The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why don't more people use Schoeps, DPA etc mics.
Old 28th September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Most of the Schoeps mics can still be found at good prices used around ebay and such sites. All of their stereo pairs seems to be a great multi-purpose option - overheads, directional room (distance) mics etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante ➑️
You are both right and wrong. Right that people are using lower end mics because you can get decent results with those, dead wrong about the price/performance ratio or that the results are that comparable.

I have never seen a session player's eyes light up like they are hearing themselves for the first time when they put on the phones and hear themselves through a lower end mic, not once in ten+ years. Seems to happen almost every time I use the Schoeps.

I love and daily use Audio-Technica mics and many "affordable" mics, but they are not really a replacement for these. Good technique is going to make them come alive.
Maybe you should ask Tony Faulkner about this...
(he loves and use rode mics)
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Name dropping is not exactly the best way to make your point... I mean, if you want to talk about who has done what stellar recordings with what mics, well... Exceptions sometimes prove a point, not disprove it.

Speaking of names and observable coloration, there seems to be some of the Schoeps sound in many of Rudy Van Gelder's recordings, can somebody confirm/disprove this?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Name dropping is not exactly the best way to make your point... I mean, if you want to talk about who has done what stellar recordings with what mics, well... Exceptions sometimes prove a point, not disprove it.

Speaking of names and observable coloration, there seems to be some of the Schoeps sound in many of Rudy Van Gelder's recordings, can somebody confirm/disprove this?
You are probably right. But your statements were so de facto, I felt the need to make some opposite example. Many years ago, the truth was easy, those big names won everytime. But imho nowadays, the game has changed.

There are many great mics, that can match the performance of the big names, for less money. And many new contender is not only good for the money.

The other reason why even more people turn their back, and don't buy big names is quality. Of course, this is not true with all the companies, but lately everyone can see what the new neumann or akg is doing... of course imho.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Schoeps were not around then, I don't believe. At least not distributed to where RVG would get hold of em
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The popularity of Schoeps and DPA among location recordists is not just because of the sound. Loading in and out, barely enough time to set up, and worrying about "lines of sight" steer one towards small, light microphones, that don't require power supplies.

For me, it's a workflow issue as much as anything.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The price of these mics put them out of reach for a lot of us... but **** do they sound gorgeous... really unobtrusive capture... but a lot of us might not want clean at all, I like to capture clean then mangle, some like it mangled to begin with...
Old 29th September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray ➑️
Schoeps were not around then, I don't believe. At least not distributed to where RVG would get hold of em
Hmmm, I then did some digging and found a couple mentions that he did use 'em, actually, not that anything is for sure esp. when RVG is concerned.

As for me I like to mangle then capture clean then mangle some more if I want.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray ➑️
Actually if you study pics from Rudy's sessions I think you'll find 221b's lurking about...

i've got 4 cmc-6 bodies and 3 sets of matched capsules mk-4, mk-21 & mk-2h. I love the mk-4s for overheads and my orchestral work relies on the other pairs, They've helped our orchestra win Downbeat's award for best college orchestra in north america 9 times in the last 12 years or so... they seem to work for me. I love the mk-4s on guitar if I need a stereo acoustic to sound REAL. If I want vibe I go to my Soundeluxe 251.

I've gotten killer kora sound from the schoeps as well with maybe a touch of VM-1 rolled in there or valvet if the kora player was singing (and a pair of 193s 3 or 4' away).

The VM-1 is my go to for Tenor sax and most male vocals.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Heimbecker ➑️
Actually if you study pics from Rudy's sessions I think you'll find 221b's lurking about...

i've got 4 cmc-6 bodies and 3 sets of matched capsules mk-4, mk-21 & mk-2. I love the mk-4s for overheads and my orchestral work relies on the other pairs, They've helped our orchestra win Downbeat's award for best college orchestra in north america 9 times in the last 12 years or so... they seem to work for me. I love the mk-4s on guitar if I need a stereo acoustic to sound REAL. If I want vibe I go to my Soundeluxe 251.

I've gotten killer kora sound from the schoeps as well with maybe a touch of VM-1 rolled in there or valvet if the kora player was singing (and a pair of 193s 3 or 4' away).

The VM-1 is my go to for Tenor sax and most male vocals.
Nice! Glad my ears didn't let me down... I want some 221b's now...

