The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
550B Compared to Plug-in EQ's
Old 12th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Somebody change the record. Please.
Use what works. To my ears the D112 is a puff of air but it works for you. Obviously anyone who owns the hardware versions of these are going to say it's better cause they've spent big bucks and they want to tell themselves that and this is also the case for people who have the software versions. Save your money. The emulations of the API's are great and I'd love a pair of 560's for tracking but the plugs are great.
Old 12th November 2010 | Show parent

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth ➑️
Use what works. To my ears the D112 is a puff of air but it works for you. Obviously anyone who owns the hardware versions of these are going to say it's better cause they've spent big bucks and they want to tell themselves that and this is also the case for people who have the software versions. Save your money. The emulations of the API's are great and I'd love a pair of 560's for tracking but the plugs are great.
And people haven't spent big bucks on plugins? Pray tell, how much did the Wave Studio Classics bundle cost a couple years ago? It was like $1000 just for the API bundle. For $1000 you can buy a lunchbox and put one EQ in it and then bounce your tracks. The plug-ins allow for ease of use and multiple instances, but at a large sacrifice of sound which is supposed to be our number one priority.
Old 13th November 2010 | Show parent
D K
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I'd be interested to hear you describe what you hear when you listen to your good hardware eqs and then your emulations?

Do you hear a difference?

Do you think it is worth the money you spent?

I'm assuming you have done all (or at the very least some) of the above or else..why are you commenting in a thread asking about a comparison between a hardware eq and a plugin???
Old 14th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have not tried the 550 hw verse the waves but I have tried higher end eq's and while yes they did sound a little nicer it wasn't something that made me run out and buy. I hear the difference in pres a lot easier than eq. Its just very typical to assume hardware will be better than software. I think people tell themselves they're hearing something that may (or may not) be there when theve spent x amount or can't afford x amount. This includes everyone. Placing the mic right will sound better than ripping with any eq. When I'm using my eqs I'm usually rolling off lows and very little else. To the OP, I have no idea which is really better, to my ears the 550 software sounds fine when used moderately. It would certainly be a quality tool either way.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeaudiofan ➑️
Really? After the 1000's of threads about these kinda of comparisons, this is even still a question? Plugins are usefull, we all use them, some sound ok, but rarely, alright- never correctly emulate the complex xfer functions of a well designed piece of analogue gear....such as a 550.

No free lunch alas...
ha ha.
JP's favorite saying is true again.

"no free lunch"

spot on.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

hey man, believe me, if i sat down and heard a plug in that sounded like my API EQ's, i would buy it immediately and sell my API's.

it is not about how much money is spent or self assurance.
it is about sound and NOTHING in the plug in world can touch the sound of a real hardware API EQ.
nothing.
period.
end of story.

i could pick out the hardware vs software 100% of the time with very little effort. that tells me there is a pretty big difference in the sound.

as for the D112, sometimes a puff of air is perfect for helping to create the illusion of a massive kick drum................. nobody hears it solo'd up but you.........

🎧 15 years
API 550b plugin is closer to the hardware because the 550b is a lot cleaner and more transparent than a 550a. The 550a hardware has more punch and mojo and analog magic and much harder to emulate in software, definitely my favorite API eq.
Old 15th December 2010 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
No, but I would rather sell someone a hardware API unit than a plugin.
i would rather see some one buy hardware over a plugin.

🎧 10 years
Using hardware and then bouncing the track is a total pain...I think if you're gonna run a real EQ, you should get there 80% on tracking and not be scared to use it. Or use on your money tracks like vocals and then bounce when you know you won't have to keep tweaking it.

Using hw EQ API on guitars would make sense to me on tracking. Then only use good plugs like UAD Pultec to do some softer sculpting -- a bit of cut here, a tad high end boost there...

