The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your Favorite 47-style mic...
Old 23rd July 2011
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Your Favorite 47-style mic...

As usual, I've posted in High End because I always get the best answers
from the most knowledgeable and experienced blokes here.

I'm looking for a U47-style mic solution in the $3k range.

My predominant use is singer/songwriter high tenor (me) and acoustic guitars.
...think Peter Gabriel.

I'm tracking in a relatively dead 20'x20' control room with solid oak floors.

So far, I'm considering the following mics - I like all of them:

Choice #1: Lawson L47MP Mark II $2k
I love this mic - detail, presence and pleasing slight tube harmonic crunch.
(I don't need the 251 quick change capsule feature, per se,
and I have no idea what the Lawson 251 sounds like).
Seems like the best bang for the buck.

Choice #2: Sanken CU41 over $3k, including accessories, no shockmount.
Not a real U47 design, but it has the strong high-end detail I expect from a 47.

Choice #3: Neumann M147 over $3k, including accessories/shock-mount.
I know this is not the most popular mic here, but I like it.
Perhaps a bit more brittle/harsh than a true, tuned 47.

Choice #4: Manley Reference Cardioid over $2700.
I know this is not a 47, but I really love this LDC. I've found the detail and presence amazing.
I've used it on a variety of sources (perc, m/f vox, ethnic flutes/winds, etc.), and it never fails me.
It's an EASY mic to place in a mix, I find. Depending on the tube, it can be truly crystal clear/transparent.

So, any opinions, preference, disagreement or support on these mic choices?

Please only respond if you have personal experience with these (or other preferred) mics.

Thanks for all your help in advance, as always!

(I'll get to 251's in a year, or so...heh)

Old 23rd July 2011
Gear Guru
Ok first off, the u147 is junk.

How about the Pearlman TM-1?

I would just use the Manley Cardioid and be done with it, but it doesn't sound even close to a u47, more like a c12.
Old 23rd July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➑️
Ok first off, the u147 is junk.

How about the Pearlman TM-1?

I would just use the Manley Cardioid and be done with it, but it doesn't sound even close to a u47, more like a c12.

I assume you mean the M147. Why is it junk? Can you be specific?

I tried a TLM-103 years ago, and I literally had to work for days to get it to work in my mixes, and I never got that real shine out of it.

So, do we assume newer/low-end Neumanns are just not happening.
Again, please be specific, if you can? Generalizations are tough.

I've heard some decent recordings done with the M147.

I really do like the Manley, and if I get the right tube, I can perhaps get just the right harmonic distortion
to drive it a bit on the high SPL vocals.

Never used it on male tenor vox before.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There's the BeesNeez Arabella in that price range.

Here's a U47-ish mic that looks interesting, although I've never heard it.

RMS47

Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Thanks, MadGuitrst.

Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Thanks!

Haven't heard the Wunder yet - but heard only great things!

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Beesneez T1. Nothing but the finest components with NOS steel tube from the 40's. I have one and it is insane. They just dropped in price also!!!!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbakron ➑️
Beesneez T1. Nothing but the finest components with NOS steel tube from the 40's. I have one and it is insane. They just dropped in price also!!!!

Thanks, man!

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...don't let the C12/251 body style fool you...this is AMI transformer guru Oliver Archut's take on a U47 circuit with a Thiersch redline M7 capsule...definately worth a look:

UM17R Microphone
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
How about the Swedien SWE#1 or the nu49. These are both made by Martin Kantola and they sound amazing.

He also teamed up with Pearl Microphones and they make a mic called the "Black Pearl" i own a pair and they are by far the best mics i've ever used.

I think his website is nu47.com
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Thanks, lads!

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You mentioned Peter Gabriel. I think he might be using the Flea 47 now. In any case, in my own search that's what I ended up with. YMMV of course.

-R
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The Manley is a good choice from your list...like you said nice presence.

The Soundelux/Bock E47 or E47c are great mics too (used only), probably can be had for a steal now. The regular E47 (multipattern) has a bit more air than the E47c (which is cardioid only).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Tested a lot and the only one for me is the "clone' Wunder CM7.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Remember, in the $3K range!

Matti
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Flea 47 ??? good choice in that price range I guess ...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
More like 4500$

Matti
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
A little bit more but definitely great ( 3450 US dollars ) the Korby Blue , Johnkenn posted a lot of audio samples ( various things that I love in 2008 ) do a search and you'll love that one !!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why does it even have to hit the $3k mark when Peluso, Pearlman and BeezNees both have awesome offerings under $2k.

