The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio 2192
Old 14th August 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Universal Audio 2192

Has anyone tried out UAs A/D/A? I am trying to weigh whether or not to get a Benchmark DAC-1 with some other A/Ds or just get the UA box instead.

Any thoughts?
Old 1st May 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A second....

I am about to purchase a high-end ad/da and clock. I would like to know what you guys think of this unit as compared to the Apogee 200. I know the 200 is not out yet so maybe compare the 2192 to the 800. I do Country musicand i use PARIS and ProTools.

Has anyone used this?

-S0nguy
Old 1st May 2004
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
A third...

we're looking for a high end two channel A/D D/A for our studio B we're setting up shortly...

Jason
Old 2nd May 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I haven't yet had a chance to check it out yet, but I'm expecting an opportunity to shortly.
Old 3rd May 2004
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I tired it!! I jumped for joy! It's incredible. Now... I just have to figure out what to sell so I can afford it......
Old 3rd May 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What did you like about it?

Im about to pick one up tomorrow.....what did you like about it?

-S0nguy
Old 4th May 2004
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Ummmm... it sounds amazing!

But seriously. It's everything they advertise it to be. I use Nuendo, the RME HDSP MADI card, and 3 ADI-8 DS converters for 24 channels at up to 96K sample rates. I have experimented with clocking to several external clocks, the Big Ben, The Lucid, and the 2192. When clocked to the 2192, the change (improvement) was most noticeable (still just running through the RME converters). My converters just became more true... more detailed, stereo images REALLY jumped out.

But then... the REAL sock knocker was listening to it's converters. Holy cow... VERY nice, and I am sure the fact that the analog hardware is all class A had a little something to do with how signal going in, and coming out sounded. I have been exposed to, and used many of the the very best converters out there (Mytek, Benchmark, etc), and this thing is right up there with them. I want to say that is has a "character" that is just incredibly pleasing... but that doesn't seem right. It seemed like it was more just a REALISM thing. It just REALLY sounded right. I mean..... do you remember the first time you got use a REALLY great preamp..... like a Neve or something... and you put a mic up... and listened.... and you were like... OOOOHH!!! THIS is what a mic pre is supposed to sound like! That was kind of like my experience with the 2192.

I am very fond of it, and saving my hard earned pennies for one! That's my 2 cents.... damn... and it had to come out of my 2192 fund.....
Old 4th May 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
She is here: UA2192!

All,

After much deliberation, I picked up my newest addition to my arsenal: The Universal Audio 2192.

Let the shootouts begin!!

S0nguy
Old 6th May 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
IM gonna cry....

This thing is amazing........

That's all I have to say.

-S0nguy

Old 6th May 2004
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Universal Audio 2192

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveJes1979
Has anyone tried out UAs A/D/A? I am trying to weigh whether or not to get a Benchmark DAC-1 with some other A/Ds or just get the UA box instead.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like no one here has heard the Lavry Blue's?
Old 6th May 2004
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Within the last few days, we compared the Lucid, Mytek, Lavry Blue, Universal Audio 2192 and Masterlink (built-in) A/D converters. To my ears:

The Lavry won on sound but it lacked spdif and user-friendly, front-panel controls.

The Mytek was second only to the Lavry. It was easy to set up and use. (We bought it.)

The Lucid came in behind the Mytek. It was easy to set up and use.

The UA 2192 was the most colored of the bunch. Front panel controls were somewhat confusing.

The Masterlink (we own it) had sounded good until we compared it. If we had purchased any of these converters, we would have been happy because of the improvement. We are much happier having made the comparison.
Old 6th May 2004
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Picker
Within the last few days, we compared the Lucid, Mytek, Lavry Blue, Universal Audio 2192 and Masterlink (built-in) A/D converters. To my ears:

The Lavry won on sound but it lacked spdif and user-friendly, front-panel controls.

The Mytek was second only to the Lavry. It was easy to set up and use. (We bought it.)

The Lucid came in behind the Mytek. It was easy to set up and use.

The UA 2192 was the most colored of the bunch. Front panel controls were somewhat confusing.

The Masterlink (we own it) had sounded good until we compared it. If we had purchased any of these converters, we would have been happy because of the improvement. We are much happier having made the comparison.

Kind of OT, but not really.

Have any of you pro AE's been in the studio with an artist or group who is new to recording, and they are just really thrilled with being able to hear themselves relatively clearly through the speakers for the first time (in comparison to their four tracks or what have you)? A Chinese mic through a Mackie VLZ would do fine for them.

And then that person records with you for a few years and develops into a truly professional artist and they can discern more intricate sonic differences and qualities? Even certain pieces considered "pro" aren't the right ones?

I guess someone may understand my analogy without my having to point out the obvious....

BTW Dr. Picker, the Lavry SPDIF compatibility problem could be remedied by a simple $50 AES to SPDIF transformer adapter from Canare. I'm looking at the front panel of the blue series ADC right now, and it has every option possible on 5 easy switches. It has far more options than the Mytek with it's analog and digital saturation, lending itself to be slighty more "complicated". But, I suppose that is the price we pay when pieces go above and beyond simple functionality to luxury options.
Old 6th May 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Universal Audio 2192

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
Sounds like no one here has heard the Lavry Blue's?

One ofthe reasons I got the 2192 IS for the color.....I love what it did on a male vocal yesterday. I do a lot of bluegreass and acoustic music so to me a more "analog" sound is a great thing... Talk about full and fat!

Buuuuuttah!

-S0nguy
Old 6th May 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok, coloration for A/D may be spiffy. For D/A though? How can you mix if everything you hear is overly colored by the converter? IMO, D/A should be accurate, not "good sounding".
Old 6th May 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
Ok, coloration for A/D may be spiffy. For D/A though? How can you mix if everything you hear is overly colored by the converter? IMO, D/A should be accurate, not "good sounding".
It's really like speakers, it's whatever you're used to. Some people like Genelecs, some Adams, I personally like mixing on Questeds. Whatever tool allows you to do YOUR job better is the right one for YOU.

I just got a 2192 to evaluate and so far I'm liking it quite a bit more than the 192/Sync i/o combo. The imaging seems a bit wider and the frequency spectrum seems a bit rounder.

I cut vocals using it yesterday and was very pleased with the results. I've got some more scientific comparisons to do still, but so far so good.

...as always, YMMV.
Old 6th May 2004
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: IM gonna cry....

Quote:
Originally posted by s0nguy
This thing is amazing........

That's all I have to say.

-S0nguy

Should I say it?? Ok... I will... told ya so!! HA HA

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Picker

Hmmmm... are you serious? I am trying not to sound like a smartass here... but the comment about the front panel controls is just silly. And that makes me question the rest of your findings as well.... I mean... it can't get much more simple than this:

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora

I dunno... ask all those guys that mix on Neve 80's series desks day in and day out. Well... then again... maybe don't... since all that sounds like crap.

But seriously.... I think the thing about the 2192 is not is not nearly as much a "color" thing... it's VERY true to the source... it's hard to put a finger on exactly what is so great about... and for a great converter... I think that is the ultimate compliment!. I used two for a week.... I actually mixed out of one's outputs, into a 2 bus compressor, and then back into it's inputs (monitoring the inputs in my host software, and using a second one for my monitor outs). Everything I mixed with them sounded fantastic. You get the realism you want for days.... but with a "quality" thing that's just hard to put into words. All of the other devices listed here are fantastic... no doubt. But of all those... the 2192 is the one I am most excited about....

Anyway...that's just me... it's all subjective ya know...
Old 6th May 2004
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hmm, sources point to this being promising then! I wish they had an '8192'!

How does this compare to the Rosetta 200 price wise? (as no-ones really heard that yet!)
Old 6th May 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well......

Yeah...I think a TON of people wish they had an 8192 as well. But hey...you can always buy 4 of them!

The Rosetta 200 (which isnt out and MIGHT be out in a month or so) is $1795.00 and I got my 2192 for around 2200.00 so its a bit more $$.

-S0nguy
Old 6th May 2004
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Does anyone have the info on the Lavry and Mytek websites and where you might be able to get hold of these products in the UK?!

thanks,

Jason
Old 7th May 2004
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
One additional point i've discovered about the 2192.
While some converters dont sound great when you slam em with high levels,
this UA converter can handle high spl and it sounds great. has a pleasing type of distortion when
you push it past that "0" point.
CC
CalistroMusic.com
Old 7th May 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Calistro
One additional point i've discovered about the 2192.
While some converters dont sound great when you slam em with high levels,
this UA converter can handle high spl and it sounds great. has a pleasing type of distortion when
you push it past that "0" point.
CC
CalistroMusic.com
Im actually in a session right now tracking guitars through it and I was noticing that too. Ive clipped it a few times and cant hear any typical digital distortiion. Damn this thing sounds good.....I gotta do a rough bounce to make sure Im not imaging this drastic difference.....and to see how it translates into the real world.

-S0nguy
Old 8th May 2004
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I'm in converter heaven.W/the 2192 clocked to my big ben,I've been tracking acoustics with a Korby [ 251 head] into the new TG channel just Kissing an LA2A into PT HD 96k,Yummy!I'm also digging sending the 2-bus out of the 2192 into a smart C2 back into the 2192 to print mixes.It's my new "mix magic dust"This thing is very,very tasty!
Old 8th May 2004
Jam
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jason

It's not very clear but the Mytek website mentions shipping from inside the EU ( so no extra import duty ) drop them an email. I would be interested as well so let us know how you get on.

Jam
Old 8th May 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Round Badge - So, does the 2192 sound any different when clocked from the Big Ben as opposed to the internal clock? I ask because 1) I have a Big Ben, and 2) one person mentioned their preference for the 2192 clock.
Old 9th May 2004
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Hey Jason,I haven't done a lot of critical A/B ing, as I've only had the 2192 for about a week with non stop sessions.But in my solo drums/acoustic gtr headphone listens,switching from the 2192 to the BBen,I sensed a bit more detail with the latter,but I'll need more time to really form a solid opinion.I'll check back in another week or so with more info.One thing I will say is that the 2192 converters give me some added warmth along with great detail that I never had with the HD converters W/ the BBen.A little extra analog flavor on my I/O is a gooood thang!
Old 27th June 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Has anybody compared it to the Cranesong Hedd?
Old 27th June 2004
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Where the rubber meets the road in converters is what happens when you start mixing tracks together and use digital equalization and compression. Audio recorded using lesser converters starts sounding real crunchy while the high-priced spread remains juicy after lots of mangling.

These differences aren't subtle at all but simple "A vs. B." shootouts comparing subtle differences won't tell you this.
Old 27th June 2004
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
These differences aren't subtle at all but simple "A vs. B." shootouts comparing subtle differences won't tell you this.

I find this to be true of digital audio in general but it seems that very few of us get these weaknesses. For example, I'm seeing way too many doing shootouts and declaring analog multitracks not worth the effort. Maybe it takes a while before we realize that the tracks we record don't have as much weight as they used to. Things don't sit quite the same in a mix. Also, working all day with digital is far more fatiging with dig than analog. Hopefully all the 2" machines and tape won't be gone before it's too late.

Sorry to have steered OT. By all means there's good dig and bad dig. Far from wanting to start yet another dig vs. analog debate, I don't think it can be said enough that we've all been listening for the wrong things.

Steven
Old 5th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I havent a/b'd the 2192 to other convertors but i did buy a 2192 and i have heard other good convertors before and the way this thing sounds is thick, creamy kinda like an old fashion malt milk shake. (Damn that sounds good right about now!!!) Anyways i gotta say i'm very happy with it and the way that it kind of compresses when you hit it hard is so cool and good sounding. Also when i clock my system to it my mixes sound better even when not using its convertors.
Old 5th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've been using the 2192 since December of 03 ...we get all kinds of converters in here and i still like these the best... it just sounds good...especially on mixdown (I often track at 48 or 96 and mix through the 2192 a fatso or a hedd ...very nice and the UA guys are great to deal with I had them Recalibrate mine a while back for hotter levels and they have that obsessed about their gear vibe...a good thing...i have myteks and apogees as well and I use then but the 2192 just sounds like a "record"

but to each his own...

Scott

PS Bruce swedien and Trina Shoemaker are using them...no slugs I might add
πŸ“ Reply