The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio 2192
Old 6th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, too bad they didn't buffer the meters. An unbalanced output on the D/A will short the meters out in about 20 minutes. This really scared me in a device that generates and distributes word clock. I returned the UA and got a PRS Custom 22 instead.
Old 6th September 2004
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
my main DAC is a DCS 902 , i love it.....

http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/ProProducts.htm
Old 6th September 2004
Universal Audio

🎧 15 years
Jason-

We're sorry about your problem. We tried to help you resolve it, but you sold your nice new converter and bought a nice new guitar before we could help. I would have kept the converter and bought the guitar too if I could afford it, but to each his own affliction.

The output meters in some early revisions will read incorrectly when run into unbalanced loads (instead of -6dB lower as expected, they read -18dB lower, and thus may not appear to be working when lower level signals are present). This has absolutely no effect on either the sound quality or the operation of the rest of the unit.

This issue was resolved several months ago in all production units, and there is a service update, but it requires sending the unit back to UA for repair. The simple fix is to disconnect the unused output pin instead of grounding it.

Btw, you should check (and recal if nececssary) your analog output trims if you plan to connect your 2192 (or any converter) to an unbalanced input. Most unbalanced (consumer) input levels are referenced to -10dBV, while balanced (pro) line levels are referenced to +4dBu. The 2192's outputs can be calibrated to a wide range of outputs, making it suitable for everything from theater sound systems to home stereos.

-Joe

Joe Bryan
VP Engineering & Technology
Universal Audio
Old 6th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well mine sounds good and i haven't ran any unbalanced signals off of it so i haven't had any problems although mine is pretty new so it might not have that problem anyways. Anyway it sounds goooooooooood.
Old 6th September 2004
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
joe, i have the same problem with my 2192. how can i contact you to discuss?
Old 6th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was going to get a 2192 for my 2 trk computer (Wavelab) but I connect my Adam S3As directly to the output of the DA. I don't want to go out and have to buy a hi end attenuator to control the level. Does any one know why they didn't put a vol knob on it? Guess I'll get the Benchmark for DA. Kind of a drag since I'm a big fan of UA's products. I'm sure the signal path sounds killer but I'm not going to leave my Adams wide open and depend on Wavelab's mixer.
Old 6th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by kellyd
I was going to get a 2192 for my 2 trk computer (Wavelab) but I connect my Adam S3As directly to the output of the DA. I don't want to go out and have to buy a hi end attenuator to control the level. Does any one know why they didn't put a vol knob on it? Guess I'll get the Benchmark for DA. Kind of a drag since I'm a big fan of UA's products. I'm sure the signal path sounds killer but I'm not going to leave my Adams wide open and depend on Wavelab's mixer.
If Im not mistaken There is a volume control / calibrater on the back

in the form of screw heads
Old 6th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
We're sorry about your problem. We tried to help you resolve it, but you sold your nice new converter and bought a nice new guitar before we could help.
Joe. I tried to send you a PM, but you have blocked them. So, here is the content of that message.

Joe - In all fairness, I did wait two weeks between the time I purchased the first 2192 and when I decided to return the second one for store credit. As I mentioned in my latest post, I recieved two calls from one of your techs, who did say that the designer would be calling me. If you were on vacation or otherwise unavailable, I did not know this and apologize.

I personally think that if you knew about that problem, the units at Guitar Center that I purchased should have been recalled. I shouldn't have to send a product in for repair 20 minutes after I buy it. Now that I finally have some word on this problem and that it has been fixed, I may consider purchasing another 2192 (in fact it's likely).

It is unfortunate that I had to complain about this on Gearslutz to get a definitive answer. I posted about it previously, but would not have mentioned it again in public had you called me to discuss the problem. If you read all my Gearslutz posts about the 2192, I praised your company for their pre-sales customer support, and I also said the converer had great sounding low end.

I noticed that more than one other person has had this problem. Hey, can I get an additional discount if I buy a newer one? Anyway, thanks for replying to the post.
Old 7th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If there is a vol on the back that really doesn't help me. I vary my levels all the time like most so I need a vol cntrl like my Lucid DA9624 or the Benchmark DAC1.
Old 7th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
kellyd - Most pro audio dacs are not made with a volume control. All you need to do though is to put some sort of active preamp or passive attenuator between the dac and your speakers. I might add that one with even a simple remote control is going to give you more than you'll get with a built-in dac output level control. It's nice to be able to use a remote.

On another note, perhaps someone like Apogee will create a computer program that adjusts the levels of the DA-16X, for example. They are digital adjustments, so this should be a no-brainer.
Old 7th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
True most pro DAs don't come with a vol cntrl but the way people work has changed. More people mix in the box and they need a cntrl rm level cntrl. I don't mix ITB but I monitor the 2 trk thru a 2nd computer which puts me in the same boat. Benchmark figured that one out with the DAC1.
Old 4th January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Got my 2192 today and I am very happy with my purchase. Sounds excellent, both A/D & D/A.
Old 4th January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"True most pro DAs don't come with a vol cntrl but the way people work has changed. More people mix in the box and they need a cntrl rm level cntrl"

My sentiments exactly.

