KM84->Vintech 473->Distressor
Snare bottom: Beta57->desk
OHs: Schoeps CMC6/MK4->Vintech 473s
Hi-hat: SM7->desk
Rack toms: Josephson e22s->desk
Floor toms: AT4047s->desk
Mono overhead: Reslo ribbon->Forssell SMP-2->MC77 all buttons in
Far rooms: 4038s->custom pre's->TG-1
Are you plaiyng and engineering on this? Is there an assistant at the studio? How do you deal with both?
Old 13th October 2015 | Show parent
  #4225
Lives for gear
 
bleen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➡️
Are you playing and engineering on this? Is there an assistant at the studio? How do you deal with both?
No assistant; I'm running the computer from my phone and I have the bass player bash the kit while I get sounds in the CR. I'm so used to doing this that it isn't unusual for me.

Whatever room I'm working in, I'll set up the computer to let me control it from my phone so I can always go out in the big room for vocal ODs or hand claps, or just be out there to cheerlead while a part is going down. More fun than sitting on my ass in the CR!
Old 13th October 2015 | Show parent
  #4226
Lives for gear
 
RightOnRome's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr3 ➡️
Thanks

Cris Pelonis design. He loves using staggered brick which sounds as good as it looks.

That was an old Rogers kit btw, with a couple random snares - the Noble and Cooley aluminum and maple are usually my favorites.

Here's another one - a Bleifuss kit in the room next door. Its a tighter sounding room that I like to use for jazz kits - which helps free the big room up for piano during live takes.

cm12s OHs
km84s on toms
e22 on snare
d112 on kick

KM84's on toms!! ..just 1 mis-hit/swing and…. oh man …..have you ever seen what happens to an old 57 cap
Old 13th October 2015 | Show parent
  #4227
Lives for gear
 
bleen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome ➡️
KM84's on toms!! ..just 1 mis-hit/swing and…. oh man …..have you ever seen what happens to an old 57 cap
Hell, in my post a couple above yours I have a KM84 on the snare and e22s on the rack toms. That's almost $5k of potential damage!
Old 13th October 2015 | Show parent
  #4228
Deleted 2ef94c5
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome ➡️
KM84's on toms!! ..just 1 mis-hit/swing and…. oh man …..have you ever seen what happens to an old 57 cap
lol thats a choice I make based on the drummer and the style. In this case it was Matt Wilson using a lot of brushes.

Also, I forgot to mention I had a r121 on kick as well. (the at4050 on HH didn't get used)
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_6236.jpg  
Old 14th October 2015 | Show parent
  #4229
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen ➡️
No assistant; I'm running the computer from my phone and I have the bass player bash the kit while I get sounds in the CR. I'm so used to doing this that it isn't unusual for me.

Whatever room I'm working in, I'll set up the computer to let me control it from my phone so I can always go out in the big room for vocal ODs or hand claps, or just be out there to cheerlead while a part is going down. More fun than sitting on my ass in the CR!
Dig it. I need to get a way to do that.
Old 14th October 2015 | Show parent
  #4230
Lives for gear
 
RightOnRome's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen ➡️
Hell, in my post a couple above yours I have a KM84 on the snare and e22s on the rack toms. That's almost $5k of potential damage!
o
holy crap..just realized that .. wow ...you guys are my idols! ..i work with too many noobs!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 62 views: 25573
Avatar for chessparov2.0
chessparov2.0 21st December 2020
replies: 527 views: 160933
Avatar for sourpatch
sourpatch 1 week ago
replies: 1166 views: 258242
Avatar for Jimbo99
Jimbo99 1 week ago
replies: 38 views: 12627
Avatar for Ward Pike
Ward Pike 23rd December 2010
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump