Quantcast
IBP saving my ass again..... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IBP saving my ass again.....
Old 8th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
IBP saving my ass again.....

First during recording of this guitarist, exellent flamenco guitarist!

The two mics(GT44 and AM62) were positioned for the best individual sound and the IBP made them work together and sounds great in mono too!

And then micing this wierd instrument called a "Cajon" or something... CAD E-300 for the "bass" end and a KM84 for the front. IBP adusted to give it a tight "dry" thump....

I find new uses for this box(IBP) every day!

Amund
Old 9th June 2003
Founder

Sh!t I got to get a few soon!

Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Same here!. Everytime I get around to ordering one something else grabs my attention...
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
Same here!. Everytime I get around to ordering one something else grabs my attention...
Just order it! you won't be sorry...

-John
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
My pair of IBPs have been the single greatest factor in taking my drum sounds to the next level. Also indispensable for optimizing the monstrous mic'ed and DI'ed bass combination. Can't say enough good things about em.

- jon
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by paterno
Just order it! you won't be sorry...
I know, it's long overdue.
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sigh.

Why is it always me that has to be the official dummy around here?

OK, I gues it's fate and/or genetics...

So, anyway, what is an IBP?
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You can check it out here.
Attached Thumbnails
IBP saving my ass again.....-ibp.jpeg  
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
where can I order one of this boxes here in europe (germany)?
how much?
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by lowswing
where can I order one of this boxes here in europe (germany)?
how much?

I bought mine from Mercenary Audio , there are dealers here in Europe too, but I happen to like how those guys in Boston handle thingsthumbsup

Amund
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Aaaah!!!

Ordered mine last week, can't wait for it to get here!
Old 9th June 2003
Founder

Sh!t how many can you use?

Inner kick / outer kick?

Sn & overheads?

Bass Amp & cab?

Then multimic gtr overdubs..... 3 would be usefull there too eh??

So is a 3 x rackmount the ultimate?

grudge

I need to rob a bank!

I have to get the mob together (again)
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Sh!t how many can you use?

Inner kick / outer kick?

Sn & overheads?

Bass Amp & cab?

Then multimic gtr overdubs..... 3 would be usefull there too eh??

grudge

I need to rob a bank!

I have to get the mob together (again)
IBPx4

And

IBP Jr.

Amund
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Mine are in constant operation:

Kick In/out
Bass DI/MI
GTR(s) or
Snare/OH

Had a PSU go on one which Mercenary Audio handled and Little Labs replaced pronto.
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I just got the IBP Jr., now I want 6 more.
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OK, now that I know what it is (and wish I had one or three), one more thing...

What does "IBP" stand for?
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
OK, now that I know what it is (and wish I had one or three), one more thing...

What does "IBP" stand for?
In Between Phase.
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
How does this thing work (in theory, of course)? I don't understand how phase can be anything but flipped one way or another. Wouldn't a box like this be adding a variable delay to "time-align" the fundamental frequency picked up at each input? I had actually thought of this idea while in engineering school because I noticed that flipping the phase to preserve the fundamental sometimes affected other frequencies in an undesireable way. I just kept on picturing a waveform though and couldn't visualize a way to modify its phase except for flipping it over. I'm hoping someone can fill in the gaps of my knowledge here. At any rate, what a cool way to "dial-in" the optimum sound between two inputs...would love to try one out one of these days.
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is it just me or don't ya think every channel strip on a pro board should have an adjustable phase knob?

Fleaman
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Fleaman
Is it just me or don't ya think every channel strip on a pro board should have an adjustable phase knob?

Fleaman
It's definetly not just you!
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
How does this thing work

http://www.littlelabs.com/IBPMAN.pdf
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
what's the diffrent between ibp and ibp junior? what's the price diffrence?
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
see the URL?

See the URL directly above your post? Think you can extrapolate from there?
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
You know it's funny, when it comes to mix time I'm still flipping polarity around despite the IBP 20% of the time. Could just be fried ears. But, I love those dam things. I have yet to like it on stereo vocals though.
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by beggehorn
How does this thing work (in theory, of course)? I don't understand how phase can be anything but flipped one way or another. Wouldn't a box like this be adding a variable delay to "time-align" the fundamental frequency picked up at each input? I had actually thought of this idea while in engineering school because I noticed that flipping the phase to preserve the fundamental sometimes affected other frequencies in an undesireable way. I just kept on picturing a waveform though and couldn't visualize a way to modify its phase except for flipping it over. I'm hoping someone can fill in the gaps of my knowledge here. At any rate, what a cool way to "dial-in" the optimum sound between two inputs...would love to try one out one of these days.
There is phase that exists between 0Β° and 180Β°. The IBP adjusts for optimum settings.
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This may be more appropriate for another thread, but the issue of phase alignment is very interesting (to me anyway). I've spent time reading up on this, but have some questions related to this thread.... forgive me if some of this is simple or obvious.

I've seen a few people here and on prorec.org comment that phase inversion/rotation in the digital realm may adversely affect sonic quality. If this is true, can somebody comment on exactly what is at play here?

It seems like phase alignment/rotation in the digital realm would be pretty trivial, i.e. a plugin that would rotate phase similar to the IBP... in the context of just this function, does the IBP bring something else into the equation that is desireable, i.e. sonic characteristics, better processing quality, or ?

Accordingly, the plugin market seems somewhat devoid of a tool like this (based on my google searches). Ultrafunk made fx:phase until May as DX plugin, now they are being bought out and don't sell it anymore. Is this type of function native to ProTools, or why wouldn't there be more digital IBP-style plugins?
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by heinz
Accordingly, the plugin market seems somewhat devoid of a tool like this (based on my google searches). Ultrafunk made fx:phase until May as DX plugin, now they are being bought out and don't sell it anymore. Is this type of function native to ProTools, or why wouldn't there be more digital IBP-style plugins?
Weird huh? You'd think there would be plenty of plug in's,even TDM, for this type of thing. I've been using VOCalign for double mic'd cabs/guitars, and having great results. I usually nudge the late track foward visually, then VOCalign it up with maximum compression. I find that it effs with your OH's too much, so I usually tinkle around if I need my (I say my, but I actually mean whatever OH's I'm given... If it doesn't sound right when I track, I'll work my mic placement till it sounds good, even if I do have an IBP handy) overheads sounding more tight with themselves, and the rest of the kit.
Old 10th June 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
From the uses of it described here, the IBP seems to mostly be for aligning or altering the phase relationship of two microphones on a single sound source.

Isn't this normally achieved by simply moving the microphones? I mean is this thing just so we can twist a knob instead of moving a mic?
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
No--moving the microphone alters the timing of the signal as well as the phase. The IBP lets you alter phase without changing the time relationship.

(Same answer for "why can't we do the same thing by nudging it in a DAW?")
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by AlanThomas
... Isn't this normally achieved by simply moving the microphones? I mean is this thing just so we can twist a knob instead of moving a mic?
By using the IBP you don't have to forfit the best sounding mic position on one of the mic's for the sake of phase coherency. You can have them both exactly where you want them and just dial them in. It's not just for mic's either, tape returns, direct instruments, whatever. The idea you can sit at the console and work the magic on this thing is beyond cool... That's it!.. where's my credit card?.. anybody wanna' buy a Reampβ„’!!?
πŸ“ Reply