The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vintage STC mics. How good are they?
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Vintage STC mics. How good are they?

Hi there

Heard of someone selling Ex-BBC STC mics and wondered how good they are? I know that the 4038 is highly respected as an overhead and brass mic, but has anyone heard of these others?

4021, 4033, 4035, 4037c & 4105?

I know they are all ribbons except for maybe the 4105?

If they are in mint condition, how much are they worth?

Cheers

(I'm a little excited)!
Old 4th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
The 4035 is basically a WE 489 (or Altec 489) dual element mic. That is it has both dynamic and ribbon elements. It's actually just a british licensed version of the mic and indeed sounds EXACTLY like my 489. It even uses the same connector. I suspect street value for a mint condition one to be between £300-500.

Dont know about the others, but you can always call Coles electro-acoustics. someone there is almost always willing to talk about the old mics.

OK - I think it is the 4035. I dont actually have the mic in front of me right now.
Old 1st December 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I picked up four 4105's from an auction a few years back (£35 each roughly) which don't seem well known, but I use as my standard for guitar cabs. Liam at Toe Rag bought two of them off me, I think he liked them for brass. When we recorded at Toe Rag a few years ago, Liam used a ball and biscuit (4021?) for my guitar cab and also one placed to the side of the drums. I now use one for an under snare mic and sometimes a 4035 (which looks quite similar) for bass amp.
STC do a 'lip mic' designed to remove any wind noises for commentators or outside reporters, I've often wondered if it would help eliminate feedback if used as an onstage/rehearsal room mic.
Old 1st December 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bopmachine ➡️
The 4035 is basically a WE 489 (or Altec 489) dual element mic. That is it has both dynamic and ribbon elements. It's actually just a british licensed version of the mic and indeed sounds EXACTLY like my 489. It even uses the same connector. I suspect street value for a mint condition one to be between £300-500.

Dont know about the others, but you can always call Coles electro-acoustics. someone there is almost always willing to talk about the old mics.

OK - I think it is the 4035. I dont actually have the mic in front of me right now.
I think you might mean the 4033, that is both ribbon and moving coil. There's a couple of early Beatle shots (circa Please Please Me) where you see it on the drums (kick I think).
📝 Reply