The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann Nearfields!
Old 4th June 2011
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Neumann Nearfields!

WOW!

I just heard these yesterday at my local shop. Very impressive and at an incredible price point. I listened to these, HS50's, my Adam A7's, and a pair of the expensive Genelecs. The Genelecs were easily the nicest sounding to my ears but were $3000. The Neumanns were very close and half the price. I've also heard some fantastic things about the Focals but I haven't listened to them yet.

Anyone have a pair of the Neumanns in their room?
My A7's keep sounding worse and worse as new excellent monitors come out in a competitive price range. I hate the tweeter.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 4th June 2011
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
um, wha? you're making this up, right? Neumann has new store-purchasable monitor speakers?
Old 4th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Was listening to them at L/M last night.

Georg Neumann GmbH - Professional Monitoring
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They are Klein & Hummel, Neumann bought them, great monitors, been around for years now. Unfortunately the Neumann logo may hype them, seem like its working
Old 4th June 2011
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip ➑️
They are Klein & Hummel, Neumann bought them, great monitors, been around for years now. Unfortunately the Neumann logo may hype them, seem like its working
No hype.

The Neumann KH120 replace the older K+H O110. They are about one third cheaper than the old model and, from what I hear, a good deal better.

I am hoping to get a pair of KH120A in about a week to compare side-by-side with my O110D.

Steve Remote has been using the KH120 for a little whole now - ask him.

Oh - and virtually all the old K+H guys came over to Neumann, so it's all the same team.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
I may be wrong and am not sitting here with all info in front of me, but didn't Neumann (A) improve the design and (B) lower the price? Seems like more than an attempt at hype. We've got a couple pair showing up any day now, I for one am interested in some side by side action too.

War
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I heard the KH120As a little while back in my studio for a day. I wasn't expecting much from these little guys, but WOW was I wrong! My first impressions were:
  • They are loud! I actually trimmed the volume way back in order to better match the volume of the studio mains (which was receiving the same volume signal by the way).
  • Big big bass! Who would have thought such little speakers would give such a big low end. I don't mean "big bass for such a small speaker", I mean "big bass". Not only was it big, but it was full and round without being exaggerated. I actually ended up cutting the LF back on the speakers a bit.
  • Nice clarity in the high frequencies without being hyped or hard to listen to.
  • These speakers sound great at all volumes. The bass doesn't disappear at lower volumes like it can on some speakers, and sounds very pleasant at lower volumes allowing you to mix at lower volumes without feeling a need to crank the volume to hear what is going on with your mix.
Overall they were great monitors. I'm interested in hearing the larger monitors because the 120s were just a bit too small to cover the entire room. But in a smaller control room, these would be perfect!

No I am not a paid endorser, just a very impressed user.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry, I live in Winnipeg. We don't have a plethora of esoteric monitors. Instead of facepalming and being ignorant how about you listen to them?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth ➑️
Sorry, I live in Winnipeg. We don't have a plethora of esoteric monitors. Instead of facepalming and being ignorant how about you listen to them?
LOL, i used to own a pair, thats what im trying to say, they are Klein & Hummel, been around for a long time now.....
Old 4th June 2011
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
I may be wrong and am not sitting here with all info in front of me, but didn't Neumann (A) improve the design and (B) lower the price? Seems like more than an attempt at hype. We've got a couple pair showing up any day now, I for one am interested in some side by side action too.

War
Why is this hype?

The O110 had a box that was very expensive to make. So make a new box out of cast metal and, if you get the design right, you can make a superior product at a lower price.

Not hype, just good engineering.

Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
LOL, i used to own a pair, thats what im trying to say, they are Klein & Hummel, been around for a long time now.....

Hey it's not like they were bought out by Behringer. I'm sure they made great speakers, but the Neumanns are really nice to my ears. Not the Genelecs, but there wasn't a $1500 difference between the two.
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➑️
Why is this hype?
"Seems like more than an attempt at hype."

Sorry, I was agreeing with you that there was not hype by simply using the Neumann name. It seems they are not just rebranding them was my point, so it's not just a name change.

War
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth ➑️
Hey it's not like they were bought out by Behringer. I'm sure they made great speakers, but the Neumanns are really nice to my ears. Not the Genelecs, but there wasn't a $1500 difference between the two.
No one is arguing their quality, which is great, im just saying they have been around for years, and just because Neumann bought them you are finally discovering, proving my theory of a company hypeing a product...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
This guy doesn't get it. They are not the same speakers. But don't take my word for it. Read Willetts post regarding redesign, different cabinet, etc. Neumann owns K&H yes, but these are not the same as O110s or whatever model you used to own...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
i wonder to what extend neumann is involved in the development of these monitors, often the original designers of smaller companies still do their job when taken over by a giant company , it's not like K+H needed a quality boost or anything, i'm sure it's not ALL neumann design all of a sudden...
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Neumann does not "own" K+H, they all belong to the Sennheiser group: the former since 1991, the latter since 2005. Sennheiser decided to retire the K+H brand name, transfer studio speakers to the Neumann brand, and installation gear to the Sennheiser brand, all for marketing reasons. Research and production facilities as well as personnel remain the same. K+H studio speakers are unchanged, even retaining the red K+H logo, but are now sold as Neumanns. Starting with the brand new 120, they are to be gradually replaced by new models with the silver lozenge Neumann logo.
Old 5th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

