The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neotek ´albums´
Old 22nd April 2010
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Neotek ´albums´

Hello everyone. It´s my first post here at Gearslutz, so pleased to be here.
I have just purchased 2 neotek 1e channels and I am very curious to know wich albums in the history of rock were tracked/mixed through Neotek consoles. ¿In utero? Nirvana, wich ones else?
Thanks to all, this is a great forum.
Old 22nd April 2010
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Actually In Utero was done at Pachyderm on a Neve 80 series. Much of Steve Albini's work has been done at his studio Electrical Audio and was done on Neotek gear.

I also have one and have done many records you've never heard of, all on the Neotek.
Old 22nd April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1989 - 98

If you click on the link to my credits, anything from 1989 to the middle of 1998 was recorded on our custom Neotek Series III-C

Actually there is a lot more records from the years 86, 87, 88, I can't remember who at this point, but apparently the site only starts at 89...
Maybe this will help?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
yes it helps! thank you drumsound and nobtwiddler.
I´ll have a look at those links.
More info will be appreciated!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
St Vincent's "Actor" was mixed on a Neotek, if that's of interest...
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
thumbsup
Deleted User
First couple of Interpol lp's, i guess anything by this guy

http://www.tarquinrecords.com/studio/equip_list.html

Also tons of records at Fort Apache back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Apache_Studios
Old 23rd April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Also the Ben Folds EPs, Saving Silverman (which Michael Brauer went to Ben's and mixed on the Neotek) and Way to Normal was recorded with it. I'm pretty sure it's an Elite.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul EQ ➡️
Also tons of records at Fort Apache back in the day.

Fort Apache Studios - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Really?
I could never find much about what kinds of equipment they had there.
Any idea what kind of Neotek they had?

Thanks,
Seamus
Old 23rd April 2010
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Tons of albums (can't remember what) came out of Russian Hill Recording in San Francisco during the 80s. They had a Neotek in Studio B. Might be a place to start for some research.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Check out anything from Semaphore in Chicago. Neotek IIIc 36 channel.

I know a few off the top of my head: Yakuza (although the new disc that is coming out this summer, the drums were tracked at Electrical Audio), Nachtmystium, Minsk. A ton of Chicago metal.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul EQ ➡️
It was an Elan. Here's an interesting article with an engineer
from the scene.

Fireproof Recording Studio

There was also a Pixies book i read a few years back that had some cool
pictures.
Cool, thanks.
I was hoping that it was one of the older Neoteks, I guess.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
the new swell season record, the last 2 tegan and sara records, chris walla of death cab has one.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskycouldfly ➡️
the last 2 tegan and sara records, chris walla of death cab has one.
The latest T&S was tracked on Sound City's Neve and Two Stick's Quad Eight and mixed by Dave Sardy on his Neve.
Old 24th April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Not certain, but I believe The Decemberists Crane Wife was mixed by Tucker Martine on his Neotek. He's a member here so maybe he could confirm this. Fabulous sounding album!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
hi all - i click on anything that says "neotek" around here so glad to stumble upon this. i have mixed bunches and bunches of records on my neotek elite. the crane wife i actually mixed on an api legacy. neoteks are great sounding consoles, occasionally i wish they had a little more grit but that's only on stuff where i'm looking for even more attitude than i tracked with. the bottom line is you can make fantastic sounding records on a neotek. that said, i'm not usually using the pre's, just mixing on the neotek after tracking with outboard pres so i'm commenting specifically on it as a mixing console.

tucker
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hey, very interesting all the words you are posting here, thanks a lot averyone! I´ll do some tests with the 1e pres next week, I´ll tell you...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
People compare the high end neoteks to SSL J's and K's, ie, clean and punchy. For grit, color, mojo or whatever you wanna call it, use pres to that end when tracking (eg vox or gtrs). Neotek pres are great for a lot of things like drums or ribbon mics!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey, Neotek guys, a quick question: On the Elite and Elan, where is the insert—pre or post-EQ? I've been reading the manuals on-line but seem to be missing it.

