The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Flickinger vs Neve 1073
Old 17th June 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Flickinger vs Neve 1073

Neve 1073 vs Flickinger Mic Preamps

Anythoughts or Experiences? I read somewhere a guy sold his BCM-10 for flickingers. I'm curious to hear how they sound on bass. i know the neve mic pres have an excellend low end.
Old 17th June 2011
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Walth... I posted this in another thread (I owned both at the same time)... short is, you'd love the sound on bass. I'm a bass and Stick player.

Flickingers pre-amps were not all designed the same. Sometimes he used stock spectra sonic 101 amp cards, sometimes he modded them, sometimes he made his own.

Melcor pre-dates API... I still have those mic pre's and EQ's. Gittleman designed that stuff when Daniel Flickinger was still in diapers and Melcor is what came API from, so I highly doubt that API "copied" Flickinger in any way, shape or form.

I owned one of Flickingers 281 consoles... the sound actually smoked my Neve BCM 10 full of 1073's. Cleaner, clearer, big and bold... my favorite for drum tracking by far... but no one would ever use the damn console because no one had heard of Flickinger (this was back in the 80's when the Neve name was starting to become all the rage). So I sold it in the late 90's... wish I never had but I had to pay the IRS at the time.

Daniel ended up going to prison and when he got out ended up in the SF bay area... he wanted nothing to do with audio industry anymore... wouldn't even talk about it. Smart man.

Roundbadge, you'd probably love these Flickinger pre's on drums. That said I also like the sound of my Electrodyne ACC 1204 console as much for drums but for a different reason... fat and warm, like a great old 70's record. If you ever make it to upstate you'll have to stop by and we'll track some drums through the console... nothing quite like the sound of that board. There was a reason Sinatra bought one for himself back in the day... talk about a guy who was picky about sound!

I'd be interested in hearing these re-makes as well.
Old 17th June 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
thanks for the reply.
how do they sound compared to edynes/q8/and spheres MM61/MM-201A etc?

thanks again
Old 29th October 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
This is a far-fetched bump, but here I go... BUMP!
I heard this topology is closer to the API sound than the Neve sound, but how would you describe such differences? I'm currently interested in some Flickinger clones for tracking drums and I would like to control my expectations.
Old 30th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrphicTrench ➡️
This is a far-fetched bump, but here I go... BUMP!
I heard this topology is closer to the API sound than the Neve sound, but how would you describe such differences? I'm currently interested in some Flickinger clones for tracking drums and I would like to control my expectations.
There are many versions of Flickinger out there. The famous ones are op amp based. So yeah, closer to API than Neve but I’m not sure how descriptive that is. The majority of the tone in almost any op amp based mic pre is going to come from the transformers.

We offer an op amp in the 2520 footprint that I designed based on some really early Flickinger mic pres. It’s an interesting and unique circuit and doesn’t look like it should be a world beater on paper but darned if it doesn’t sound fantastic. Your mileage may vary.

[email protected]
Old 30th October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a new twin flick pre waiting for me at home (I’m on holiday with the fam in France at present so I’ll report when I get home).
It’s a unique bastard thing: dual op amps each side, 3 transformers (input, interstate & output), runs on 24V like a neve/UA 1108, and is 150ohm impedance (slow, dark, deep?!).
So it’s a pretty unique thing on paper and should sound unique. I’ll let you know.
I’m a huge Sly fan; Family Affair is one of the coolest sounding tunes ever in my book and it’s slow, dark, and deep......it’s all coz of the Flick. Haha! Jokes!
Old 30th October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
It’s a familllllly affaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrr.. it’s a family afffair..

Agree when I was assisting in my early days.. we out on a Sly album ‘Stand’ (CD!!!!) I commented to the visiting engineer how it sounded sooo gooey and phat. He said it was the tape formulations of the time but perhaps the Flick had something to add to the mix too?

Wiggy
Old 30th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➡️
It’s a familllllly affaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrr.. it’s a family afffair..

Agree when I was assisting in my early days.. we out on a Sly album ‘Stand’ (CD!!!!) I commented to the visiting engineer how it sounded sooo gooey and phat. He said it was the tape formulations of the time but perhaps the Flick had something to add to the mix too?

Wiggy
Aww Mann! Amazing!
Well.....I’ll let you know how they sound. They look legit and they’ve done their homework so I’m sure they’ll be cool!
Old 31st October 2021
Old 31st October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Roger let us know how they sound please?
In capital letters in looks a lot like FVCKINGER. Ha ha.
I heard from one of Sly’s players he was impatient and didn’t care about the sound but I agree those records sound terrific.
Old 31st October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
I heard from one of Sly’s players he was impatient and didn’t care about the sound but I agree those records sound terrific.
Ha yeah! He wanted to get back into the cupboard with his crack pipe and attack peacocks! I mean who can get away with a song that’s pretty much garbled funk garbage and call it ‘Sex Machine’.. sly can FFS!

