The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
neve 1073 dpa/dpd
Old 29th October 2005
  #1
Registered User
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
neve 1073 dpa/dpd

Any more recent comments/experiences/ab test results re Neve 1073 dpa or dpd?

Standing by for the love...
Old 29th October 2005
  #2
Gear Guru
 
thethrillfactor's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTrip
Any more recent comments/experiences/ab test results re Neve 1073 dpa or dpd?

Standing by for the love...

One word.

Dissapointment.

Doesn't sound like the AMS 1073 reissue.

I would pass personally.
Old 30th October 2005
  #3
Registered User
 
Donny's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Interesting..

I found they sounded pretty similar in my tests....
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Guru
 
thethrillfactor's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Interesting..

I found they sounded pretty similar in my tests....
Its grainier sounding than the reissue.

Also its built differently.

Different,cheaper parts for what its worth.

But if you dig it that's what really counts right?
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Its grainier sounding than the reissue.

Also its built differently.

Different,cheaper parts for what its worth.

But if you dig it that's what really counts right?

Hold on, Mister.

Ours show the SAME parts. What are YOU talking about.

Sound is the same too.

What ho???????. . . .what in the world are you talking about? --and I mean be specific.
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #6
Gear Guru
 
thethrillfactor's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush
Hold on, Mister.

Ours show the SAME parts. What are YOU talking about.

Sound is the same too.

What ho???????. . . .what in the world are you talking about? --and I mean be specific.
Its built on PCB board for one(I believe in China) which the reissues aren't.

It doesn't have the original Phillip caps(a big contributor to the sound) instead it uses electrolytics.

No transformer.

The output card looks slightly different also.

If you can't hear the grain than you can't hear it what can i say.

When i tested it out recently i wasn't the only one that heard it.

It was 3 of us and we all looked at each other like what?

There is a reason these things sell cheaper than the reissues.

Its a nice mic pre don't get me wrong.

But if someone is expecting the same sound of the reissue 1073 with an AMS powered rack then they will be dissapointed
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Addict
 
nbrecording's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Hi InsideTrip,

I'm not dissapointed with my 1073 DPA, at all. I love it!
It has an incredible solid bottom end!!
I would say though that I thought it took a few weeks to be fully "run in".
There is a transformer on the mic input but the line input is just balanced.
Transformer on the output.
Try and listen to a "working" model if ya can, not one right outta the box.
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #8
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
I am confused. Is it this that's being discussed as the cheaper PCB version?

http://www.ams-neve.com/images/products/1073dpd_big.jpg

Paul Blenn
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #9
Gear Addict
 
nbrecording's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenn
I am confused. Is it this that's being discussed as the cheaper PCB version?

http://www.ams-neve.com/images/products/1073dpd_big.jpg

Paul Blenn

Yes.
That's the DPD version with the A/D convertor.
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #10
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrecording
Yes.
That's the DPD version with the A/D convertor.
Cheers. nbrecording. I was curious as to wether thats the unit thrill factor is saying is a dissapointment? It doesn't seem so but I am confused as to what other 1073 DPD or DPA exists. Thrill factor seems to be talking about a different unit. Hence my confusion!

Cheers!

Paul Blenn
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #11
Registered User
 
Donny's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Grainy is not a word i would attribute to my findings...I did a shoot out between the DPA and AMS reissue and found them to be very close. I did not know about the parts being dissimilar.....
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
scott petito's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
the dpd sounds great.... and better than the last pair of old 1073's we used...in fact it makes my great river sound grainy.....but now I have the wunder pa4 coming....

cheers
SP
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Meriphew's Avatar
 
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott petito
but now I have the wunder pa4 coming....
I've had my eyes on the 1073 DPA since it was announced. It sounded like a great idea, as I don't need/use the EQ on a regular 1073. They're pricing on the DPA seems steep though, considering you can buy 4 channels of API/Wunder for less than 2 channels of the Neve, especially if the DPA's sound is not true to a standard 1073.
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Its built on PCB board for one(I believe in China) which the reissues aren't.

It doesn't have the original Phillip caps(a big contributor to the sound) instead it uses electrolytics.

No transformer.

The output card looks slightly different also.

If you can't hear the grain than you can't hear it what can i say.

When i tested it out recently i wasn't the only one that heard it.

It was 3 of us and we all looked at each other like what?

There is a reason these things sell cheaper than the reissues.

Its a nice mic pre don't get me wrong.

But if someone is expecting the same sound of the reissue 1073 with an AMS powered rack then they will be dissapointed


Well, of course, you're wrong all around!

The give away that you are talking about some other box is the small detail of the transformer. The one you looked at had no transformer??

What box did YOU evaluate? Certainly not the DPA or DPD.


Nothing about anything there is made in China and ours has the same layout and
parts as the re-issue 1073. I'm looking at them now.

Why are you confused?
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sound of the mic amp in Neve DPA and DPD is the same as in the re-issue 1073.

I'm listening to it now---switching between the two. . .


What Ho???
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #16
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
i got the DPD because of the clock and converters thrown in for such a bargain. Definitely worth the extra couple hundred. I gotta say, I'm happy with it...never compared it to an original or a re issue 1073, but it works well for me. I track a lot through it...vocals, keyboards, GTRs, bass, drums, and it always works for me. It is steep on the price though if you don't need the clock and converters.
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #17
Gear Guru
 
thethrillfactor's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush
Well, of course, you're wrong all around!
Thanks for clearing it up i feel enlightened already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush

The give away that you are talking about some other box is the small detail of the transformer. The one you looked at had no transformer??
According to their specs its an electronically balanced input satge instead of a transformer.

And if you've noticed they've pulled their specs for both the DPA and DPD off the website.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush
What box did YOU evaluate? Certainly not the DPA or DPD.
It was the DPD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush
Nothing about anything there is made in China and ours has the same layout and
parts as the re-issue 1073. I'm looking at them now.
Is your reissue layed out on a PCB board?

Does it have Phillip caps or electrolytics?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush
Why are you confused?
I am not.

I know what i heard and saw.

Again if you can't hear it on your system and you are happy with your purchase than so be it.


But in my own opinion i can't recommend it as a direct replacement for the 1073 reissue.
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
For ThrillFactor

I was under the assumption that you had looked inside the unit you demoed.

Sir,
It's totally true that the line input is electronically balanced. Circuitry is from the 88R on line input.

Mic in--genuine transformer--iron is actually there --visible
line out--genuine transformer--iron is there and visible

Don't say I can't hear it--that is not the problem.

YOu claim all these things above and NONE are true--you OBVIOUSLY did not inspect the unit inside, yet you CLAIM it's a Chiney-boy circuit board. Outlandishly false.

The reason I'm busting you is that your original post sounded authoritative, but ends up to be vitally and obviously wrong. You did not inspect the unit with your eyes, yet you render judgement as if you had examined it on a tech bench. Totally unacceptable! If the problem is that you cannot afford the equipment, don't dis it and don't make up something about it being Chinese.



Professionals ONLY need apply.
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #19
Gear Guru
 
thethrillfactor's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush


Professionals ONLY need apply.
This is what transpired:

I freelance at a studio here in the city that has one of the best monitoring systems anywhere(compared to some of the best mastering studios).

The preamp alone costs $25K.

Its impedance is matched perfectly to the SSL.


Its where i go to tests gear out because i hear minute differences that i can't hear in my own place.

Also the owner has one of the best collection of upkept vintage gear.


The client brought down his new DPD unit to track vocals and sax because it what he uses in his studio.

I decided since it was here i could compare it directly with the reissues that are in the studio for fun.

When i turned the thing it sounded different than the AMS reissues that are in the studio.

I tried it at different gains and it was different.

The client heard the difference and he is almost deaf.

I thought it was me so i asked the owner of the studio who is an electronic and sonic anal nut what he thought and he heard it right away.

The word he used is that it sounds "chippy".

I agree especially in the hi's.

The 1073 reissues sound more open and fuller.

We opened it up.

Its not the same.

Its on a PCB board.

Is the thing really designed in China?

That was a guess on my part.

I know i didn't see a transformer.

We looked at the caps because in recapping Neve's(which he's done extensively) we both agree that the original caps sound best... they are different.

All i know the next day the client sold it and got his money back.


If you want to believe me or not so be it.


Again i have no reason to BS or lie.


I don't sell gear for a living and i don't design any either.


I know what i heard.


Its just my opinion.
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #20
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
Thrillfactor. Could you post a link to a pic of each of the two units you tested. The reason I ask is that I am the one who is totally confused. I thought the only DPD 1072 ams neve do is this one :- http://www.ams-neve.com/images/products/1073dpd_big.jpg

Could you, for my own sanity, please post a link to a pic of the unit your friend's studio has and one for the client's version.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul Blenn
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #21
Registered User
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
neve et al

THRILL FACTOR
Sounds like a strait-up story.

PLUSH
What about this unit being built around a PCB board? And why would Neve pull specs of the 1073 dpa/dpd off their site?

