Quantcast
Distresser Question? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Distresser Question?
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Distresser Question?

I useually lightly compress my vox going into PTLE. (just to take the top off)..my RNC into my ME-1NV has been doing a "nice" job of doing this, as I like the RNC transperacy

How much "more" will a distresser benefit me over the RNC doing it this way?

thanks
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
since you are using your compressor in a fairly transparent context and you like what you are getting now, the distressor might not be any better (or it might). Only one way to find out: borrow one and try it.

where it would make a more drastic difference is either during mixdown or during tracking on tracks you were willing to be a little more heavy-handed with.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think the Distressor would be the wrong tool for transparent compression. It can be done, but only for up to 2 db in my experience.

For really fast limiting though, it can be somewhat unobtrusive.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
I think the Distressor would be the wrong tool for transparent compression. It can be done, but only for up to 2 db in my experience.

Can't say that I agree. If you start with the recommended 'opto' settings (the one with a long attack time) you can definitely get a nice compression that lets the transients through but gives some body to the tone. I have had great results on a variety of instruments and vocals this way -- without having it sound like it is smashed or like an effect. It is worth checking out. The Distressor is the most versatile compressor out there.

Cheers,
John
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by paterno
The Distressor is the most versatile compressor out there.
The Trakker is also just as versatile but very different.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by paterno
Can't say that I agree. If you start with the recommended 'opto' settings (the one with a long attack time) you can definitely get a nice compression that lets the transients through but gives some body to the tone. I have had great results on a variety of instruments and vocals this way -- without having it sound like it is smashed or like an effect. It is worth checking out. The Distressor is the most versatile compressor out there.

Cheers,
John
Hi John, thanks for the technique. I don't usually mess around with opto that much so I'll try this out.
Old 6th June 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm really digging the LA-2A emulation, dialed in to taste but starting with the 'preset' from the manual (more of a pamphlet). Stereo linked over a whole mix, it can be pretty f-in cool. I want to try following it very lightly with the V-Mu.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The distressor is the swiss army knife of compression. it also excells at each of these areas it touches unlike other do it all boxes.
πŸ“ Reply