The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mojave MA-200 .. too bright for female vocalists??..
Old 15th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston ➡️
I'll volunteer my MA-200 to a local shootout. How's that?

To someone I know and trust or who'll put down a deposit.
lol...Lynn, that is very professional and considerate of you; but you are the mic shootout King! I would have thought you would be the one asking Yfoiler to send you his "Royer" MA-200 for a test at 3D?
However, I understand that if the result of an A/B test were anything other than a majority response of "very similar", that could be an issue for you professionally..I get that.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti ➡️
lol...Lynn, that is very professional and considerate of you; but you are the mic shootout King! I would have thought you would be the one asking Yfoiler to send you his "Royer" MA-200 for a test at 3D?
However, I understand that if the result of an A/B test were anything other than a majority response of "very similar", that could be an issue for you professionally..I get that.
Those shootouts take time. I do them when I'm interested in the results. That's always my primary incentive. In this case I really don't care. Not trying to be mean, just honest. Does the mic I don't have sound different from the mic I do have? How will that impact my life or recordings?

I have an MA-200 and I know what it sounds like. For some things it's great.

Since I don't make gear or sell anything, I have very little risk and no "exposure" when people offer opinions about the results. It wouldn't make a difference to me what people heard. I just encourage people to listen instead of reading.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston ➡️
Those shootouts take time. I do them when I'm interested in the results. That's always my primary incentive. In this case I really don't care. Not trying to be mean, just honest. Does the mic I don't have sound different from the mic I do have? How will that impact my life or recordings?

I have an MA-200 and I know what it sounds like. For some things it's great.

Since I don't make gear or sell anything, I have very little risk and no "exposure" when people offer opinions about the results. It wouldn't make a difference to me what people heard. I just encourage people to listen instead of reading.
Thanks Lynn, I appreciate the response.
By the way, I used to own 3 of your comparison CD's, I still have one, and your tests are presented very fairly and accuaratly; and very helpful toward some of my gear purchase decisions.
Best regards.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Lynn, with all due respect I can understand your stance completely. However, I am in the position of being a relative "newbie" to the Mojave MA-200. I bought the one I have, and only later found out I have the "different animal". I hope it's not difficult for you to see the reasons for my deep curiosity. Thanks for your offer of your MA200. However, I am in San Diego, so we are "not too local".... I'm sure I'll run across one locally some day.
Thanks for all your input.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks Lynn, I appreciate the response.
By the way, I used to own 3 of your comparison CD's, I still have one, and your tests are presented very fairly and accuaratly; and very helpful toward some of my gear purchase decisions.
Best regards.
Glad they helped. Others may do shootouts quickly. I try to make things as accurate and informative as possible and that takes time. On the last Preamps in Paradise DVD, it took a week in the studio just for the recording. Add about 3 months of prep work on the front end and another week of editing and a month or two of artwork and production and we're talking about a six month endeavor.

Granted that's not two mics, but if I did it I'd end up adding a U67 and then a U87 and then....

I already have four things here I'm reviewing/comparing so I have to be careful with what I take on. Comparing mics is fascinating to me but it doesn't pay the bills.
Old 12th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey guys I am confused. I borrowed a Mojave MA-200 to compare against a Peluso 2247 and Blueberry with different mic pres and it was the darkest and hefty. Check out post #16

Great River, Chandler LTD1, Avedis MA5, TG2 comparison

Is this what you guys call bright? No EQ btw except for low cut

I read earlier here:
Quote:
he Mojave MA-200 was the only choice for vocals. It was shot out against a good selection of the vintage regulars (C12, M249, U67...) and the Mojave stood out above the rest. It was articulate and had an outstanding presence. It will now always be one of the first mics I go for."
Davey Rieley
In my samples I don't here articulate though.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
illacov,
Would you be willing to share the specific mods you did to the Mojave MA-200 to fix the sibilance issue and make it more open sounding? I am finding it too sibilant for most vocal purposes, but it's forward presence can be useful for some vocalists. Rather than sell it, I'd like to optimize/fix it. Can you help?
Thanks. FS
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion Head ➡️
illacov,
Would you be willing to share the specific mods you did to the Mojave MA-200 to fix the sibilance issue and make it more open sounding? I am finding it too sibilant for most vocal purposes, but it's forward presence can be useful for some vocalists. Rather than sell it, I'd like to optimize/fix it. Can you help?
Thanks. FS
I'll ask Jim to pop in and share what we did. It was a one time deal so far.