Also, probably hw EQ on bass on tracking would help out more too -- there is only so many ways you need to make a bass sound...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➑️
i would rather see some one buy hardware over a plugin.
All joking aside, I would just want the client to get the right thing for the job... whichever it may be.
Old 16th December 2010 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
me two, as long as it ain't no stinkin plug in.
heh
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I use both.

While the software is a useful and more than usable EQ, it doesn't even come close to the hardware. The hardware is just better at, well, being itself vs. software trying to emulate its analogue counterpart. It's harder to get out of the software what the hardware does so effortlessly. It's really that simple.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky4444 ➑️
Using hardware and then bouncing the track is a total pain...I think if you're gonna run a real EQ, you should get there 80% on tracking and not be scared to use it. Or use on your money tracks like vocals and then bounce when you know you won't have to keep tweaking it.

Using hw EQ API on guitars would make sense to me on tracking. Then only use good plugs like UAD Pultec to do some softer sculpting -- a bit of cut here, a tad high end boost there...

Also, probably hw EQ on bass on tracking would help out more too -- there is only so many ways you need to make a bass sound...
+1 on EQ'ing ( with hardware EQ's, compressors) while tracking..I try and commit during tracking and just throw faders up comes mix time..Most times it works fine. Then there's those times when you have to tweak alittle more or recut a track...heh...All fun tho'..
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
A few months ago I did not own any API. Then I bought the Waves API bundle. A week after that I thought, 'if the plugs sound this good, I wonder how much better the hardware can sound? '. Demoed a 2500 and the next day I bought it. Absolutely night and day difference. Some would say different but to me, the plug sounds nothing like the real thing.
Then I thought, 'How much better can the 550b hardware sound?'. Now I have a lunchbox with 2 550b's and a 560 on the way. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the waves bundle but this API hardware thing has opened my ears to what I've always thought sound could and should be. The plugs are great. The hardware is outstanding.
Old 17th December 2010 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sounds like next up is a 512c or two.

I give thanks for the plugs, uad2- Cambridge, 1073, Harrison and a Voxengo Gliss eq. The Cambridge in particular is a really useful plug. Unfortunately, I don't have the Waves api.

But I agree in general, the hardware is more better. The changes just stand out a lot more. +2 @ 2.5K to 3k on the 550b on acoustic guitar can make it jump out of a mix in a way no plug of mine can.

Bouncing, a pain? Well, it's not ideal but not as hard as say, using a jackhammer for 8 hours.

You can do do a lot with quality plugs and bouncing through a few pieces of quality outboard.
Old 17th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
First of all, Vintage 550/560 and current 550/560 is a totally different animal, especially 560.

Waves API sound OK with a gentle setting, but it doesn't sound like real API any more when pushed or aggressive setting.

Adding Decapitator to Waves API makes sound more hardware like, but it is still very different from hardware, especially when high is boosted.

It's nice to have a pair of 550 hardware, but most people will buy Plugin in addition to the hardware anyway. Waves API is not the best sounding EQ plugin on the market now, though.
Old 18th December 2010 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigen ➑️
Waves API is not the best sounding EQ plugin on the market now, though.
no, but it is the fastest to use... click, click done.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 ➑️
no, but it is the fastest to use... click, click done.
Its funny, one of the things I like about hardware EQs is that it is click, click done.

I often find with plug ins its click, click, listen,click, click, listen,click, click, click, listen, click, click, listen,click, click, listen,click, click, click, listen, done.
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan ➑️
Its funny, one of the things I like about hardware EQs is that it is click, click done.

