The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High End Headphone Amp
Old 5th December 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Did anyone tested Monotor against Violectric /Lake People or Rupert Neve RNHP ?
Old 5th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raduverdes ➡️
Did anyone tested Monotor against Violectric /Lake People or Rupert Neve RNHP ?
Part of the comparisons are here, although very briefly: https://gearspace.com/board/12047674-post22.html and here: https://gearspace.com/board/12155514-post19.html

In light of this thread you may also like to read this review: The Authoritative and Potent Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier | InnerFidelity

I am sure I have read a direct and more comprehensive comparison between the Monotor and RNHP somewhere on GS, but I cannot find it now.
Old 5th December 2016
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Great HP amp: SPL Phonitor 2…

https://spl.info/en/products/headpho.../overview.html
Old 5th December 2016
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The Little Labs Monotor inspires the artists who listen through it,

Last edited by Doc Mixwell; 5th December 2016 at 03:37 PM..
Old 5th December 2016
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Ah, a new version out, the Phonitor X.

Just ordered it! Should be here next week to compare to the Phonitor 2.

https://spl.info/en/products/profess.../overview.html

Many people have said these (both 2 and X) drive the HD800 and AKG 812 like nothing else. I have both of those cans so will enjoy testing them all together. I'll report back.

Old 28th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se ➡️

Many people have said these (both 2 and X) drive the HD800 and AKG 812 like nothing else. I have both of those cans so will enjoy testing them all together. I'll report back.

What's the verdict on the Phonitor X? Looks interesting.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ah, a new version out, the Phonitor X.

Just ordered it! Should be here next week to compare to the Phonitor 2.

https://spl.info/en/products/profess.../overview.html

Agreed, would love to know what your experience has been so far. Thnx
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucin Niega ➡️
What's the verdict on the Phonitor X? Looks interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumhead1957 ➡️
Agreed, would love to know what your experience has been so far. Thnx
Sure. The Phonitor X is a fantastic amp - superbly balanced, great tonality, drives everything I threw at it. Sound was a bit tighter than the P2, probably due to the linear PSU that's built into it.

However, I ended up with an even better amp, the Violectric V281.

The power reserves this thing has is off the charts. It's basically a more powerful (and hence puncy/authoritative) version of the P2 / PX, which sounded a bit flat in comparison.

I didn't like the AKGs at all and instead invested in a custom balanced cable for the HD800. Wise choice - the v281 balanced is another level up again. Better clarity, definition and drive. Superbly built too, it's a tank.

V281 + (Balanced) HD800 + Sonarworks = ridiculously good sound.

More here: http://lake-people.de/produktdetails/hpa-v281.html

Check the power output at 600 ohms!

Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehmman ➡️
Starting with serious headphones that can be good to reference a mix, my pick, since they came out, was the Sennheiser HD 800.
With the new HD800S, Sennheiser has really raised the bar a notch, reducing unwanted peaks in the frequency response, making the listening experience more immersive.
It’s all kept under control without sounding sterile; a lovely sense of space to the presentation.

The best (IMHO) matching amp for the 800S is the QES Labs HPBA-2 S, a 'current-drive' balanced amp.
All you need for critical listening is there: a ruler flat amp, no color at all, great detail, lightning fast.
Very realistic rendering of timbre and decay for acoustic instruments, a wide open sound stage, revealing with lots of inner detail perfectly extracted, very well extended at both ends of the spectrum.

