Quantcast
Summit 200 mic pre - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Summit 200 mic pre
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Summit 200 mic pre

Does anyone have anything to say about this? I know it gets raves for guitar, but will it do vox? Drums? Will it do somewhat transparent, or is it just HUGE, all of the time. I can get a good deal on one, but I'm just starting to build a mic pre collection, so at least at first, I'd have to use it for everything, or use the board pres. My other choices are a Sytek (for a cleaner choice) or Averill 312s.

Thanks for your thoughts/suggestions.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I really like it- Although it can sound ****ty with substandard tubes. I put Mullards in mine and have been very happy ever since. It was designed by Dave Hill from Crane Song- so that should tell you something right there! You can drive the input while backing off the output to drive the tubes more or crank the output and backoff the input for a cleaner solid state thing. Built really well and its given me no troubles- And I got mine cheap because the previous owner thought it sounded like it needed to be fixed- so I changed the tubes to Mullards and it sounds like it should again....His loss, my gain.
Old 6th June 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Excuse my ignorance here, but when substituting valves, is it more a matter of using a better manufactured valve of a particular type, or more a matter of a "higher-performance" valve model (ie. if you've got valve X in your unit, valve Y or Z will always sound better).

I know from my guitar-playing days, hot-rodding the valves could make the world of difference to an amp's sound. Is this something a novice can get into or something only for experienced engineers?
Old 17th June 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Re: Summit 200 mic pre

Quote:
Originally posted by mml
Does anyone have anything to say about this? I know it gets raves for guitar, but will it do vox? Drums? Will it do somewhat transparent, or is it just HUGE, all of the time. I can get a good deal on one, but I'm just starting to build a mic pre collection, so at least at first, I'd have to use it for everything, or use the board pres. My other choices are a Sytek (for a cleaner choice) or Averill 312s.

If youre talking about the TPA200, i love ours. It is by far my favorite on heavy guitars.
I find it cool for keys and drum machines, as it seems to push things forward [?] a little.

best
Old 17th June 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I also love mine (TPA 200 B) It's my all purpose secret weapon pre! I run drum loops and samples through the line inputs and drive the input level to get a crunch that'll make you wet your #[email protected]%&. I also record gtr and bass through the hi z inputs and they come out fine.I've tried backrnd vocals and they sound ok. IMHO I think it's great all around pre.I plan on experimenting with running a stereo mix through the line inputs (for xtra crunch) then into a buss compressor. I could be wrong but what the hell. If i acheive the desired end results thats all that matters!
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…