I would look more seriously at the Rosetta 200 if only it had a volume control.
Old 4th January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I ended up with the Benchmark for monitoring and bought the 2192 for 2 trk AD and an extra 2 outs from Nuendo. Great piece of gear. Love it. Funny though, I have a unit that has the meter issue and it's supposed to be a new production unit. My Trident is unblced and the output meters are way down. Have to wait until the 5th for UA to reopen to find out what's up. I can't send the unit back, I'm in the middle of too much work at the moment.
Still really happy with it. DA meters at the moment aren't a deal breaker since Nuendo would clip first on it's output busses. 0dbfs in Nuendo =0dbfs through the UA.
Though like my Father says "Son, you need more flashing lites. I like flashing lites". He doesn't know much about recording but sure likes watching them meters. Guess for his sake I have to get the meters right. K.
Old 4th January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I guess I was being a bit picky about the meters. The D/A did sound good, especially in the low end. Maybe I'll try another one should the need arise.

For now we're working on building a 24 bit 96 khz stereo DAC. It's an Assemblage/Sonic Frontiers DAC3 kit that's about 3-4 years old. It uses some great components, such as dual Burr Brown PCM 1704 K-Grade DAC chips per channel in a correlation technique.

I thought I had thrown away the $1,700 I spent on the kit and the upgraded dac chips, but then Jim at Audio Upgrades found the left/right dac boards and the rest of the parts on a shelf when he was moving his shop recently. I knew they were there!

I then found the chassis with the power transformers, main circuit board and custom Burr Brown DF-1704 digital filter upgrade chip in my garage. So I'm going to have Jim put it together this month.
Old 4th January 2005
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Somebody asker earlier about real experience and comparison on UA 2196 and Apogee Rosetta 800.
We have both in studio, UA 2196 for more than year and Apogee for over 6 months now. We just needed 2 channels of ADC more to existing setup, so we took Apogee for 1 week test and kept it.
Summary:

Both converters are indeed very good and we can easily live with any of them. Compared to our earlier RME ADI8DS and MOTU HD196, they are definitely better in all respects, not only different, but clearly better sounding.
When we tried Prisms and DCSs, yes indeed, converters can sound more pleasant than UA and Apogee, but we did not find enough reason to spend more for improvements they provided.

In direct A/B comparison our opinions divided, but more often on acoustic materials and vocals we prefer Apogee, it provides the sound we further process digitally and at the end of the day tracks sound more natural. UA can do the same in pretty similar quality and some subtle nuances, especially in DAC when whole mix goes to analogue outboards make Apogee preferable choice.
I believed from the beginning that UA made all efforts to provide good conversion offering natural, less digitally harsh sound, but as always it is questionable if such approach equals to better conversion or represent some pleasant sounding artifacts.

We'll keep both and do not think to change UA for second Apogee, but if I would need to opt for one of them, it would be clearly Apogee Rosetta 200. Also, several additional functions on Rosetta + connectivity options are good addition (although not main point to choose it) to this device.
If you already owe UA I don't see any reason to change it for Rosetta, but for new purchase everyone should try and test closely.
Also, as stated in other forums, external clocks are unlikely to make anything better in both of mentioned converters.

Peace.
GYang
Old 4th January 2005
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Somebody asker earlier about real experience and comparison on UA 2196 and Apogee Rosetta 800.
Error not Rosetta 800, but 200.
Old 4th January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've found that there are people who like the Apogee sound and then some that don't. Guess I'm one of the don'ts. Apogee has it's own color, so does the UA. I could have bought the Rosetta but I wanted something different. The UA delivers what I like so that's what I bought. Both are great pieces. It gets pretty personal and subjective at the end of the day.
Old 3rd March 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've had a UA2192 for a few days now
First Impressions:
Easy to set up litepipe'd into RME Digi 9652
turned a couple of knobs on front panel
Amazingly musical
and very hard to clip
RME ADI-8 Pro converters clocked to the 2192 sound better
DA simply put , i love what im hearing
2192 / 4B Bryston / Dynaudio BM15 / Cental Station
Goina Buy Another.
Old 16th March 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Still loving mine! When are they gonna come with the 2198? that sounds good to me! Also i am using less and less plug ins and on mixes lately and i run individual tracks to some outboard and dont think twice about going out and back rather than using a plug in. Doesnt seem to degrade much to me.
Old 16th March 2005 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You mean an 8192 heh I'm sure those would be nice.
Old 21st March 2005 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stakeoutstudios
Does anyone have the info on the Lavry and Mytek websites and where you might be able to get hold of these products in the UK?!

thanks,

Jason
True, all shipments to EU countries are duty free shipped from EU. Please contact me through the email on the website. www.mytekdigital.com

Regards Michal @ Mytek
πŸ“ Reply