Also, at one point I pretty much tested every might under $2k, even to include the CardRef which is above that. I went home with a Telefunken AR-51. That thing is simply incredible for the price. May not look at fancy as the Manley, but in my opinion, a better mic, a better all-around contender for many vocalists. Sits in the mix incredibly well.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sqye
From your the mics you listed I have to ask , are you really looking for a 47 ish or just a great mic ? I like all but the 147 (probably because it was billed as a 47 which it isn't from the Co. That should no what a 47 is)!
In your stated price range I'll say 1/3 of the mics are either claimed to be a 47 style or have 47 in the model (why would someone think because we call it XX47 that it was based on a 47). None sound like a 47 most have part of the vibe, so you have to decked either is this as close as I can get for the $$$ ? Or is this giving me what I most want out of a 47 ?

I don't think that's where your at I think you want a $3k mic that just wows you! That means just trying them all till you go wow!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would be looking at saving a couple of grand and get the Advanced Audio CM 47se or the BeezNees. I haven't used a BeezNees but many of my friends have them and like them. I love the CM47se. Great mic. There is a tape op review of it. Probably one of the BeezNees as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik ➑️
Why does it even have to hit the $3k mark when Peluso, Pearlman and BeezNees both have awesome offerings under $2k.
...that's true!...Tab Funkenwerks/Blackspade have an option under $1000 (streets for $999) which is actually an updated/improved variation on the original Telefunken RFT AK47:

UM17 Microphone
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
My #1 choice is the Lawson L47mp, it sounds awesome, very U47ish plus has an extremly low noise floor. What is more, Gene and Gayle Lawson are the nicest people in the world, if you ever have any issues with the mic some time in the future, they will help you out quick and easy.

I always had trouble with my Beesneez Arabella, noise floor was way to high and what is more, my experiences with their service was bad, it took ages and the problem has never been solved to my full satisfaction. I know ppl here love Beesneez, but if you search Gearslutz carefully you will find that several people reported having trouble with their service.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Thank you all so much. This is awesome - always what I expect posting in High End.

It is true I'd rather have a great mic for my purposes than stick to the U47-style only.

That said, my favorite mics to date have always been U47s or C12s.

Regarding my list, my favorite mic I've heard on recordings is the L47MP.

My favorite mic I've used personally on that list is the Manley Reference Cardioid.

I have no personal experience with newer Bock, Korby Blue, Bees Knees, Flea 47, Soundelux/Bock E47, Advanced Audio CM 47se, Swedien SWE#1 or the nu49, Black Pearl, Thiersch redline M7, Peulso, Pearlman, or Wunder CM7.

The Tab Funkenwerks/Blackspade UM17 looks interesting, as well - especially, at under a grand!

Again, thanks for all your suggestions and support, guys!

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
what you're looking for then is crystal clear highs without harshness? I think the pre comes into this too. I'm interested you say the M147 is brittle, I don't get that at all, it's slightly dull, but warm, not everybody's favourite but I recently recorded a powerful rock tenor voice with one and the resultant sound was full, rich and present - but that's because he had quite a bright voice and I recorded him through a Fearn VT-1 which basically makes every mic sound 100% better, fuller, richer...

In fact even sticking an SE 5600 MKII through a Fearn can sound like a high quality mic with depth and presence. Maybe try a U87 (yes even a new one) through a pre like the Fearn or a Sebatron, it has to sound great! Or even the TLM 49, which certainly is the most characterful modern Neumann I've heard.

Steve
Old 24th July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Thanks, Jaffa - as you've probably seen, I'm thrilled to death with my Buzz Audio ARC pre.

Not a fan of U87's at all, but I do like the M149! Not many don't!

And I've heard only wonderful things about the Fearn.

Lives for gear

Beesneez Arabella or T1 or ADK Custom Shop CS-47 are both great contenders. I also have the Telefunken U47 which is very nice, but a few times the cost of your desired budget.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Thanks, Greg.

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
If you like the M149 and the 147 you should try the TLM 49. I know Neumann are trying to sell it as 'tube-like' mic but away from the sales hype it really has a special sound. I had a 149 here for a while and like I say used a 147 on a high rock voice recently. I would say the TLM 49 comes somewhere in between, it's present without being bright, to me is fuller than the 149 and clearer (best way I can describe it) than the 147.

I was amazed though recently with the recording I made with the SE 5600 MKII through the Fearn, I was listening to it thinking why would I want to buy a $3000 mic when this sounds this good - sometimes your ears are all that counts. My only criticism of the 5600 is a high presence boost around 10-12K, which makes it sound too bright on a cheaper pre, it really does sizzle! If you roll this off a fraction or use a high quality pre like the Fearn it really stands up against mics 5 times the price!

Steve
πŸ“ Reply