I find the HD800s and HPBA-2 S match worthy of consideration for anyone thinking of putting up a serious mixing/mastering listening rig.
How would you compare the QES Labs HPBA-2S to the V281?
Old 29th January 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The V281 is a very good amp, powerful and versatile.
The HPBA-2 S/HD800 combo, IMHO, is still unsurpassed.
Consider that the HPBA-2 S is a current-drive amp, this put the amp in a different league. This combo stands out when it comes to approximating a true live performance, with all the authority that entails.
Micro-detail, focus, precision, dynamics, correctness of reproduction, a sense of transient flow not present in any of the amps I've owned.
I've recently upgraded to the HD800S and HPBA-2 LE version, and I find it very easy to recommend this combo if you desire a top caliber repro system for your critical listening sessions.
Old 29th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
The V281 is a very good amp, powerful and versatile.
The HPBA-2 S/HD800 combo, IMHO, is still unsurpassed.
Consider that the HPBA-2 S is a current-drive amp, this put the amp in a different league. This combo stands out when it comes to approximating a true live performance, with all the authority that entails.
Micro-detail, focus, precision, dynamics, correctness of reproduction, a sense of transient flow not present in any of the amps I've owned.
I've recently upgraded to the HD800S and HPBA-2 LE version, and I find it very easy to recommend this combo if you desire a top caliber repro system for your critical listening sessions.
Have you tried Sonarworks with your HD800? They outperform the stock HD800S thanks to a tighter low end. Worth a pop.

Have you heard the V281 balanced? Your (great) review of the QES was from 2014 (I assume you're Frank), a while before the V281 was released. It uses dual, discrete power per channel when run balanced. A nice upgrade over the SE option.

Are you still using the V800 DAC?

Last edited by b0se; 29th January 2017 at 12:06 PM..
jck
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sure. The Phonitor X is a fantastic amp - superbly balanced, great tonality, drives everything I threw at it. Sound was a bit tighter than the P2, probably due to the linear PSU that's built into it.

It all depends on what you want to do with the headphone amp. The Phonitor 2 is primarily a studio device. You can even rack it with a dedicated accessory. And the loudspeaker simulation is more advanced than even in the Phonitor X. The Phonitor X is not the successor to the Phonitor 2.

The Violectric V281 and the Phonitor X are more geared towards the Hi-Fi crowd. Those are desktop units with symmetrical headphone outputs. Both of these units can be bought with an included D/A option while the studio crowd will probably use dedicated conversion.

This is not to say that the V281 cannot work in the studio or that the Phonitor 2 cannot be used to listen to CDs for enjoyment, but those devices were made with certain use cases in mind.

Last edited by jck; 29th January 2017 at 12:59 PM..
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck ➡️
It all depends on what you want to do with the headphone amp. The Phonitor 2 is primarily a studio device. You can even rack it with a dedicated accessory. And the loudspeaker simulation is more advanced than even in the Phonitor X.

The Violectric V281 and the Phonitor X are more geared towards the Hi-Fi crowd. Those are desktop units with symmetrical headphone outputs.

This is not to say that the V281 cannot work in the studio or that the Phonitor 2 cannot be used to listen to CDs for enjoyment, but those devices were made with certain use cases in mind.
Yes indeed, the P2/PX has some very handy functionality at your fingertips. Crossfeed, mono and single L/R channel toggle. I missed it for sure. I managed to find a better (software) replacement however in Goodhertz plugins; MidSide and CanOpener. I can get the HD800 to sound similar to my Abyss AB-1266 headphones, and that's saying something as the Abyss sound like no other headphone (a speaker like presentation, not in-your-head). With the right amp they are absolutely mind blowing.

When it comes to sound style, agreed. It depends on the manufacturer. Lake People (V281 maker) are focused on the professional market, and have been for decades. They advertise in no audiophile sources and do not pay for reviews. It just so happens their desire for studio/reference quality appeals to some of the audiophile crowd.

Take a look at their website: home - violectric.de

Entirely technical. You can even tell it was designed by an in-house techy as it has that 1990's developer look to it. They even use Comic Sans on their home page

That's not a website or brand designed to attract consumers.

Yes agreed. I also preferred the functionality of the P2 over the PX. The PX has a linear PSU however which tightened the sound up a little. Nothing major though. I would have kept the P2 had it not hummed audibly when powered on. That lead me to the X, and then V281.
jck
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes agreed. I also preferred the functionality of the P2 over the PX. The PX has a linear PSU however which tightened the sound up a little. Nothing major though. I would have kept the P2 had it not hummed audibly when powered on. That lead me to the X, and then V281.
Sorry to hear about the humming. I own the Phonitor 2. Totally quiet here. I bought the Phonitor 2 even though the Phonitor X was already available, because I use it primarily for studio applications.

