Quantcast
Picking the right drums - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Picking the right drums
Old 9th June 2003
Riffer

🎧 15 years
I have the Gretsch Broadkaster reissue kit and it just kills. There is definitely a reason why Gretsch and Noble & Cooley have become such standards in studios.
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by BattleAngel
Gretsch also seems to be a favorite for bass drums- do the new broadkaster kicks fare up to the older ones?
The only difference between the Broadkaster and the standard Gretsch drums are the "crinkle" finish on the lugs and rims. The standards have chrome, which is more expensive. They both sound great!
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
For snare I'd go for a Black Beauty.
The 1920's ones ($2k to 5k) are hard to beat.
The Radio King is significantly cheaper. As far as Ebay is concerned, I've heard the Radio King can be highly variable in quality and condition, therefore at the moment I've got a dealer looking out for a nice one for me.
The Supraphonic is a fabulous basic recording drum. Supposed to be the most recorded drum ever. It's a bargain at the prices they go for on Ebay.
The N&C Classic (SS) is a fantastic drum. I've had a lot of succes with the 5", also a piccollo.
Other N&C snares can be a bit hit and miss.
My Black Beauty is the one most engineers pick out as the 'go to' drum in blind tasting.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…