The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG C12 or AKG C12VR, which sounds better?
Old 26th January 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
We own "The Tube" - it's no C12, but very nice

[QUOTE=dale116dot7;499284]The older 'The Tube' to me sounds better than the C12VR. I have not heard either against an original C12 at the same time, so I can't really reference how they sound in comparison to that in an objective way. They aren't the same, though. But if you end up getting the newer version of the mic, I'd recommend getting the older one 'The Tube' over the newer C12VR version. I'd try it first though, to see if you like it."

We agree with dale116... We have "The Tube" older version (looks like the C12 VR but brown). We have had the experience of putting it up side by side with a rented C12 on a breathy female R&B talent. The old C12 was noisy but unquestionably better; more definition but somehow less "splatty" on sibilant consonants. Both mics "heard" an octave and a half of sub-harmonics below a reference U87 (not that the ultra lows were useful on this occasion). When you first bring either of these mics up, you'll see your meters burbling around with LF information you didn't know your studio had, trucks, HVAC, earthquakes in Antarctica...

The Tube sounds to my ear like the way you wish your best 414 would, if it didn't have all that hash and and trash. It's not a faithful reproduction of your source, but it's quite a flattering one.

Recently had our old "The Tube" cleaned up and re-tubed (by the superb David Brown). It's our favorite mic on cello, very nice on acoustic guitars, especially 12 strings, works fine for certain singers, is a nice overhead for jazz drum kit, and shines as the figure-8 component of MS pattern work. The ultra-long cable to the pattern control box is quirky, but sometimes a lifesaver, letting you change pattern on the fly in live audition without interrupting your artist.

Hope this helps.
Old 26th January 2014
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
i had nearly all parts replaced in my C12VR .. worked electronics upgrade / new german capsule / power supply re-worked ... now it is a great mic ... before the work it was just a good mic ... thank you innertube audio for all the mods ... john
Old 27th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH ➡️
I ordered, tested and sent back a new AKG C12VR.
Does not sound like the original to me.

THIS IS FROM SEPT 2005 EQ MAGAZINE.
(You should read this article).
Electronic Musician - featuring gear reviews, audio tutorials, loops and samples
If you expect the new AKG C12VR to sound the same as the original, you will be disappointed, however many top studio engineers use the new AKG C12VR on a regular basis and are happy with it. I think it is a great sounding mic, but like any mic, it won't sound great on every source.
Old 30th October 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Removing the C12VR inner Screen

It was only mentioned in passing, but some folks have said that the inner screen looked ripe for removal on the C12VR. I decided to do a shootout last night with it in...and out.

Doing so reveals that the mic's reputation for a slight midrange dip, or scooped effect, is definitely caused by the beating inner reflections of the screen. After removing the screen, the mic's midrange jumped up. The air on top was less. I loved the sound on my own voice. But the almost-naked response of the capsule emphasized sibilance too much in the upper midrange. Too bad! Otherwise, the mic went from female friendly to male friendly in one step. Great middle and bottom...good girth all-'round. Of course, I could de-ess the result, but it just seems wrong.

With the screen back in place, sibilance fell back into perspective and the air-on-top harmonics returned.

I noticed no difference in background noise or hum...and I do have a nasty light fader near by. Also, the mic didn't seem to be tremendously more sensitive to popping at a normal 10" singing range.

I would consider removing the screen again for the right voice...and putting up with external de-essing to get what I need. It's worth cautioning that those four basket screws are tough to put back...and VERY easy to lose. I lucked out this time.

Last edited by rustyd100; 30th October 2014 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 26th October 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Al Schmitt. C12VR on drum overheads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MxwQmhdPBI
Old 26th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
C12VR is a good mic IMO. I paid 2500 dollars for mine a while back and I don't regret it. It DOESN"T sound like a vintage C12, but then again neither does the C12A, (which doesn't get mentioned much around GS). It's still a very usable mic. I think AKG could have done a better job naming it, but the mic itself holds it's own pretty good againts other mics.
Old 26th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I know this is an old thread but I thought this was funny.... Walmart really...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/AKG-C12VR...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 26th October 2016 | Show parent
Engagement Manager

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagonist ➡️
I know this is an old thread but I thought this was funny.... Walmart really...
Damn it...They only have one in stock and I was all set to order a pair from them
📝 Reply