It looks like Violectric/Lake People will get my business for my A/D conversion needs.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck ➡️
Sorry to hear about the humming. I own the Phonitor 2. Totally quiet here. I bought the Phonitor 2 even though the Phonitor X was already available, because I use it primarily for studio applications.

It looks like Violectric/Lake People will get my business for my A/D conversion needs.
Their V850 DAC is very tempting indeed!
Old 30th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

A little easier on the wallet as well. I like what I see.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Have you heard the V281 balanced? Your (great) review of the QES was from 2014 (I assume you're Frank), a while before the V281 was released. It uses dual, discrete power per channel when run balanced. A nice upgrade over the SE option.
I'm afraid you're confusing me with someone else.
I use mainly balanced connection, so I was talking of the balanced V281, of course, with respect to the balanced HPBA-2S/HD800 pair.

The HPBA-2 must be considered as a 'closed' system, as it works with high impedance cans, this still includes the Sennheiser's and the Beyerdynamic, which produce some of the best dynamic headphones money can buy: the HD800/800S and the T1 2nd gen.
The source rendition of these cans, driven in current mode by the HPBA-2 S, is masterful.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I use mainly balanced connection, so I was talking of the balanced V281, of course, with respect to the balanced HPBA-2S/HD800 pair.

The HPBA-2 must be considered as a 'closed' system, as it works with high impedance cans, this still includes the Sennheiser's and the Beyerdynamic, which produce some of the best dynamic headphones money can buy: the HD800/800S and the T1 2nd gen.
The source rendition of these cans, driven in current mode by the HPBA-2 S, is masterful.
Thanks for the clarification. I have some friends with the QES and they very much enjoy it.
Old 19th October 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Have you tried Sonarworks with your HD800? They outperform the stock HD800S thanks to a tighter low end. Worth a pop.

Are you still using the V800 DAC?
Hi, has anyone of you people heard something about Spl HPM Monitor Matrix 500 series ? Does it have enough power as Rupert Neve for example and some bigger brothers from Spl headphone amplifier family ? I saw that it shares "Matrix" and some other innovative adds (unlike headphone amps like Rupert Neve with "only" volume knob) like speaker angle, crossfeed and centerlevel with Spl Phonitor so I was wandering is it close enough to their performance ? I need monitoring mainly for tracking vocals in my home studio and I'm using AKG k240 mkII headphones. I tend to connect headphone amplifier on my Yamaha 01v96i omni out from which I will drag out mix for my headphone amplifier. I have vocal that I track on channel 1 and stereo track is on 15 and 16 channel. I usually lower down stereo track on 15/16 channel and bring up my vocal so I can hear it better when tracking, pity I don't have enough of quality volume in my headphones so I hope maybe Spl HPM 500 could help to get some decent sound close to natural while singing with headphones and tracking my vocal? I have 1073 pre and eq, La2a but still I don't get the natural sound in headphones while tracking. I still really believe that tracking vocal with headphones should be a joy and not a frustration because you can't get that natural sound especially when singing loud and when you feel that sounds bleed somehow, disappear, distort (hard to explain). Thanks and hope someone heard something about Spl HPM 500 series or maybe can compare it with some more expencive SPL's or Rupert Neve.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavengroove ➡️
Hi, has anyone of you people heard something about Spl HPM Monitor Matrix 500 series ? Does it have enough power as Rupert Neve for example and some bigger brothers from Spl headphone amplifier family ? I saw that it shares "Matrix" and some other innovative adds (unlike headphone amps like Rupert Neve with "only" volume knob) like speaker angle, crossfeed and centerlevel with Spl Phonitor so I was wandering is it close enough to their performance ? I need monitoring mainly for tracking vocals in my home studio and I'm using AKG k240 mkII headphones. I tend to connect headphone amplifier on my Yamaha 01v96i omni out from which I will drag out mix for my headphone amplifier. I have vocal that I track on channel 1 and stereo track is on 15 and 16 channel. I usually lower down stereo track on 15/16 channel and bring up my vocal so I can hear it better when tracking, pity I don't have enough of quality volume in my headphones so I hope maybe Spl HPM 500 could help to get some decent sound close to natural while singing with headphones and tracking my vocal? I have 1073 pre and eq, La2a but still I don't get the natural sound in headphones while tracking. I still really believe that tracking vocal with headphones should be a joy and not a frustration because you can't get that natural sound especially when singing loud and when you feel that sounds bleed somehow, disappear, distort (hard to explain). Thanks and hope someone heard something about Spl HPM 500 series or maybe can compare it with some more expencive SPL's or Rupert Neve.
I've not used the HPM but I have owned and used its (much) bigger brothers the flagship Phonitor 1 and 2. Both great amps, the HPM may be very good VFM.

