has anyone used this preamp? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
has anyone used this preamp?
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
has anyone used this preamp?

http://www.rtzaudio.com/9740.htm

They've been around for at least 6 or 7 years, but I've never actually seen a unit or read a review. The gear looks well made and the description says all the right things....... Does this guy just need to hire a publicist or what?

(It's none of my business, but in my opinion, he would have been better off if he made the modules compatible with the API 500 series format. The modules are already withing a fraction of an inch of being the right physical size; he would have had to design the preamp around the API power supply.)

With all the interest in mic preamps over the last 10 years, how could this guy keep such a low profile all of this time?

steve
[email protected]
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Man, it is weird no one has ever brought this company up. The 9750 Neve style pre and pultec style EQ looks very cool.

Justin
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the rack preamp with the eq looks interesting.

steve, www.mojopie.com
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I'm gonna forward this thread to Bob Starr (RTZ Audio's owner and pre/eq builder) and see if he'll comment. I've met him and mixed a project at his studio. He's a stand-up guy and I'm sure he'll answer all of your questions.

Matt
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
the rtz gear looks really nice. i think i will take them up on the 30day evaluation they offer on their site.

hey hollywood_steve....

thanks for keeping us up to date on all the available mic pres, etc.
you been very busy finding some interesting information.

THANKS AGAIN!!
Old 10th June 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
RTZ Preamps

Hello All,

Matt contacted me regarding some questions posted here so I will try to respond best I can. Originally I started out selling upgrade electronics for the Ampex machines (some 6 or 7 years ago as mentioned) which have done well. Some time later I built the 9740 mic pre loosely based around a vintage RCA discrete design. Although the unit sounds good in its range, a number of factors make producing this unit difficult. The power supply requires -32V due to the PNP transistor design. So, we were buying off the shelf Linear One supplies and modifying these as required (time consuming and expensive). This proved to be a difficult manufacturing problem so the units were only built for custom order.

(continued...)
Old 10th June 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
RTZ Preamps (cont'd)

The Jensen transformers we used also made the units cost prohibitive. The unit delivers around 45db gain max and some see this as a limitation. In my use I find that in many cases the pad is required in order to reduce the gain to an acceptable level depending on the mic/signal. As such, I have not pushed the sale of these for the production problems I've mentioned.

However, the 9740 has been used by a number of people with great results. Best I recall, the last Sister Hazel album used the 9740's on drum overheads - maybe contact Don McCollister. They were also used on one of the last Man or Astro Man albums for the guitar tracks (Albini produced).

Currently, we are working on a new dual channel Neve style unit (the 9762 Dual-Combo), to be released soon. If things go well, we hope to follow up with the 9750 Neve/Pultec style unit. Preliminary 9762 info is available on the website for more information. Feel free to contact me if needed..

Regards,

Bob Starr
Old 26th March 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...3 years later...and I ask the same question..."has anybody used this preamp?"...
http://www.rtzaudio.com/9762.asp

...the reviews are stellar...anybody got "real world" experience with the RTZ pres?...
Old 27th March 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd like to know what's up with them too. I read a review in one of the rags a while back and I have been curious every since. I'm in the market for a two channel pre. I can't believe you dug this thread up from 3 years ago. Has no one used one of these? Is this poor guy still in business? Who's keeping him going if no one is using this pre?
Old 27th March 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

He's still around:

RTZ Audio

Mix mag did a review a couple of months ago - high marks, FWIW.
Old 11th October 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I too would like some slutty feedback on rza gear.

It certainly seems like they are good units on paper...
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…