BLENN
The 1073 dpa/dpd is the latest in the 1073 line for neve. Your other choices are original module taken out of Neve boards and sold off. Or, reissues, made by Neve, currently avail. on their site – click β€˜outboard’. Oh yea, I guess there is one more, and that’s the reality and myth of what the ear hears, subjectively speaking.
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #22
Gear Guru
 
thethrillfactor's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Plush was right about the transformers in the DPD

I was wrong about the transformer not being there.

I checked with the studio owner and he said that the transformers were there.

I couldn't see the transformer because of the layout inside.

It was 2 PCB boards right next to each other.

XLR's are attached to one of them.

Not the standard layout like in the modules.

My apologies Plush and AMS-Neve for stating false info.


I do stand by opinion of the sound though.

Again its always best to try it yourself.
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #23
Gear Guru
 
thethrillfactor's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenn
Thrillfactor. Could you post a link to a pic of each of the two units you tested. The reason I ask is that I am the one who is totally confused. I thought the only DPD 1072 ams neve do is this one :- http://www.ams-neve.com/images/products/1073dpd_big.jpg

Could you, for my own sanity, please post a link to a pic of the unit your friend's studio has and one for the client's version.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul Blenn

Hi PB,


The guy sold his 1073 DPD already.

I don't have one personally but if i come across another i will gladly post the guts.
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #24
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 20 years
Hi All,

A word for Thrillfactor and everyone.

Phillips (now BC) caps ARE electrolytics. I haven't looked at one but I'd be surprised if Robin did not use BC caps in the circuit, but given what I'm about to tell you I would understand why.

The 1073 dpa and dpd are layed out somewhat differently than a standard 1073. They have to be. Robin was thinking ahead. He layed out the dpa/dpd circuit boards so that if someone ordered them, he could make a new face plate, turn them verticle and use them in the 88R Remote Mic Pre rack.

That's right folks: Remote controlled 1073 mic pre's.

SAE-Neve can thank me later for the free advertising. heh tutt fuuck

Jeff
Old 30th October 2005 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
scott petito's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
all I know is mine sound really good....and my clients love it...and they don't even know what it is they are lovin...and thats the way it should be....and the A/d is nearly as good as my AD16x and thats really good and a total bargain

cheers
SP
Old 31st October 2005 | Show parent
  #26
Gear Addict
 
nbrecording's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goodman



The 1073 dpa and dpd are layed out somewhat differently than a standard 1073. They have to be. Robin was thinking ahead. He layed out the dpa/dpd circuit boards so that if someone ordered them, he could make a new face plate, turn them verticle and use them in the 88R Remote Mic Pre rack.

That's right folks: Remote controlled 1073 mic pre's.



Jeff
Perhaps we can expect a 1081 and Air Montserrat DPA/DPD?
Old 31st October 2005 | Show parent
  #27
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush
I was under the assumption that you had looked inside the unit you demoed.


YOu claim all these things above and NONE are true--you OBVIOUSLY did not inspect the unit inside, yet you CLAIM it's a Chiney-boy circuit board. Outlandishly false.

The reason I'm busting you is that your original post sounded authoritative, but ends up to be vitally and obviously wrong. You did not inspect the unit with your eyes, yet you render judgement as if you had examined it on a tech bench. Totally unacceptable! If the problem is that you cannot afford the equipment, don't dis it and don't make up something about it being Chinese.



Professionals ONLY need apply.


Damn son, cool out with the attitude. We could do without all the insults.
Old 1st November 2005 | Show parent
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
RickRock-=--down low. . .

I stand by my commentary and my attitude towards the defamatory and inaccurate statements offered previously.

Good Day
Old 1st November 2005 | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Actually I wasn't overly impressed by AMS-Neve 1073 DPD, too.
Well, it's good mic pre, but to my ears nothing so special to throw money for.
I sold it, too.
Good news is that I sold it for same price I pay, what is not always the case.
In same time I am amazed with DW Fearn and Pendulum pres. Really amazed, but it can be very subjective issue.

GYang
Old 1st November 2005 | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I love my dpd. The bottom is thick, the highs are nice and smooth. I'd highly recommend it.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 8 views: 12978
Avatar for audiothings
audiothings 20th April 2006
replies: 84 views: 22032
Avatar for Deleted d78e603
Deleted d78e603 12th March 2015
replies: 42 views: 13461
Avatar for salomonander
salomonander 5th March 2008
replies: 541 views: 60398
Avatar for Paul_G
Paul_G 26th October 2022
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump