Quantcast
Help me spend some money - mic or convertors? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me spend some money - mic or convertors?
Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Help me spend some money - mic or convertors?

Hi all-

So I've just come into a little bit of money and would like to do a small ($1000-2000) update to my home project studio.

The 2 things that have been coming to mind are a better set of stereo AD convertors to work with my MOTU 2408MKII or a big upgrade on my mic collection.

Thus far I've got a TLM103, a C1, MC012's (sound room matched pair) and 1 x SM57 for mics. I recently got a RNP as well as a GR MP2NV, so I think the micpre side of things is covered fairly well and the mic side might be slightly lacking.

I'm tracking to Logic 6.0 right now (on a dual800 G4) and I think one way to signifigantly improve the sound would be to upgrade the AD convertors. I was thinking the 2 channel Lucid 9624 AD might be the way to go and then maybe use the extra money to maybe get an SM7, which I keep hearing good things about.

But then my inner gear***** says I should spend a large lump sum on a killer vocal mic, perhaps a Soundelux iFet7 or a U195. My voice seems a little thin using my TLM103 (it's a fairly mid-rangy voice), so I was thinking a mic with a little umph and roundness might help. This is of course hugely subjective, but opinions are always nice.

I know this is all kind of vague and I'll get some improvement from either move, but I figured I'd check in and see if one move seemed to particularly sound appealing.

Any feedback on my ranting is much appreciated.

TIA -

Lee
Old 1st June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
so ya have like $2k? I would sell the tlm103 and call it $2.5k. For that I would buy a mic that suits your voice and a AD box. Do a little testing and find a mic you like for your voice and buy that. If there is money left over buy some better converters, then if you find some more cash, buy great monitors... then... a sluts needs are never filled. Buy both.
Frost
Old 5th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Converters.
Old 5th June 2003
Dot
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree with Frost about selling your 103 if it doesn't fit your voice. I sold my 103 have have not missed it for a sec. I'd definitely go with the Lucid A/D - and you'd still have enough left over for something like a Soundelux U195 - which runs about $1100. Nice, fat-sounding mic. Look into the Royer 121 ribbon, too, for about the same money,

Screw either or. Get both - a mic and converters. : )
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
both indeed...

My inner gear slut is winning the battle inside me thinks and I'm thinking that I can get the Lucid AD convertors AND the U195 for around 2grand. I'll buy from Fletcher and save the sales tax as well.

And I just started reading up on the Dangerous 2 Bus stuff as well which sounds like God's gift to the home DAW setup. 2 Grand may not cut it after all...

Bwuhahahahahaha.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Lee
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The U195 has more top than a TLM103, even in the fat mode...especially around the 12k range. More high end frequencies don't make this any less of a great microphone, but it may not be the right microphone for your voice. And if the TLM103 has too much top, then the U195 is going to be far too bright IMO. The TLM103 has a rise (I think above 4k) that looks like a plateu, the U195 has a peak that centers around 8-14k. If you have a brighter voice, I would combine the SM7 with your NV, that pretty much takes care of any problems with the high end harshness. The NV will give you plenty of clean gain while keeping the highs solid.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
SM7 huh?

Nathan, you may possess the ability to read minds.

I've been reading about the SM7 for some time now and it does sound like a mic I'd be into from everything I've been reading (great vocal mic, killer on cabnits, etc...).

My voice and the TLM103 isn't neccessarily too toppy... The 103 is a little on the flat side I think (read, slightly sterile and imparting little to no character). I like the way it's cutting through a mix with my voice, but there's no "air" to speak of (which my C1 seems to impart in it's own way) and the tlm103 isn't what I would personally call, warm. It strikes me as sort of clinically accurate. But that's my ears.

I was thinking maybe the u195 might be a little more on the round side of things and impart more warmth and air to my voice... Maybe not though.

Since I'm getting into the more $$$ end of mics (for me at least I should really find a way, besides Guitar Center and their enviornment, to check some of these mics out trough my pres and make an informed decision.

Thanks for all the feedback all. Much appreciated.
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by infiniteposse

I've been reading about the SM7 for some time now and it does sound like a mic I'd be into from everything I've been reading (great vocal mic, killer on cabnits, etc...).

It is a great mic, I have found it to be interchangeable in most cases where an SM-57 goes, but just plain sounds better in general IMO. But everything is subjective.

Quote:

My voice and the TLM103 isn't neccessarily too toppy... The 103 is a little on the flat side I think (read, slightly sterile and imparting little to no character).

I think we are using the same terminology to describe different things. When I think 'flat', I think in terms of frequency response. As in no or very little boosts or cuts from the low frequencies to the high frequencies. But I understand what you mean, the TLM103 can be a little plain sounding, sort of boring at times. But you mentioned that your voice sounds thin on the TLM103. I'm taking thin to mean very little low end. The TLM103 has a hell of a proximity effect. Getting 5-6" away from the mic with a pop filter should yield a pretty decent amount of boost in the low mids (or high-lows as it were).

Quote:

I like the way it's cutting through a mix with my voice, but there's no "air" to speak of (which my C1 seems to impart in it's own way) and the tlm103 isn't what I would personally call, warm.
I agree with you that the TLM103 can sound a little too clean and boring for some applications. An airy or brighter quality in a mic and "warmth" to me are not mutually exclusive. 'Warm' can be a very amiguous word to define. Like defining "art" or "love", it means different specific things to different people, even though we all have a general schema of these concepts.

Quote:
I was thinking maybe the u195 might be a little more on the round side of things and impart more warmth and air to my voice...

When you say 'round' and 'air' do you mean you want more low end and more high frequencies simultaneously? In comparison to the TLM103, the U195 will have less proximity effect, more of a peak around 12k (the "air frequencies), and more character, which many people view as "warmth". Adjectives suck don't they?

Quote:

Since I'm getting into the more $$$ end of mics (for me at least I should really find a way, besides Guitar Center and their enviornment, to check some of these mics out trough my pres and make an informed decision.

I completely agree. If you hear it and hate it and it doesn't fit the need, there is no need to keep the piece of gear.

Quote:
I try to help when I can....
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: SM7 huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by infiniteposse

My voice and the TLM103 isn't neccessarily too toppy... The 103 is a little on the flat side I think (read, slightly sterile and imparting little to no character). I like the way it's cutting through a mix with my voice, but there's no "air" to speak of (which my C1 seems to impart in it's own way) and the tlm103 isn't what I would personally call, warm. It strikes me as sort of clinically accurate. But that's my ears.

I was thinking maybe the u195 might be a little more on the round side of things and impart more warmth and air to my voice... Maybe not though.

Rent a couple of mics and see what works.

It sounds like you should be looking more at the Elux251 or E47.

If you go with an SM7, than buy a nice EQ with it(maybe the little Speck EQ). More often than not you will be EQing to make it work.
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: SM7 huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Rent a couple of mics and see what works.

It sounds like you should be looking more at the Elux251 or E47.

If you go with an SM7, than buy a nice EQ with it(maybe the little Speck EQ). More often than not you will be EQing to make it work.
ain't that the truth but it definitly has that 'testicular' deep type tone to it
πŸ“ Reply