We have optimized the 5840 tube circuit quite a bit over the last couple of years and found some really cool spots to beef up the circuit which in turn rounds the highs out and smooths them.

I'll ask him to join the thread and share his findings

Peace
Illumination
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
A marketing plan was proposed...
I swear that pic looks exactly like Larry Villella, is that him?
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by activexjava ➡️
Greetings all ...
I know the Mojave Audio MA-200 works well for male vocals .. and I heard samples from slau mic shootouts .. I liked the MA-200 a lot .. felt it had a good tonal balance that I liked .. preferred it to the Rode K2 .. in the same ball park ..

don't know how this mic will work on female vocals??.. is it too bright such that I will be suffering from sibilance and clipping , due to the nature of the female voice ??... I tried before the Audio Technica 4033 on female vocals .. and the recording was clipping a lot .. unless you wanna record at low gain to prevent that .. humm .. I don't have either a compressor patched to my PreAmp ... but I have a decent PreAmp : Chandlet TG-2 ..

I want to buy that Mic .. it will be my first expensive mic (to my budget ).. so I am trying to be a bit careful to be able to record both male and female vocals without trouble ...

your comments are appreciated ..
I have used this mic on one recording session. It was brittle on acoustic guitar in the manner i was using it. Actually pretty good on bass amp. Pretty good on guitar amp too. It worked on voice, i wasn't thrilled but it was clear. Personally, i would look around a bit, i just didn't love it, it worked fine but i was wanting something more, or something else. To be fair it was running through a Langevin preamp of some kind, and at some point in the chain apparently was a barely functioning Eurodesk, plus converters were the horribly brittle digi 002, so i really doubt if the Mojave was the issue. Perhaps the fact that it sounded good at all should say something about the quality of the mic. Cheapo cables were used also, and a moron engineer. That being said, if it were used along with quality gear and good converters i could see it being a fine mic. The big disappointment was acoustic guitar. Definitely better than a newer Telefunken.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multicore ➡️
I swear that pic looks exactly like Larry Villella, is that him?
No, it's not. This is me.

Larry V / ADK)))
Attached Thumbnails
Mojave MA-200 .. too bright for female vocalists??..-larry-v-keys.jpg  
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yfoiler ➡️
With ALL you Mojave MA-200 experts out there how come nobody ever...I mean EVER mentions the early MA-200's with the tapered body and different capsule that "Dave" tuned, versus the later cylindrical bodied version that is prevalent now?

Any MA-200 experts care to elaborate?

Thanks....
(Tapered body MA-200 owner )
...I have both a prototype (tapered body) MA-200 with ADK body/headbasket and 5-micron capsule, and I also have a modded MXL 2001, built to the exact specs of Dave Royer's original mod article (with a similar spec Cinemag tranny substituted for the Jensen tranny Royer recommended)...the two mics I have sound very little alike...the modded 2001 is noticeably darker and almost ribbon-like in it's tone...the tapered-body version sounds brighter and more detailed on the top-end...both of these variations are very useable and deserving of a slot in my mic locker...

...I have not had the opportunity to use the current retail version of the MA-200, but I'm hoping to demo an MA-201 FET soon...
Attached Thumbnails
Mojave MA-200 .. too bright for female vocalists??..-ma200.05.jpg   Mojave MA-200 .. too bright for female vocalists??..-ma200proro.02.jpg   Mojave MA-200 .. too bright for female vocalists??..-ma200proto.03.jpg  
📝 Reply