Quantcast
Chandler TG Channel MKII - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler TG Channel MKII
Old 27th February 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Chandler TG Channel MKII

I have been looking at the Chandler TG Channel MK II - The one with single pre and EQ.

I'm looking for a pre to record Metal and Heavy Rock guitar, bass and vox through do you think this pre is suited to the task? How does this pre work with the Royer-121?
Thanks for any advice!
-Ben
Old 27th February 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
It rocks! Especially for what your doing, be it with a 121 or a 57 or a U67. That pre and EQ combo rock on guitars. On a side note, I would like to say that I really enjoy them on toms too!
Old 27th February 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I have 2

Brilliant on guitars and vox

Less on DI'd bass (the eq doesn't cut it) I always stick a pultec after it
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I finally tried a TG Mk 11 out and I dont know, i wasnt blown away with it.
the knobs also seemed a bit toy-like, a bit fragile.
It sounded good, but it didnt blow me away and i used it on guitars and bass and drums and vox.
The passive EQ is pretty nice but the pre isnt doing anything i would rave about, but if you want a tool to beef up guitars or give them bite or whatever the EQ will do the trick nicely, but i think the TG stuff is slightly overatted on this forum.
I personally think you would be better off getting a nice EQ instead.
good luck
Chymer
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think it's VERY suited. (I own tons of this stuff) but if your strictly hardcore metal, I would for sure audition some API stuff. Punchier and more in your face. The Chandler stuff (IMO) is a little bigger/rounder sounding than API - it really depends on the sound your going for.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chymer
I finally tried a TG Mk 11 out and I dont know, i wasnt blown away with it.
the knobs also seemed a bit toy-like, a bit fragile.
It sounded good, but it didnt blow me away and i used it on guitars and bass and drums and vox.
The passive EQ is pretty nice but the pre isnt doing anything i would rave about, but if you want a tool to beef up guitars or give them bite or whatever the EQ will do the trick nicely, but i think the TG stuff is slightly overatted on this forum.
I personally think you would be better off getting a nice EQ instead.
good luck
Chymer
I get what your saying to a degree, If all I had in my studio was a 1073 I would be able to do all the overdubs I wanted and not feel at a loss. With the TG CH, there would be a couple of things I would know I could get better with something else. On the flip side, I have been using my 1073's a lot less sence I got the TG CH. As fas as eq goes, it's not for everything, but when it works it rocks.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've never really cared for using much EQ on the way in. EQ for me, is best left to the mix stage.

That's why John Merchant used the TG2 on Streisand's vocals for her latest album....TG2-Apogee...Pro Tools.

EQ later

TH
Old 28th February 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I come from more of doing the modern pop and rock over Streisand, but I still don't usually use that EQ on vocals, or any EQ for that matter (aside from a pultec) on the way in.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wonder what Streisand charges an engineer to record these days...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore
I wonder what Streisand charges an engineer to record these days...

Apparently they get to record at her home, in the adjoining "cottage"....sounds pretty relaxing to me

TH
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Mk2 Channel is an amazing sounding channel, I prefer it over the LTD-1 (which some Chandler lovers think is insane) but together with the R121 I think you'll find audio heaven. It's no 1073, its an EMI channel and the EQ is great, full of tone and shape that works nicely, VERY differently, VERY well!!

Jim
πŸ“ Reply