Violectric V281 is even better though. If you have the funs, opt for that. Amazing power, control and natural tone. Bass is incredible.

Goodhertz make some great software for a more speaker like presentation when using cans btw; CanOpener. I use it along with MidSide to really open the sound up. Equal, if not better due to way more control, than SPL's hardware implementation.

https://goodhertz.co/canopener-studio

https://goodhertz.co/midside

Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I've not used the HPM but I have owned and used its (much) bigger brothers the flagship Phonitor 1 and 2. Both great amps, the HPM may be very good VFM.

Violectric V281 is even better though. If you have the funs, opt for that. Amazing power, control and natural tone. Bass is incredible.

Goodhertz make some great software for a more speaker like presentation when using cans btw; CanOpener. I use it along with MidSide to really open the sound up. Equal, if not better due to way more control, than SPL's hardware implementation.

https://goodhertz.co/canopener-studio

https://goodhertz.co/midside

Thanks very much for a fast reply. I already spent a lot for this season on a new gear so for now Violetric V281 is way out of my budget but great to know about the v281. VFM is shorten for? Yes I think also that HPM may be very good for tracking although I'm not a tech guy like you are and can't read the specifications but I guess I will be able to feel comfortable while tracking vocals and feel the dynamics of the vocal without loosing focused sound in my ears while tracking a vocal? Thanks
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavengroove ➡️
Thanks very much for a fast reply. I already spent a lot for this season on a new gear so for now Violetric V281 is way out of my budget but great to know about the v281. VFM is shorten for? Yes I think also that HPM may be very good for tracking although I'm not a tech guy like you are and can't read the specifications but I guess I will be able to feel comfortable while tracking vocals and feel the dynamics of the vocal without loosing focused sound in my ears while tracking a vocal? Thanks
Value For Money :¬)

I would imagine the HPM is more than ample for tracking duties! I would assume it's built for just that, and SPL are a top company. I'd personally buy with confidence. You can always send it back.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Value For Money :¬)

I would imagine the HPM is more than ample for tracking duties! I would assume it's built for just that, and SPL are a top company. I'd personally buy with confidence. You can always send it back.
I just translated a part of the review from the German recording magazine (the conclusion part at the end) ;

"The HPm expands the possibilities of the lunch box and offers a lot of function for the money. As loud as the phonitor 2, the HPm is not and that's why both the matrix and the general representation can sound not quite to the big brother. The HPM is still outstanding, but thanks to the matrix circuit, it has to be only fearful from the own house. Absolutely recommendable"

As I said I'm not a technician and can't read specifications and compare but please if you can tell closer about what lack of the loudness we are talking about compared to big brother Spl Phonitor or Rupert Neve headphone amplifier? Is it better fro me that I go for Rupert Neve if it can give me probably more volume in headphones than SPL HPm (big brother Phonitor is better probably then Rupert but also out of my budget possibilities now) or maybe in tracking vocals that lack of the loudness in SPL HPm is compensated with Matrix which Rupert Neve doesn't have..? I suppose Matrix might be good for making that focused sound while tracking vocals and not something you wont use anyway?
Old 20th October 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Did you have the chance to try Sonarworks plug with your combo?
Old 23rd October 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adkins ➡️
Did you have the chance to try Sonarworks plug with your combo?
Yes, recently, when I upgraded to hd800s and HPBA-2 LE version.
The difference is pretty remarkable, the guys at SW did a wonderful job on the Sennheiser cans presets.
Old 1st November 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Good dac to pair?
Old 1st November 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
New Requisite Audio Headphone Preamp https://www.facebook.com/requisite.a...09265112677551
📝 Reply