The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Old Altec question?
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Old Altec question?

Anybody ever seen (or better yet used) an old Altec piece called:

1591A compressor/amplifier

It's one of those old dark green industrial looking things, 2 rack spaces, mono, solid state, VU meter, seperate mic and line gain pots. The compression is a four position selectable switch labelled:

•Out
• 10:1 @ O
• 10:1 @ +8
• 5:1 @ +8

Release time a rocker switch which selects either 0.5 seconds or 1.5 seconds.

Only other front feature is a power switch, power light indicator, and a fuse. Back has various barrier strip connections.

Any idea what this is worth? What one would be tempted to use it on/for? I'm assuming the "0" and "+8" on the compression settings are make-up gain?
Old 7th June 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by slipperman

I got one of these thinking it was going to comparable to the ALTEC 436B 'Greenie', that I absolutely LOVE.....

The one I got was a BIG disappointment. The pre was pretty cool(pretty noisy too...) but the compressor was almost impossible to get a decent sound out of.... I tried in 2 different mix sessions across a decent range of instruments and gave up in disgust.
Since I got the same impression from the 436B that you got from the 1591A, maybe the one you tried was faulty (and the 436B that I tried had the same fault...).
Old 8th June 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by slipperman
Holy Cow Dave!

They'll get my 'Greenie' off my corpse.

And they're gonna need an arc welder to do that.

That's why I think you (and I) had bad ones; I tried the Altec along with a bunch of other 6386 based compressors; the Altec, an LA-1D, Some Sta-Levels and some other stuff; I bought a pair of General Electric BA-9B's - they're absolutely amazing. Nothing else was even close.
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm with you guys on the tube 'Greenie'! I've got a 438A that just got back a few weeks ago. I had not been using it for a while because a tech friend was working on a variable attack and release mod. You can't get over aggressive with them [attack and release] because of the vari-mu design of the thing, but I like having a little 'pump' to it. It is stunning on bass and electric guitar. Mine also has the mic pre, which also sounds pretty cool as well.

Cheers,
John
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone have a source for the input transformers for the Altec 1567 tube pre/mixer? I only have 1 transformer and would like 3 more.
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I bought several from Mark Linett a few years ago.
His email:[email protected]
Old 16th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The solid state altec stuff is crappy.

The tube stuff is really great.
Old 16th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Steady now! The ALTEC 1612A Limiter Amplifer is very, very cool. Actually crazy, wicked cool.
Old 25th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I agree on that - the 1612A and B are completely weird, but very useable. Very much like an 1176 with all the buttons pushed in thing - crazy limiting. And an enhanced midrange that helps things sit in a mix. Although NOT good for minimal vocal compression, they are very useable. I know one big producer who ALWAYS uses two ALTEC 1612s right next to his stereo Fairchild!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…