🎧 15 years
Very very pleased with my Wunder CM7
Attached Thumbnails
Your Favorite 47-style mic...-481750_584210238266306_1693362911_n.jpg  
Old 1st September 2013
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
You know...There's an interesting thread about a Groove Tubes GT66 back a bit...
My 2 cents (err, sorry so long):

I currently own a Manley Card Ref. It's a stellar mic, worth $2700, no, but I got a deal I couldn't pass up, and liquidated a couple guitars. I have no regrets.
It's amazing on instruments, I even used it as a drum room mic with great results.
Vocals can be very interesting; difficult with some voices. Particularly sopranos, and anybody with a lisp. I hate using de-essers, as I feel they "rob" some of the human element. EQ, on the other hand, doesn't notch out the freq's enough.
I'm in a rut, so, it's my only LDC better than a Sterling ST59 at the moment (which is another interesting low end story)...SM7B is my only other solid vocal choice...I'm getting by with just my UA Apollo pres, which are by no means bad.
Funny thing is, I listen back to a recording I did 10 years ago with a GT-66 to a Firepod to a POS Toshiba Laptop in Cubase...It sounds stellar...Used the GT 66 on a sultry sounding Blues Female singer in an open room, NO BOOTH EVEN! I couldn't dream of that kind of track from the Manley. No joke. Had a bunch of old waves plugs back then, no room treatments, **** mic's.
Between then and now, I've been fortunate enough to take some pretty excellent, low enrollment, hands on classes. We got to learn about acoustics, and recorded in some pretty impressive spaces, with some epic mics. I made my way into a couple rooms, after laying the early tracks from home. Anyways, I'm by no means great, but I've been getting my feet wet.
I haven't used a true U47. Mics (worth mentioning)I have owned or used in other peoples rooms M49, M149, Manley Card Ref, U87, U87ai, NU47(f'n sweet), AK47, 414XLII, 414EB, FET47, Mojave MA-300, C214, Rode K2, GT66, Rode NTK, Sterling ST59...
To what I gather, the BIG DEAL with a TRUE U47 is the robust proximy effect...I always first try a singer with no filter, lips almost touching the grill...Also, some people seem let down when they finally touch the "Holy Grail" (to some), saying it was too dark. I love ribbon mic's, I can't imagine a LDC ever sounding too dark
You can really get on a M49, AK47, or a NU47 without pop filtering in many cases. Makes for a nice up close and personal track. I had high hopes for the Manley Card Ref doing this...It does not:(

Like most of the other mics I mentioned above, it's just too damn bright. I will add, I have a love affair with this mic on instruments, so it will never leave my locker. I just feel bummed about it on vocals. I don't like to butcher a nice vocal with processing. Maybe a tube swap? I don't know...
I will add, I been present with 2 female, and one male singer on a NU47. One fellow we can all bow down to seems to think it's todays answer to the U47.
I love vintage gear, but sometimes am let down myself. Something in me lately is saying, did we really do it that much better 50 years ago? Plus, some of the parts aren't even available any longer. Including the tube in the ORIGINAL U47.

So, I ask myself, is there really such a thing as a true clone? NO!
And I reflect on the GT66 vocal track; my Blumelein instruments on ST59's, and I say, we live in a lovely market of really affordable LDC's!!!
It seems if the players and the song are right, you could use any mic! So stop getting hung up on all this crap, before you go broke like me!!!
Old 1st September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jray4 ➡️
You know...There's an interesting thread about a Groove Tubes GT66 back a bit...
My 2 cents (err, sorry so long):

I currently own a Manley Card Ref. It's a stellar mic, worth $2700, no, but I got a deal I couldn't pass up, and liquidated a couple guitars. I have no regrets.
It's amazing on instruments, I even used it as a drum room mic with great results.
Vocals can be very interesting; difficult with some voices. Particularly sopranos, and anybody with a lisp. I hate using de-essers, as I feel they "rob" some of the human element. EQ, on the other hand, doesn't notch out the freq's enough.
I'm in a rut, so, it's my only LDC better than a Sterling ST59 at the moment (which is another interesting low end story)...SM7B is my only other solid vocal choice...I'm getting by with just my UA Apollo pres, which are by no means bad.
Funny thing is, I listen back to a recording I did 10 years ago with a GT-66 to a Firepod to a POS Toshiba Laptop in Cubase...It sounds stellar...Used the GT 66 on a sultry sounding Blues Female singer in an open room, NO BOOTH EVEN! I couldn't dream of that kind of track from the Manley. No joke. Had a bunch of old waves plugs back then, no room treatments, **** mic's.
Between then and now, I've been fortunate enough to take some pretty excellent, low enrollment, hands on classes. We got to learn about acoustics, and recorded in some pretty impressive spaces, with some epic mics. I made my way into a couple rooms, after laying the early tracks from home. Anyways, I'm by no means great, but I've been getting my feet wet.
I haven't used a true U47. Mics (worth mentioning)I have owned or used in other peoples rooms M49, M149, Manley Card Ref, U87, U87ai, NU47(f'n sweet), AK47, 414XLII, 414EB, FET47, Mojave MA-300, C214, Rode K2, GT66, Rode NTK, Sterling ST59...
To what I gather, the BIG DEAL with a TRUE U47 is the robust proximy effect...I always first try a singer with no filter, lips almost touching the grill...Also, some people seem let down when they finally touch the "Holy Grail" (to some), saying it was too dark. I love ribbon mic's, I can't imagine a LDC ever sounding too dark
You can really get on a M49, AK47, or a NU47 without pop filtering in many cases. Makes for a nice up close and personal track. I had high hopes for the Manley Card Ref doing this...It does not:(

Like most of the other mics I mentioned above, it's just too damn bright. I will add, I have a love affair with this mic on instruments, so it will never leave my locker. I just feel bummed about it on vocals. I don't like to butcher a nice vocal with processing. Maybe a tube swap? I don't know...
I will add, I been present with 2 female, and one male singer on a NU47. One fellow we can all bow down to seems to think it's todays answer to the U47.
I love vintage gear, but sometimes am let down myself. Something in me lately is saying, did we really do it that much better 50 years ago? Plus, some of the parts aren't even available any longer. Including the tube in the ORIGINAL U47.

So, I ask myself, is there really such a thing as a true clone? NO!
And I reflect on the GT66 vocal track; my Blumelein instruments on ST59's, and I say, we live in a lovely market of really affordable LDC's!!!
It seems if the players and the song are right, you could use any mic! So stop getting hung up on all this crap, before you go broke like me!!!
all parts are available for the right price

I recently changed tubes on my vf14m pricey but available
Old 3rd September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel ➡️
all parts are available for the right price

I recently changed tubes on my vf14m pricey but available

I'll say! $2,000 tube! You must be fortunate enough to work with some high budget clients!

It would be fair to say, not many manufacturers are going to build a mic with a $2k tube. Now one of you slutz is gonna send me a link, and there goes juniors college fund
Old 16th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jray4 ➡️
I'll say! $2,000 tube! You must be fortunate enough to work with some high budget clients!

It would be fair to say, not many manufacturers are going to build a mic with a $2k tube. Now one of you slutz is gonna send me a link, and there goes juniors college fund

heh

Old 16th December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

14 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff ➡️
U47 curve
Can anyone say whether those eq graphs are for the k47 or m7 capsule?
Lee
Old 16th December 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Ears
Old 17th December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Haven't gotten to put in much time with it yet, but loving the Flea so far.

Old 18th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a pair of mint Andreas Grosser U 47´s for sale.
📝 Reply