I often find with plug ins its click, click, listen,click, click, listen,click, click, click, listen, click, click, listen,click, click, listen,click, click, click, listen, done.
for me with plug ins its click, click, listen,click, click, listen,click, click, click, listen, click, click, listen,click, click, listen,click, click, click, listen,

r!

get hardware click, click done.: )~

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➑️
for me with plug ins its click, click, listen,click, click, listen,click, click, click, listen, click, click, listen,click, click, listen,click, click, click, listen,

r!

get hardware click, click done.: )~
Dag... for me its click, click, listen,click, click, listen,click, click, click, listen, click, click, listen,click, click, listen,click, click, click, listen then change to another plug in, click, click, listen,click, click, listen,click, click, click, listen, click, click, listen,click, click, listen,click, click, click, listen then change to another plug in then repeat the only thing though is i have to say with the sound i have me = no hardware LOL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Click, click, listen, my woman calls reminding me to stop by the grocery store (insert other examples),
where was I.. click, listen, click, naah.. I'll finish it later. Over to next channel.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I love the plug but I don't make my money recording guitars which would be where I would use the real deal. Now if there was a neve eq for the lunchbox I'd be sold in a heart beat! I have a Api and great river pre in mine and the big money and time saver is vox and acoustic mostly. Still love to have one for myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan ➑️

problem with hardware is how many can you hear in parallel?
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
550B Compared to Plug-in EQ's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Street Rec.
Hey guy's I have been going along with the theory that plug-ins could handle EQ pretty well. I'm happy with the results that i'm getting. Lets take a Kick drum, I'm using a D112 through an API 512c through AVID converters, then in the box I assign lets say a mcdsp G channel compact for EQ'ing. I really want to know before I go out and buy a full analog EQ that I am going to be impressed. I have used plenty of nice boards but have not been able to compare them with some of the newer plug-ins. Would having a API 550B improve my sound instead of the mcdsp EQ? I have heard great things from both but want some input from [/url]
analog gear at this point, to me, is about how it reacts to sound as opposed to actually sounds. Being an owner of 550 plugin and a former owner of the hardware I can tell you I miss my hardware. It has nothing to do with the sound though.
It has to do with how much I could manipulate audio with it and not hear artifacts. In a blind side by side comparison I could only hear a slight difference when I knew which one was which. The difference was slight.

Having said that, you could mix a record with any stock Eq plugin and it would sound fine. Of course, that's no fun though.

Grab the real Eq. You'll have a relationship with hardware that can last a lifetime. You'll also actually own it, unlike plugins.

🎧 10 years
If someone can't make it sound good with the API plug's, that someone won't make it sound good through the hardware. But I know one thing.. mixing with hardware is a lot of more fun!

I find this funny.. This summer I was involved with 2 tests together with some other engineers.. sorry for hijacking..

- Neumann U47 vs AKG C12 vs M-Audio Sputnik: In the blind test the Sputnik was picked as the C12. 2nd listening when they knew the answers they all said the sputnik lacked the mojo the other two had.

- Universal Audio 1176 vs Waves CLA76(black) on Vocals: 2 people in a blind test couldn't decide which one was the better one, they both agreed that the CLA76 sounded warmer and that the hardware sounded more opened. 3 other people thought the hardware was the plugin cause it sounded "harsh".
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamesJond ➑️
- Universal Audio 1176 vs Waves CLA76(black) on Vocals: 2 people in a blind test couldn't decide which one was the better one, they both agreed that the CLA76 sounded warmer and that the hardware sounded more opened. 3 other people thought the hardware was the plugin cause it sounded "harsh".
This is funny. But I think new Universal Audio 1176 sounds more harsh than vintage 1176 units.
Lives for gear

46 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I don't think anyone is saying the plug ins of any software sounds just like the hardware. However plug ins like the Waves API can get a character that sounds API. I spent under $500 to get the API plug ins. I can't afford to buy a lunch box, several Eq's and their 2500 compressor which is over $2,000. If money was no object I would buy the hardware and perhaps fine tune the tracks with the plug in's. But with a limited budget, the Plug in's skillfully used can really give my tracks the sound I am looking for.
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
click, click, listen
Old 19th December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental ➑️
an analog API EQ is going to have a sound to it that no plug in can emulate and miles of headroom...........

they sound GREAT when used thoughtfully.
it is amazing how much you can boost highs and mids and not have them sound harsh.......

only you can decide if you will be impressed.

i love my API eq's.
+2
πŸ“ Reply