1954... Damn what a classic looking design.

A single MK-4 sounds great on acoustic too. Come to think of it the VM-1 is also pretty awesome. At least on the sessions when the 'vibe' is a vibey sounding guitar and player. With the Sdlx 251 I seem to have had less luck, or maybe the one I was using was in bad shape, seemed like it might have been.

Have you tried the VM-1 on overhead duty? Not bad... for the right kind of music and the right drummer I have loved using one VM-1... period. No other mics needed.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Nice! Glad my ears didn't let me down... I want some 221b's now...

1954... Damn what a classic looking design.

A single MK-4 sounds great on acoustic too. Come to think of it the VM-1 is also pretty awesome. At least on the sessions when the 'vibe' is a vibey sounding guitar and player. With the Sdlx 251 I seem to have had less luck, or maybe the one I was using was in bad shape, seemed like it might have been.

Have you tried the VM-1 on overhead duty? Not bad... for the right kind of music and the right drummer I have loved using one VM-1... period. No other mics needed.
I've never tossed my beloved VM-1 over the kit but I went through a long period of back to mono OH with the SDLX-251 which was awesome, man it brought some mojo to the toms... and had a really nice sizzle on the cymbals. Ultimately though stereo won out. If I could just justify a pair for OH...
Old 5th December 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowswing ➑️
the people that use schoeps and dpa are busy recording and not writing in forums...
Very true. The Deutsche Grammophon, Telarc, Archiv and Phillips Classical guys are busy getting levels at Carnegie Hall and the Royal Albert Hall not typing on their laptops.
Old 5th December 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by troubles123 ➑️
Schoeps cmc6/mk4 are great on vocals too. So many times (depending on the singer) I A/B them with U87 and use the schoeps. They have a very strong response on acoustical instruments. They're great on cabinets too, if you get an attenuator. Brilliant expecially on strings and acoustic guitars (when you want a huge sound, maybe from a Gibson). Very good for a one mic setup on drums, maybe routed in a 1176 if you want a "when the levee breaks" drum sound. Definetly some of the best microphones I've ever used.
cheers
andrea
You should try the M222 valve preamp body with your MK4 on vocals if you like that combo. I'm happy to read your post as I thought I must be the only person in the fracking world that's using a SDC on Vox !!! You just made my day.

It is also stunning on acoustic guitar, well anything really.

There is some truth in some of these posters comments re "As they don't look impressive"

Some singers will pull faces when I put it up in front of them as it doesn't look like a big impressive Neuman. If that happens I tell them the price, that usually makes them then feel "special" if they still don't believe me I put up a big Neuman !! There is a psychological aspect to recording and if the singer feels important they perform better and sometimes the M222 gets put back in its box not because it wasn't the best mic, but because it didn't look right. Of course sometimes it looses to that big Neuman or SM57 on sound as all singers are different.

Right now I'm in love with a Sony C37a but it is very, very coloured compared to the M222 and sometimes a bit too much.
Old 6th December 2011 | Show parent
Deleted User
The 4003 is my favorite snare mic ever.
Old 12th December 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
so true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta ➑️
Very true. The Deutche Grammophon, Telarc, Archiv and Phillips Classical guys are busy getting levels at Carnegie Hall and the Royal Albert Hall not typing on their laptops.
>>> You might be right. I can just speak for myself.... Using Schoeps (CCM4, CCM2H, CMC6-MK4) on a daily basis for orchestral work alongside my DPA 4006's. And I just use them and don't write about them too much although I really love them. So here are some thoughts:

First: If you have the money to get some Schoeps or DPAs >>> JUST DO IT !!

Why? Of course, for serious work in the classical department there is no alternative. But also for pop/rock/alternative: They even give you the thrills when recording vocals, drums or guitars in the studio.

In that case the sheer dynamic range will cost you an extra hour on getting compression right. A "less dynamic" mic will just sit in the mix more easily. But when you hit the sweet spot in the mix with some good outboard-gear...oh god, what a great sound!

And now let's go make some great music. That's what really makes us smile, doesn't it? (on the other hand: what would our life be without that cool gear to make it all happen, no? YES !
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can someone with a KM84 and one of these mics record a acoustic guitar with them. Use matching pres and the same performance so we can get a idea of the sonic difference. Obviously place the mics close so they both get the same response from the instrument and room. Maybe even use a super clean preamps so we can hear the mic and not the pre.