That aside l…those albums are awesome and along with Arthur Lee you can tell where so many artists got and drew inspiration from. Also they had some cool production aesthetics and the flickenger console fall into those of lore like…

Trident a range
Sound techniques
GML - did they all get bought by the church of Scientology ?
EMI

All cool and funky with great stories and albums behind them!

Wiggy
Old 3rd November 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears ➡️
There are many versions of Flickinger out there. The famous ones are op amp based. So yeah, closer to API than Neve but I’m not sure how descriptive that is. The majority of the tone in almost any op amp based mic pre is going to come from the transformers.

We offer an op amp in the 2520 footprint that I designed based on some really early Flickinger mic pres. It’s an interesting and unique circuit and doesn’t look like it should be a world beater on paper but darned if it doesn’t sound fantastic. Your mileage may vary.

[email protected]
Hey Matt,

First, where an I see/purchase your products? Second, how would a Flickinger clone with Carnhill transformers sound in your opinion?
Old 3rd November 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Flickinger

early Flickinger products were based on Triad transformers.
some were flat epoxy encapsulated.
in my opinion, Carnhills would be a improvement.

as stated, the famous ones are op-amp based, the design was patented.

the early ones such as model 290 were sloppy variations of SpectraSonics' designs.
Attached Thumbnails
Flickinger vs Neve 1073-number.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf patent.pdf (977.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 3rd November 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hey Matt,

First, where an I see/purchase your products? Second, how would a Flickinger clone with Carnhill transformers sound in your opinion?
We sell direct from our website.

We don't really make clones, even our Flickinger style op amp is an original - just used an early Flickinger design as a starting point and started fiddling til I got something I liked.

In my opinion transformer manufacturers don't have a sound as much as specific designs certainly do. You could give a spec to different manufactures and get functionally interchangeable parts. Your mileage may vary.

For any mic pre the most important thing is to match the transformer to the amp for minimum noise.

I haven't ever used an original Flickinger. You change transformer specs and you'll get a different sound for sure.
Old 17th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger ➡️
I have a new twin flick pre waiting for me at home (I’m on holiday with the fam in France at present so I’ll report when I get home).
It’s a unique bastard thing: dual op amps each side, 3 transformers (input, interstate & output), runs on 24V like a neve/UA 1108, and is 150ohm impedance (slow, dark, deep?!).
So it’s a pretty unique thing on paper and should sound unique. I’ll let you know.
I’m a huge Sly fan; Family Affair is one of the coolest sounding tunes ever in my book and it’s slow, dark, and deep......it’s all coz of the Flick. Haha! Jokes!
For clarification: they are +-24V (or 48V).
Old 29th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a pair of vintage flicks with pultec style eqs built in to them. They are discrete. They do sound very much in the same class as vintage Neve but maybe more solid/tight. Hard to describe.

They sound very good.
Old 11th January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears ➡️
We sell direct from our website.

We don't really make clones, even our Flickinger style op amp is an original - just used an early Flickinger design as a starting point and started fiddling til I got something I liked.

In my opinion transformer manufacturers don't have a sound as much as specific designs certainly do. You could give a spec to different manufactures and get functionally interchangeable parts. Your mileage may vary.

For any mic pre the most important thing is to match the transformer to the amp for minimum noise.

I haven't ever used an original Flickinger. You change transformer specs and you'll get a different sound for sure.
Hey Matt!

It's some crazy cosmic coincidence, as I ended up letting go of my curiosity to try a Flickinger-type pre a while ago, but I just scored your QPP with Jensen transformers on the used market today! It was either this or a Daking Pre IV. Looking forward to hearing its magic on drums and electric guitars! It was advertised to me as a 312-type pre, but when I watched your Youtube video, the Flickinger light came on. This will be replacing my BLA pres, if they pass the listening tests.
Old 11th January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Cool - it probably has M2 op amps in it. Shoot me an email if you have any questions! I hope you love it.
Old 12th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hey Matt!

It's some crazy cosmic coincidence, as I ended up letting go of my curiosity to try a Flickinger-type pre a while ago, but I just scored your QPP with Jensen transformers on the used market today! It was either this or a Daking Pre IV. Looking forward to hearing its magic on drums and electric guitars! It was advertised to me as a 312-type pre, but when I watched your Youtube video, the Flickinger light came on. This will be replacing my BLA pres, if they pass the listening tests.
Ha, I was in this exact spot a few months ago and scored a Daking 4... But the Iron Age is still on my list of things to try out, Matt is awesome and the gear sounds fantastic too
📝 Reply