The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AMS NEVE 2254E reissue
Old 27th June 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
"Designed in 1969, the original Neve 2254 mono Limiter/Compressor unit quickly became a legend. Discreet, Class A design and transformer-coupled circuits ¬ used in the input, innovative bridge-driver design, side-chain and output stages ensured a totally unique sound. The original 2254 units are still sought after, decades after production stopped, and they remain one of the milestone pieces of studio equipment."

isn't it spelled discrete?
Old 27th June 2009 | Show parent
Kannepa,
have you tried it on the mix buss?
Old 8th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Isn't there a single user around?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserable ➡️
Isn't there a single user around?
What do you want to hear? At this stage in their lives, pretty much all the 2254 compressors will sound quite different.

Would I use one on the mix buss?

No. Probably never.

Vocals?

They're great on vocals, especially poorly recorded ones (you know the ones: clipped tracks done with 002 pres, etc). In this case, I prefer a 2254 which hasn't been recapped yet. This helps "thicken" the sound and can really take the nasty "digital" edge off and make the sound kind of thick and hairy in an analog way. The old caps also make the compressor track a lot slower (for a more "lazy" sound) and I find this flattering for vocals. Recapped ones lose this charm and the 33609 isn't even close, especially for the horrendous price. If you need to mix a lot of stuff and have demanding clients, its a good vocal comp to have.

In this way, its quite similar to an LA-2A

How about on drums?

It can be good, sometimes. The compressor works ok on some slower to mid-tempo snare tracks and the limiter can be great on room mics. Does its sound on drums justify its price? Maybe, but not really, imo.

Bass?

It can be cool. The non-recapped ones can do a tiddy job of fattening up a bass track in a similar way to vocals.

Is it worthwhile on guitars?

Not really, imo. An LA-3A or NY-2A is much stronger for guitars.

Anything else its good for?

Well, values seem to keep going up...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
This thread is in reference to the reissue not the vintage units
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thank you very much for your informative and pleasent post (according to your response seems the unit sounds as it looks!).

My question was more towards the AMS Neve revision which -surprisingly- seems to have no feedback at all...
tekis
If you want to see some REAL "protect the pimps mentality..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepapagold ➡️
Thats an understatement...

Jules actually gave me an infraction for posting that Madooma Mics is fraudulent for selling MATCHED PAIRS of dynamic mics and switching out parts- all of which is true. BTW- theres no such thing as matched pairs of dynamic mics... And I get an infraction?

My mentor gets PISSED if he sees me on this site now becuase hes the one who originally turned me on to it 5 years ago- and its a worthless joke now. There are almost NO MORE legit professionals who aren't [email protected] something...

This place is a [email protected] now and Jules is an internet babysitter not an engineer... I cant believe he defended fraud because of the new "protect the pimps" mentality... This site is trash now- but the classifieds still work! Cant really blame Jules for being so shallow though, money and success changes people! He knows whos feeding his wallet...

Back on topic-

Ive been trying to check one of these out forEVER and now Ive lost all interest... As it seems most have!

Bump for ANY 2254 news from USERS?
"Worthless joke"? That's an understatement. Go to the the thread about buying a 33609 vs an LA2A...

Why are Fletcher (real name Craig) and Vintage Puppet regarded as saints and sages around here? I hope I get kicked off GearMonkeys! I really do!

They act like they're giving you some sage advice and "mine's a true tool 'cause it got transfomers and blah blah.." THEY JUST WANT YOUR MONEY. End of story. Can I get kicked off now? Jules? Jules?
Old 16th July 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPhaul ➡️
Doing some searchs for various things really shows what this board once was. I've come across some threads that were amazing.
There are pimps (famous pimps) here that were very respected by me before and now I always skip their posts. They don't seem to even dissimulate anymore. However, this forum still rocks. We are living difficult times for the music industry and the economy. I hope that's the reason those people are so full of $ht now.
Old 16th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio ➡️
There are pimps (famous pimps) here that were very respected by me before and now I always skip their posts. They don't seem to even dissimulate anymore. However, this forum still rocks. We are living difficult times for the music industry and the economy. I hope that's the reason those people are so full of $ht now.
I agree.there are still some good discussions/threads lurking here..
you really have to sift through the serious bullshit now to find them though.
not just overzealous pimps but inflammatory trolls who have zero to contribute.
my days here are numbered
Old 19th July 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Old 20th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
I will kill you to e-mails then, you decide...
Old 4th August 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Hi there,
I've been waiting for someone to give feedback on these units...
I guess people really don't care about the new Neve company...

I thought it was gonna be THE reissue of the decade!

Pupo
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpupo74 ➡️
Hi there,
I've been waiting for someone to give feedback on these units...
I guess people really don't care about the new Neve company...

I thought it was gonna be THE reissue of the decade!

Pupo
It has nothing to do with no love for the new Neve company.

It has everything to with the price of the thing. Its too expensive for a reissue. I can get a pair of originals for less than a pair of reissues. That to me makes it a no brainer for sticking with the originals. Vintage King banked off the hype from this forumn( & this thread) and thought they could get a little more for it. They banked wrong.

If they dropped the price on it i would be personally interested in checking it out, but at the current price i will gladly stick with my originals. Because there is no way i would buy a pair of reissues in the for see able future.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➡️

It has everything to with the price of the thing. Its too expensive for a reissue. I can get a pair of originals for less than a pair of reissues. That to me makes it a no brainer for sticking with the originals. Vintage King banked off the hype from this forumn( & this thread) and thought they could get a little more for it. They banked wrong.

If they dropped the price on it i would be personally interested in checking it out, but at the current price i will gladly stick with my originals. Because there is no way i would buy a pair of reissues in the for see able future.
Hey Thrill...
Yeah, you r right. I just saw a pair of 2254's racked by Brent Averill for U$4500, just serviced. U can also get a pair of Chandler LTD2's for the price of one 2254-R. And I guess they are not going down in price.

Cheers,
Pupo
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I decided fairly long time ago not to buy (and indirectly) support AMS-Neve.
In variety of today's high-end manufacturer they don't bring such extraordinary value to table to justify their very special price-list. Plain simple.
My appreciation for some of great recording tools named 'Neve' and priced accordingly goes to genuine Rupert Neve company.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

While i share your point of view, it's interesting to notice that when the /33609/JD came out at a $4990 street price (then, a few years after, VK dropped the price to $4250), 33609 originals could be bought for $3500/$3750 on the used market, yet the /JD has remained one of Neve's best seller.
Same goes with the 1081 reissue, a lot of people bought them, even if the $4500 price tag for a raw module is high and often cost more than most of Vintage 1081's i've seen on the used market.
Me think it's just market timing....when the economy will get better, sales will fly accordingly. A lot of people hold off on expensive purchases and for those who didn't, i think they went vintage 'cause it maintains its value better.
One last point: The 2254 module is a sexy motherfvcker....the reissue is NOT(as much).
Old 5th August 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
The only thing I don't understand is what does VK has to do with Neve's prices...
Old 5th August 2009 | Show parent
bee

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Very well put.
Old 10th September 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Old 10th September 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpupo74 ➡️
The only thing I don't understand is what does VK has to do with Neve's prices...
+1 , like this is all VK's fault the unit is priced so high.
📝 Reply