Quantcast
Equipment that holds it's value - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Equipment that holds it's value
Old 16th April 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years

I was considering which equipment holds its value well.

There are a few obvious candidates:
Moog... Minimoog
Roland... TB-303, TR-909, TR-808
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
U47's, C12's, Neve 8058 / 8068, API 2488 / 1604.
Old 16th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Any equipment you buy used @+/-40% discount off its new price will hold its value pretty well.
Old 17th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Studio standards like vintage Neumann mics (old U87, U77/U67/U47, KM54/64/74/84 etc) and classic outboard gear like Urei 1176/1178/LA-2A/LA-3A and dbx 160VU. Classic modules from old Neve boards, Telefunken mic pres, some classic RCA gear, Fairchild stuff, etc. Vintage Gibson and Fender guitars. Classic Fender and Vox amps.

What is not likely to hold its value are computer based things like DA converters which will presumably be replaced by better computer based things in the future. I have no idea if any of the new boutique gear made by small companies will increase in value or not. If you goal is to maintain value, I would stick with the standards from well known companies.
Old 18th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Api for sure!
Old 18th April 2011
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust ➑️
I was considering which equipment holds its value well.
Any top quality microphone.

Microphones are a mature technology and good ones tend to hold their value and even increase in value over the years.

Anything with computer technology will go down in value very quickly.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P ➑️
U47's, C12's, Neve 8058 / 8068, API 2488 / 1604.

really? look at the asking prices for most of the stuff in your list, 6 years ago, and look at the market value today

80 series neves have plummeted in value....

NO GEAR is guaranteed to hold value, but it's safe to say that anything that is rare and universally accepted SHOULD hold value better than a mass market flop

the real key in retaining your investment, is to buy low and sell high....that is just plain economics...

something is only worth what someone is willing to pay....blah blah blah
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➑️
Any top quality microphone.

Microphones are a mature technology and good ones tend to hold their value and even increase in value over the years.

Anything with computer technology will go down in value very quickly.

M149's still seem to be going down in price....especially MSRP vs. used
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari-M. ➑️

the real key in retaining your investment, is to buy low and sell high....that is just plain economics...

8078's yes but not the Class A Neve 8058.

There's a reason why Rick Rubin, Daniel Lanois, Scott Litt, Bob Clearmountain, Dave Sardy etc.. have bought this model..

Also Oceanway just took out their API desk and put a dual Neve 8058 in it's place..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old Neumann and AKG mics.

Old UREI compressors.

as long as they are in good shape.
Old 18th April 2011
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Musicality. Taste. Skill. Experience. Craftsmanship.
That's the equipment that will hold its value.
Without that, the rest is merely hardware.
I've heard crappy junk recorded with SPL pres and U-47, and sublime music recorded through cheap Rode's or AT2020's.

The perceived resale price of hardware is just that: speculative market valuation.
I've yet to see a truly great craftsman caring much about the resale price of his tools.
I've yet to see one not caring about the intrinsic quality of his instruments, lovingly maintained and perfected, improved and, when necessary, discarded.
Therein resides the true value of the equipment.
Old 19th April 2011 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
any great piece of gear will hold value to some degree or other. great gear is great gear and some one will want it.
i think anything digital may not fair as well, but who knows?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
how about old digital effects like ams delays and reverbs?
Old 19th April 2011
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins ➑️
What is not likely to hold its value are computer based things like DA converters which will presumably be replaced by better computer based things in the future.
I bought a new metric halo interface in 2003 and sold it this year for darn near what I paid.

Do not buy trendy junk.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Most vintage Neumann mics are selling for more now than anytime prior to 2006. Of course there are some anomalies but on avg they have all gone up.

I have been collecting mics for 23 years now and once in a while the mkt will pull back slightly but then as sure as day the mkt resumes its typical price inflation.

There are many variables such as industry revenues, currency fluctuations, economic cycles etc. Not to mention the "flavor of the month" phenomenon.

The important thing is to have a good musical ear and to have good business instincts.

Generally speaking I would stay away from most mid level gear, that is usually where the worst value is. For instance new Neumann mics that retail between $1k and $3K.

