Difference between API 500 and 200 Series - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Difference between API 500 and 200 Series
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Difference between API 500 and 200 Series

Hi all!

I'm new to this great forum and I thought I'd start by asking you guys a question.

I'm considering buying an API preamp with an API compressor (to start with anyway).

Now the question is, do the 200 series have exactly the same sound as the 500 series or is there something missing in these cheaper modules, both the preamp and the compressor?

Thanks in advance,
Magnus
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have the api 7600 input channel. It's really an amazing box. The 200 series pre and comp with a 550a eq section. You can patch out the separate sections as well. I also use the lunchbox 500 series, but find I reach for the 7600 quite a bit.

Check it out.
Old 8th June 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
The 200 series pre-amp doesn't have the DI or meter functions of the 500 series pre-amp... the 200 series compressor has features and functions far beyond that of it's 500 series sister... 7600 kinda gives you a "mix and match" kind of thing...
Old 8th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I've been told that tha 500 series has a more extended frequency range than the 200 series. Therefore, the 512c may sound a little brighter perhaps on some instruments than it's 200 series counterpart. This is the impression I have, I don't know this for a fact.

Goodluck,
John
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You may also consider Old School Audio http://www.oldschoolaudio.com/ for the mic pre and then get a api 525 compressor and 550b eq. That would be a killer channel. API just introduced a lower cost, 6-space lunchbox.

A lot of these items can be found on ebay. Though watch out for guys trying to pass off vintage 550a-1's as 550a's. The 550a-1 has only one op-amp and is much less valuable than a 550a. The 550b's are really beautiful sounding eq's and have more frequency bands.

-ray
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jmusic3
I've been told that tha 500 series has a more extended frequency range than the 200 series. Therefore, the 512c may sound a little brighter perhaps on some instruments than it's 200 series counterpart. This is the impression I have, I don't know this for a fact.

Goodluck,
John
Can anyone confirm this? I always thought the difference was just in the features, but I'm not sure either.
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I talked to a tech at API about the differences before I bought anything. He said there were build differences, but the sound was "very close to the same". I don't think API would be using the 200 series in their Legacy consoles if the sound was not at least as good as their older products.
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I believe I was told this by Greg Lukins at Washington Professional Systems. He's friends and works with Paul Wolff of API so he oughta know. However, you may consider calling Greg (301) 942-6800 or someone at API (301) 776-7879 to confirm. I've been buying my gear from Al Priest at Studio Tech Supply for the past few years. He know's API gear pretty well also. He's a super nice guy and would perhaps be another person to consult regarding these differences. His number is (512) 793-3730.

-John
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks for all your replies!

I've heard the 512c and I really liked it, so I'm probably going for that one, since I want THAT sound.

Besides, that also means that I'm getting the Lunchbox which looks really cool.

Regards,
Magnus
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I asked the same question to API and I got this reply back almost straight away.

The 212L are the pre-amp used for the Legacy series consoles. All API pre-amps
212L, 512C, 7600, 3124+ and 3124MB+ use the same input transformer and 2520
Op-Amp. The 212L and 7600 rack unit use the same output transformer. All the
others use a larger transformer that has about 1.5dB more gain and is a couple
dB quieter. This transformer is too big to fit into a 212L board.

Both sound great and most engineers I talk to can't tell the difference between
the 212L and the 512 with just the naked ear. Most love that the 212L take up
less space in racks and I guess because they are a little less expensive.

Thank you for your time and if there is anything else I can do for you, please
e-mail or call.

Thomas Schweiss
The ATI Group

Excellent service I think. That answered all my questions.

Cheers,
Magnus
Old 2nd November 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
200 500 differences

All the API mic pres have the same schematic, but the 500 ones have the larger transformer. The difference in sound is slight, but the 500 has more of the low end stuff, but not more level. They have the same response.

The 200 stuff is more simple and cheaper.

The best DI around though, is the 205L. It is a killer. Goes in at guitar level, comes out at +4 with a contour consrol (TONE) that lowers the bass frequencies so they don't over take the highs and a killer bright switch which is like all the ones in guitar amps.

They all sound great and aren't stolen...
πŸ“ Reply