The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neotek ´albums´
Old 25th April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Great example of the Neotek sound is Jarvis Cocker's Further Complications Album from last year. It was tracked and mixed by Albini at Electrical Audio. I think he cuts everything to Studer 820 as well. It sounds very clean for a rock album in my opinion. Some of that might be attributed to lack of compression.

Dylan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind ➡️
Just to clarify Your saying on the "New Elan" series, no Phase R and HPF while mixing ?
Yes it's effen ridiculous. What you have to do is bring it in through your mic input (pad in to keep it line level) and then you get action.

I don't know if it's the same with the Elite, but for the money they charge it better not be.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats ➡️

What I don't like (on Elan's):

-No eq to monitor.

-IF you want to set up a group you have to patch the bus out to the mic(line) in.

And the worst effen thing about the board - THE WORST is:

Phase reverse and HPF only work on the mic input. So when you switch to line in to mix with faders - gone.
I also wish the Elan had line trims.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind ➡️
Just to clarify Your saying on the "New Elan" series, no Phase R and HPF while mixing ?
only on the mic pre.
Old 3rd May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hello
Beastie Boys had a Neotek Elan in there "G son" studio. Used on Check Your Head & Ill Communication.
cheers
Old 3rd May 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
NEOTEK essence

im debating wether to buy a neotek essence or a Modified small frame ssl5000,
the neotek is 8/24 which is great for me , as i tend to use the desk only for summing , and not for tracking
the ssl is great , but i keep hearing horror stories about the maintenance
steve
Old 3rd June 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Chet Atkins recorded on a Neotek

Chet Atkins recorded all of his guitar parts at his personal studio on a Neotek Series 3. I engineered on "Almost Alone" which won a Grammy in 1996, was recorded and mixed on his Neotek. "Finger Pickers Took Over the World" with Tommy Emmanuel, was recorded on the Neotek and was nominated for a Grammy. Chet had been using this console since 1981 ish.
He would plug his Gibson acoustic guitars through a direct box, straight into the console. This is how he was able to help make better sounding acoustic pickups for his guitars. These consoles are VERY MUSICAL, GREAT EQ, Unbalanced / transformerless / awesome detail / sounding
Old 25th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapybara ➡️
Tons of albums (can't remember what) came out of Russian Hill Recording in San Francisco during the 80s. They had a Neotek in Studio B. Might be a place to start for some research.
I slightly remember that neotek at russian hill back in the 80s when Con Funk Shun did 2 songs (Aint No Body, Everlove and You Are The One) there on the To the max album. All the rest of the songs like "Lovestrain", "To The Max and the rest was don at the "Automatt Studio' (Harrison 32c and MCI JH-16-24 with JH-114 transport.) Does anyone know if russian hill was a Studer, MCI, Otari or Ampex user in the early 80s?
Old 25th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I really like my Neotek Elan table top.

Clean and the EQ isn’t too bad for adding some extra Oomphh to frequencies. Nice solid bottom end too.

I supplement it with outboard a bit but my latest mix was all ITB and desk EQ and an Avalon 747 on the stereo buss and it sounds pretty cool!

Am considering getting fadermate automation which would take it to the next level.

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 25th October 2020
Gear Addict

This is an old thread but Machines With Magnets used to have a Neotek Elite I believe. Mirrored by Battles was done there (among a bunch of other cool stuff) and is an excellent sounding record. I think it was tracked through a bunch of outboard API, though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
We moved a few years back and got our Elan back in service. Recapped the power supply too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ roscoenyc What a beautiful space you have! That room and rig look great. And I see you're just a couple (big) blocks from the Variety Coffee on Driggs, I love that spot.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoenyc ➡️
A year ago we merged with Brad Albetta that's how we ended up with the Calrec in our new place.

If we could find another room I'd set up the Neotek in a heartbeat.

Quote:
We moved a few years back and got our Elan back in service. Recapped the power supply too.
I saw this thread pop up and quoted your old post, because I wasn't sure if you came around here any longer. I was going to tell people that you did bring you Elan out of retirement.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
@ roscoenyc What a beautiful space you have! That room and rig look great. And I see you're just a couple (big) blocks from the Variety Coffee on Driggs, I love that spot.
Thanks. Variety has some good beans!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➡️
I saw this thread pop up and quoted your old post, because I wasn't sure if you came around here any longer. I was going to tell people that you did bring you Elan out of retirement.
The Neotek has been working better than ever for us. We recovered the arm rest also. Haven't been active on this site but we have been doing pretty good at our newest location.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The Neotek has been working better than ever for us. We recovered the arm rest also. Haven't been active on this site but we have been doing pretty good at our newest location.
How hard was that to do? My armrest has a couple of little leather cracks and elbow divots.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➡️
How hard was that to do? My armrest has a couple of little leather cracks and elbow divots.
You'll need a shorter screwdriver. You have to take out a few of the faders to get to the screws that hold the armrest all along the console from the back/console side of the armrest. It wasn't super easy but it's a good refresh.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I sold my Elan tabletop to a U.K. production duo who’ve been making some solid records recently.. gone to a good home.

Great little consoles. Look at fadermate automation it’s dirt cheap and good for what it can do.

Wiggy
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➡️
I sold my Elan tabletop to a U.K. production duo who’ve been making some solid records recently.. gone to a good home.

Great little consoles. Look at fadermate automation it’s dirt cheap and good for what it can do.

Wiggy
What did you replace your Neotek with, Wiggy?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Still TBD.. but watch this space as I’ll be building a mix suite next year hopefully once planning is all green lighted.

Back ITB w hardware inserts for the time being.

Wiggy
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Magnolia Electric Company by Songs:Ohia was done on a neotek, sounds amazing, and is amazing !
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just found a few pics of my room when the Neotek was installed, from years ago...

#1 When we were on the cover of mix 1986

#2 The Liquid Tension Experiment session

#3 David Torn & Michael Shrieve session

#4 Mike Shrieve & I at console
Attached Thumbnails
Neotek ´albums´-mixmag-cover-1986jpg.jpg   Neotek ´albums´-liqten-1.jpg   Neotek ´albums´-david-torn-michael-shrieve.jpeg   Neotek ´albums´-shrieve-paul.jpeg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Neotek Corp. in Chicago
Belmont & Racine Ave
Used to hang over there on the assembly floor
Later worked out heavily on an Elan console for 15 years. Excellent sound.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Here's one of several records I did with Backyard Tire Fire on my Neotek Elan. Everything but vocals, and maybe acoustic and piano used the console pres, and I mixed on it, using only console EQs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOF7...a6ccU091fGTDJM
📝 Reply