An exception might be the older TLM170 (mid level price but great mic) or an older Sennheiser 441 or an RE20. All good mics that are not stratospherically priced yet are found and used often in most of the top studios.

As for hardware, last winter the Pultec EQP1A was selling for less than it has in many years. $4k was not an unusual price to find them at. That was the time to jump on a pair. I think they may have come back up in price a little. Also, U67's have stalled in the last few years, I have seen them going for near $5k at times (with all supplies and local too).

Also, the Bock mics can be had at a good price used sometimes, they seem to hold their value well. Same with some of the Brauner's as well.

- Cheers
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental ➑️
Old Neumann and AKG mics.

Old UREI compressors.

as long as they are in good shape.
Good advice there. Microphones and guitars are pretty safe bets!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneguru ➑️
An exception might be the older TLM170 (mid level price but great mic)
I would expect the price of these to go up, now that Neumann have discontinued it.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.e.neumann ➑️
Musicality. Taste. Skill. Experience. Craftsmanship.
LOL....yep, these have never been payed better than now.......
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Avid's stock...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Honestly i think that what really holds its value, or at least something you can sell for good cash and relatively fast, is anything popular, i have a lot of great unknown gear, but people just want to hear SSL, Neve, API.... you know the drill
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip ➑️
Honestly i think that what really holds its value, or at least something you can sell for good cash and relatively fast, is anything popular, i have a lot of great unknown gear, but people just want to hear SSL, Neve, API.... you know the drill
Yes people really pay for branding.

But, if it is obscure enough boutique made then it seem to have instant hipster resell value. heh
Old 20th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Api gear in general - their 500-series stuff is selling used now for more than it was selling for new 5+ years ago. As long as there is a demand and their reputation stays consistent.... I would say they are a safe bet. I have made a little money reselling quite a few used pieces from them over the years too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes people really pay for branding.

But, if it is obscure enough boutique made then it seem to have instant hipster resell value. heh
Yes, but even then, if you are selling/buying on e-bay, you have to add "from API Neve SSL Studio" in order for people to actually find your item hahahahaha
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P ➑️
8078's yes but not the Class A Neve 8058.

There's a reason why Rick Rubin, Daniel Lanois, Scott Litt, Bob Clearmountain, Dave Sardy etc.. have bought this model..

Also Oceanway just took out their API desk and put a dual Neve 8058 in it's place..

I owned a 8058 for 10 years and sold it for the same price a couple of years ago.

The desk paid for itself within the first year..
those neve consoles are cool
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The value of gear is what it means to me as a musician, not what it is worth on the market.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC ➑️
The value of gear is what it means to me as a musician, not what it is worth on the market.

the thread is about the market, not about you...
Old 20th April 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Moog... Minimoog
Yeah, and pretty much all good old keyboards - especially mechanical ones: Rhodes, Hammond, Wurlitzer etc.
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust
+100
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Real estate. It's one of the most vital pieces of the signal chain and one of the most valuable. Nothing ups your signal to noise ratio like walls and a ceiling, and it'll impress the ladies even more than a classic mixer.

Used houses and condos often sell for even more than they cost new....recent trends notwithstanding....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari-M. ➑️
really? look at the asking prices for most of the stuff in your list, 6 years ago, and look at the market value today

NO GEAR is guaranteed to hold value, but it's safe to say that anything that is rare and universally accepted SHOULD hold value better than a mass market flop

thats not true. there are certain pices that simply go up in price and dont stop... to this point. u47, u67, m49, any tube neumann, pultec, urei, neve, teletronix, emi, decca, etc will alwys hold their value and even raise in price. they do all the time. the mics i bought four years ago are now worth twice of what i paid for back then. we are talking strictly neumann, gefell or schoeps. same with the 10 v72s i bought a few years ago for 4 grand. i have offers for 12 grand and more these days. its about buying the right stuff at the right time.
but one has to know the pieces that will actually hold value. its like stock markets. if you dont know your sh{}t you better stay out. i ve met people presenting me their 10 grand u47 that was equiped with a nuvista tube...well, they should have better bought a car for that cash.
if you know what you are doing you can actually make big money. personally i dont, since i actually use gear. but vintage equipment is like antiques. you better know what you do!
πŸ“ Reply