A-Designs Audio HM2EQ Hammer - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A-Designs Audio HM2EQ Hammer
Old 5th March 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A-Designs Audio HM2EQ Hammer

Hi all

Do any in here have some experince with this EQ?
I already own six api 550b and need a couple more and
have no space left in my 500 rack, maybe this one will do a great jobb?

Thanks in advance

Nisse
Old 5th March 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisse Hult ➑️
Hi all

Do any in here have some experince with this EQ?
I already own six api 550b and need a couple more and
have no space left in my 500 rack, maybe this one will do a great job?

Thanks in advance

Nisse
It's a great EQ. Whether it's on the 2 buss or you're carving out sonics on guitars, it works brilliantly.
Old 5th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think the Hammer would complement 550Bs very well. I like to describe the Hammer as a "tube Massenburg". Granted it's 3 peaking bands without Q controls plus filters, but it sounds that smooth to me with a hint of tube character. One of those "no brainer" pieces IMO.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Absolutely gorgeous EQ.
Top End is da s*'t ,
Its "Nailed" to my 2bus for months now
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Nisse, Check the search function, there are lots of discussions about the Hammer and people's experience with the Hammer.

I will just chime in here to say that it would be a really good compliment to your API's. Not necessarily better, but something all together different. I have used the Hammer with an API 5500 and its a pretty mighty combo.

over 90% of the tracks I mix end up going through the Hammer on the 2 buss.
Lives for gear

Fantastic EQ. It lives on my vocal tracks and has replaced my 1073's for vocal EQ duties. Can't remember who it was but awhile back someone stated that "there must be magic little elves inside this box" and I've got to agree. Haven't found another EQ that does with the Hammer does.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hammer eq

Thanks all, i appreciate it

Nisse
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So how does the top end on the Hammer... and the low end for that matter... compare to something like the Fearn VT-5? Is it anywhere close, or is the Fearn really that much more gorgeous and smooth?

I really want the Fearn, though the price is a killer. If I could get similar results with the Hammer on the 2 bus, I'd consider trying it. If not... I'd just as soon use the cash towards the Fearn.

Thanks.
Old 6th March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Like others have said, the Hammer would be a brilliant complement to your API's. It has very different strengths than the 550's (most notably, 5k +). Nice wide Q for carving out some mids as well. Also good for adding a bit of girth in the bottom without being too obvious.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Lots of threads on this box. We're talking about different uses and presets for it right now here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...ml#post5176301
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The Hammer is awesome!

Here's the strange part: I know I'm odd man out, but I don't think the Hammer's magic is in the top. For my money the real voodoo in this box is in the mids, and in particular the way it cuts out the hash and leaves the love. The q is *perfect* for that, if you record in small rooms this unit is a godsend.

People rave about the top, but to my ears it's really quite neutral up there, if your top isn't sweet to begin with this eq won't make it sweet. For the record, Pultec, Sontec, Fearn... those are boxes that sweeten the top in ways I like. Anyway, the Hammer is a bit narrow to do any real augmenting of the top with it. A db or two can be quite nice though, unobtrusive. Maybe my expectations were high based on all the praise in these waters, which leads me to believe the average joe doesn't have much exposure to eq's that are truly amazing on top.

Regardless, I *love* the 100hz band for fattening up a snare too, it can be pretty juicy. The lows are a bit loose in general on this box, but a lot of times loose is exactly what I want, especially on drums. I like thick, dark, tubby 70's tapey drums, the Hammer is really useful for getting that sound. It won't make your ass end massive or beefy, but precious few boxes do that anyway.

What's really cool about the Hammer is that it doesn't really make things sound better, but it makes them behave better. By that I mean you don't run signal thru it and have your eyes pop open at the changes, it's subtle bordering on transparent. But tracks have more life for the journey and this is most eveident when you go to mix, the tubes add an organic quality that's pretty special.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 7th March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➑️
But tracks have more life for the journey and this is most eveident when you go to mix, the tubes add an organic quality that's pretty special.
Agreed--since I've gotten a Hammer, almost every overdub runs through it, even if I end up doing some eq with API's or something else as well. A db here and there, sometimes just for the hpf or lpf. I really feel that the end result is a cumulative organic "specialness" that I didn't have before.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wish I had a dollar for every glowing review I've read on Gearslutz about the Hammer. Then I could afford to buy one. Maybe two.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So if I were interested in and eq for my personal singer/songwriter studio, for mostly acoustic guitar and vocal this EQ would be as good of a choice as any other 2 channel eq ??
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I would say it would be the better choice than MANY higher end eq's.
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I could use one more. Currently, I use it to add some "air" to vocals as well as remove some harshniss. So its removal charactistic in the mids is as important as what is can add.

It is one of those eqs that should come in a 4 channels version IMHO.

It is a MUST HAVE eq. I would not want it as my only eq. I love the em-peqs. I would not want to be without either.

But the hammer is an all time winner of a unit.

When you consider that it costs $5000 to have two channels of a tube tech cl1b, in terms of what this two channel eq can do for you, it is an amazing value.
Old 10th March 2010 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
the HAMMER is a awesome EQ!
i use it on two buss, but it will get patch into a variety of places when need.
i tend to use the EM-PEQ's for adding weight, but for tightening the bottom to adding air on top, the HAMMER is a amazing EQ.

you can read some of my thoughts here.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...-new-post.html
Old 10th March 2010 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➑️
For my money the real voodoo in this box is in the mids, and in particular the way it cuts out the hash and leaves the love. The q is *perfect* for that, if you record in small rooms this unit is a godsend.
Yes, and at first I was a little taken aback by 3 of the midrange selections being 1.2, 1.6 and 2k but even though they are kind of a close cluster of ranges they all prove extremely useful in cutting scenarios. Also, it seems all of them have a pretty different Q width to them. Either way it's a real easy place to reach to clean that stuff up easily without it affecting the overall tone and delivery.

There is some top end magic though... heh

War
πŸ“ Reply