Thanks
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Desperately seeking Bruel&Kjaer DPA 4003, 4006 and 4011 microphones. To my ears, they are without doubt the finest most accurate SDCs ever made.
Old 12th December 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I got a Schoeps CM64 tube LDC for sale.
It was serviced 3 years ago.
PM me for more information.
Old 7th April 2021
Gear Head

I know this is an old thread..but is there a reason why people only use scheop mics for instruments and voiceovers? I feel like these would translate well on a song with lyrics. Why dont morenpeople use these mics during a tracking session for singers or rappers. I havent found one video online
Old 7th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think it's because Most Schoeps mics are relatively small and unimposing. Of course, you could try one of these, but $Wow$! I've used this mic. Very nice on voice.

https://bhpho.to/31S2AOT
Old 10th April 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehGuitarist ➑️
I see heaps of talk about neumanns and all those lovely 1-5k mics... but why is there very little talk about schoeps, DPA and the higher end AKG and Sennheiser mics?

I realise they get used more in broadcast than music but i was recently talking to an audio girl who does opera at the studio, she was accepting of the neumanns we had, begrudgingly accepting of the akg 451s and wouldnt even touch the shures ksm 141s.

Now the shures are sorta no surprise, they aren't the cleanest most transparent mics in the world but i like em.

So how come we don't use schoeps or DPA as overheads/whatever else. I see so many people saying they want a clean transparent mic... and as far as i can find out... they are some of the cleanest available?
I use them all the time for room ambients, overheads, acoustic guitars, lead vocals and backing vocals.

My only problem is I only have 1 x m222 2 x CMC5 with Mk 4 2 and 8 caps 2 x DPA 4006 1 x KM54 SDCs

I use the M222 MK4 on vocals and the KM54 as a vocal mic' all the time.

I want more but can't really justify it as Mastering and some mixing is really my gig these days.

I just love all Schoeps, I prefer them to the more recent DPA offerings.

Amazing Mic's
Old 10th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsle ➑️
I know this is an old thread..but is there a reason why people only use scheop mics for instruments and voiceovers? I feel like these would translate well on a song with lyrics. Why dont morenpeople use these mics during a tracking session for singers or rappers. I havent found one video online
You will see Schoeps leveraged often enough to capture classical, church, romantic, and opera vocal repertoire. And I image you will hear them elsewhere more often than you see them.

Schoeps is my absolute favorite microphone manufacturer. I own six Schoeps microphones and intend to double that number once their CMD 42 Colette digital series is fully released. They are the largest investment of any microphone brand in my mic locker and I expect they will remain so. I do use them on vocals - though my focus is original composition. . .not classical, etc. And I don't even own a V4U. . .yet.

I can't speak to why more people don't use Schoeps mics for vocals. The usual suspects [of price, marketing, culture, etc.] as much as anything, I suppose. Of course, many vocalists may feel exposed by an SDC.

No matter - I love them,

Ray H.

Old 10th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It seems to me that Schoeps might not need the "wow I'm tracking a number one pop single in a Hollywood studio!!!" bling factor since they're so universally beloved by so many high-end engineers all over the place. All the serious jazz and classical recording engineers that I know in particular swear by Schoeps and employ them constantly. It just isn't a brand that's associated with pop, hip hop, or rock, but I'm sure you could make some kickass records in those styles with nothing but Schoeps. They sound fantastic (as long as the source sounds fantastic).
Old 11th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath ➑️
You will see Schoeps leveraged often enough to capture classical, church, romantic, and opera vocal repertoire. And I image you will hear them elsewhere more often than you see them.

Schoeps is my absolute favorite microphone manufacturer. I own six Schoeps microphones and intend to double that number once their CMD 42 Colette digital series is fully released. They are the largest investment of any microphone brand in my mic locker and I expect they will remain so. I do use them on vocals - though my focus is original composition. . .not classical, etc. And I don't even own a V4U. . .yet.

I can't speak to why more people don't use Schoeps mics for vocals. The usual suspects [of price, marketing, culture, etc.] as much as anything, I suppose. Of course, many vocalists may feel exposed by an SDC.

No matter - I love them,

Ray H.

Yea I feel like they sound gold in every example ive heard them in. But intrested to seeing how they turn out in a hip hop composition
πŸ“ Reply