44 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
When the new 0300's come out next year, I may replace my Focal Twins with them. I feel a little better knowing the K&H crew are still there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have the 0300s and 0810 sub.. and can't be happier... for the price I think for my taste can't get it better otm.
Old 5th June 2011
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael cleary ➑️
This guy doesn't get it. They are not the same speakers. But don't take my word for it. Read Willetts post regarding redesign, different cabinet, etc. Neumann owns K&H yes, but these are not the same as O110s or whatever model you used to own...
No, but it's still K+H in the real sense, as the design team are all the same K+H guys and this was all planned by K+H well before they were badged Neumann.

It's really only the badge that has changed.

Old 5th June 2011
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It's all business....
Back to the topic:
New K+H vs old K+H
Which one you prefer?
And what's new there?
And what's the pros and cons please listed both ~
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No, but it's still K+H in the real sense, as the design team are all the same K+H guys and this was all planned by K+H well before they were badged Neumann.

It's really only the badge that has changed.
If so, just keep in mind that it is incredibly (INCREDIBLY!) rare for a company to buy another and only change the name. There is usually a large amount of cost cutting and design diddling, often to the point where the remaining 'team' either leaves or is bludgeoned into submission.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No one is arguing their quality, which is great, im just saying they have been around for years, and just because Neumann bought them you are finally discovering, proving my theory of a company hypeing a product...
To many people the term "hype" connotes claims that cannot be backed up by performance. No one is claiming that these speakers are junk. My guess is that with the Neumann brand comes the Neumann distribution network and sales force. They can get more of these speakers into more stores. If they are good speakers that doesn't hurt anyone but their competition. Floor space and inventory are limited in most pro audio shops. The fact that I was never able to conveniently audition a pair of K&H speakers might have a lot to do with why I never bought a pair (or 5 plus a sub!).

To most people, a company "hypeing" (sic) a product is very different from a company getting a good product in to stores where they can be seen and heard.
Old 5th June 2011
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganmedia ➑️
To many people the term "hype" connotes claims that cannot be backed up by performance. No one is claiming that these speakers are junk. My guess is that with the Neumann brand comes the Neumann distribution network and sales force. They can get more of these speakers into more stores. If they are good speakers that doesn't hurt anyone but their competition. Floor space and inventory are limited in most pro audio shops. The fact that I was never able to conveniently audition a pair of K&H speakers might have a lot to do with why I never bought a pair (or 5 plus a sub!).

To most people, a company "hypeing" (sic) a product is very different from a company getting a good product in to stores where they can be seen and heard.
Agreed.

The whole reason for the name change was that K+H were only known in a few countries and unknown, with very low sales, in other parts of the world.

Renaming the studio monitors as "Neumann" which is well known over all the world will mean that the monitors would sell in areas they previously didn't.

This was all explained in Sennheiser's press release 18 months ago.

Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Why is this hype?

The O110 had a box that was very expensive to make. So make a new box out of cast metal and, if you get the design right, you can make a superior product at a lower price.

Not hype, just good engineering.

I know, late to the game again, I'm sure it's been dealt with, but it reads to me that he was referencing the term hype that a different poster used, not you, so don't worry :-)
Lives for gear

44 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The K&H monitors have been around for a while so they are updating their line just like Adam did. Newer technology and ways to cut cost are being implemented. It's good for everyone.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't know if I would consider that hype. If they were awful sounding speakers with the Neumann badge, then it would be hype but if hype is a large brand bringing a good product to a lot of people than it's just a good product. Again, I've never listened to the K+H, I knew what they were but never had the chance cause my retailer doesn't typically bring in the really expensive stuff.
mfischman3
Quote:
No hype.

The Neumann KH120 replace the older K+H O110.
I'm slightly unclear... Neumann is still listing both the newer KH120A & the O110 on their site.

Can someone clarify?

Thanks
Old 5th June 2011
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfischman3 ➑️
I'm slightly unclear... Neumann is still listing both the newer KH120A & the O110 on their site.

Can someone clarify?

Thanks
Probably because some people still have stock of the O110.

Also the O110D is still current until the KH120D is released.

Old 6th June 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
(...) I am hoping to get a pair of KH120A in about a week to compare side-by-side with my O110D. (...)
Looking forward to your findings. In the meantime I'm having a really good time listening to my new KH 120A's
Old 6th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_G ➑️
Looking forward to your findings. In the meantime I'm having a really good time listening to my new KH 120A's
Please give us a review. I hope too purchase a pair later in the year. I have a small treated room.
πŸ“ Reply