Many thanks.
Old 25th April 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus77 ➡️
Hey, Neotek guys, a quick question: On the Elite and Elan, where is the insert—pre or post-EQ? I've been reading the manuals on-line but seem to be missing it.

Many thanks.
Pre EQ (but post HPF)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have mixed two records on a Neotek which have not heard...but I really like the console...big wide open sounding desk...better sounding than SSL IMO with all the relevant routing options, good eq.very fun to mix on...not a ton of girth, but that's not it's thing.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Jonsi fron Sigur Ros just did a new solo album with his boyfriend Alex and procuder Peter Katis over at Tarquin Studio.

They have a big Neotek board there for mixing so I imagine Jonsi's album is Neotek unless they went elsewhere to mix it but I don't think so.

I will tell you that it is squashed to death in Mastering by Ted Jensen and has little in the way of dynamic range but what does these days.

Other than that, I can tell you that the record was amazing until it got to the mastering stage. The record sounds huge and very pleasing beyond anything I have heard but I can imagine how awesome the board mixes sounded compared to the CD I purcased. Jonsi must have just sunken in his chair when he listened to the compact disc after sitting it the studio labouring over the mixes for hours and days.

No dynamics though. It's all too freaking loud and after a while gets tiring on the ears. Not the fault of the people making this record but the fault of a ****ty fast paced industry based around the unpleasant and behind the times poor sound quality of MP3, and cell phone video recordings on youtube.

This new high speed delivery technolgy is wonderful but in many cases it has the ability to ruin a potentially good career for an artist. The clips I have seen of Jonsi's live shows for this album are just totally embarassing for the artist. They are all shot on cell phones and make Jonsi and company look like fools due to the terrible quality of sound and lo-fi video. It's like watching a home made video from a 1980's VHS camcorder of a high school talent show.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Texas Flood
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So I am curious , Has anyone tracked and or mixed on the newer Elan series? I have been entertaining the Elan table top for my personal singer/songwriter studio where I believe 8-10 channels wold work fine. PS am i correct that the Elan has a somewhat different electronics that the elite ?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Couple things.

The Elite has variable Q on the midrange.
The Elite also lets you assign the EQ to either the channel or the monitor.

We have an Elan. It's in storage right now but it did great work for us for 10 years.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoenyc ➡️
Couple things.

The Elite has variable Q on the midrange.
The Elite also lets you assign the EQ to either the channel or the monitor.

We have an Elan. It's in storage right now but it did great work for us for 10 years.
What are you using now?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oh never mind... I just checked your site. Very nice!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Elan electronics are the same as Elite. The Elite has a more in depth eq and superior routing.

Super versatile desks and great bang for the buck. The preamps are very good. I use them side by side with vintage Neve's and Helios type69's.

What I don't like (on Elan's):

-No eq to monitor.

-IF you want to set up a group you have to patch the bus out to the mic(line) in.

And the worst effen thing about the board - THE WORST is:

Phase reverse and HPF only work on the mic input. So when you switch to line in to mix with faders - gone.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
A year ago we merged with Brad Albetta that's how we ended up with the Calrec in our new place.

If we could find another room I'd set up the Neotek in a heartbeat.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats ➡️
Elan electronics are the same as Elite. The Elite has a more in depth eq and superior routing.

Super versatile desks and great bang for the buck. The preamps are very good. I use them side by side with vintage Neve's and Helios type69's.

What I don't like (on Elan's):

-No eq to monitor.

-IF you want to set up a group you have to patch the bus out to the mic(line) in.

And the worst effen thing about the board - THE WORST is:

Phase reverse and HPF only work on the mic input. So when you switch to line in to mix with faders - gone.
Just to clarify Your saying on the "New Elan" series, no Phase R and HPF while mixing ?
📝 Reply