The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting an Ampex MM1200 16 Track 2". Setup help???
Old 3rd February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krid ➑️
7000 $

James, you should SO spend that money on a console instead. Add the Clasp later if you must. But at least wait until you have the machine and your new studio up before deciding.

🎧 15 years
I think 7K $ was the intro price, now it's 9K $ (if I am not wrong).

A good thread about clasp :
https://gearspace.com/board/high-end...-daw-sync.html

🎧 15 years
Everybody's anti CLASP and pro console. Maybe because of the world I work in and basically grew up as a producer working in (PT), even though I'm 45 and have been making records since I was a kid, countless on tape, I've only really been producing as a full-time career for the past 8 years. So prior to that I worked a lot on tape but as a musician and artist not engineer/producer/studio owner. So I gotta disagree with everyone who thinks an old console before CLASP. To me CLASP is first because it's how I want to work. I want to edit and mix for now in PT. Maybe down the line I would want to stay on tape only but I don't really have any attachment to that concept now. What I want is to go to work and have a fast, flawless way to get the analog sound in the digital realm. I know CLASP is a bit pricey but for me it's worth it and will pay for itself on the first record and the rest is gravy. Nobody on here disagreeing with my decision to go with CLASP knows me personally, if you knew what makes me tick and how I think and work you may rethink your prognosis.

Anyway, everyone has their opinion and I appreciate everyone taking the time to try and help me, Lord knows I need it. Thanks guys.
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo ➑️
Well after much debate and thought over things I've decided to go with the Clasp. Knowing myself and the way I think and work it's the only real way this transition will work for me. I'm ordering it in the morning.

Go James!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➑️

Go James!
Agreed!
Old 4th February 2010 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall ➑️

I think you mean closer to 10K... what I have heard anyhow
so.... you walk in everywhere and pay retail always?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Greedy ➑️
so.... you walk in everywhere and pay retail always?
I was wondering if anyone was gonna say that.

🎧 15 years
from what I see, you can not monitor the tape path with CLASP, is this correct ??
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
And although Endless Analog apparently have several very high profile clients already, they (EA) could probably do a lot worse than selling the CLASP system to a high profile contributor/moderator of a forum like GS.

I know I for one am very anxious to hear how you find working with the CLASP both initially and over a period of time.

The best of luch and 'Go James'!

Last edited by Mike O; 4th February 2010 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: grammar

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco ➑️
from what I see, you can not monitor the tape path with CLASP, is this correct ??
no. you can set it to listen through tape to judge how your hittin'... for probably about as long as you'd do that otherwise.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Quote:
no. you can set it to listen through tape to judge how your hittin'... for probably about as long as you'd do that otherwise.
That is actually perfect for what James is doing with the tape machine. So I think he has it right. thumbsup

He can always hook up a cheap console to the machine later just to play with and have some fun in his spare time. And then expand on that option if he likes it.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey Eric,in your experience does the clasp affect the audio signal in any way?
is it an actual digital process when the audio hits it?
I kept thinking the process was completely transparent.
the reason i ask is I was having a convo with someone who demoed it and claimed he heard changes in the hi's coming off the clasp .
i'm very interested in demoing it soon

🎧 15 years
Quote:
got it,the concept is cool....I was confused as to what was actually monitored when dropped in..

Thanx

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➑️
Hey Eric,in your experience does the clasp affect the audio signal in any way?
is it an actual digital process when the audio hits it?
I kept thinking the process was completely transparent.
the reason i ask is I was having a convo with someone who demoed it and claimed he heard changes in the hi's coming off the clasp .
i'm very interested in demoing it soon
My understanding is the simple answer is CLASP does not digitize the analog signal. There isn't an official manual yet that i can refer to. The plug-in you add in your daw deals with time stamping and controlling the transport. It a sophisticated monitor switch in one aspect... when you hit play in pro tools,... the tape machine starts and any (or all_ tracks armed go into record.... the output of your daw is going to clasp... and returning to your monitoring console.... when you punch in in Pro Tools.... that transport date tells CLASP to now switch to the signal of the audio just before it goes into pro tools... so now for that track your hearing input with less latency than any DAW (or even a tape machine... silly as that comparison is) could provide. The other DAW playlists/tracks are going out the daw to CLASP and are being chosen as the source to your monitoring. Come out of record and that track is switched back go the DAW playlist. Hit Stop and that new track is right there. Instantly time stamped to be in sync.... cooler still... you can roll the punch in earlier (like quick punch) because parallel to all we've just read it has been recording off the repro head since w hit play.
Did I make sense?

🎧 15 years
Chris and Amy come to the new studio today and hung for a while and explained the whole concept to all my engineers. Very cool. All bs aside I can't to slam that A800 with my Marshall.heh
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Quote:
hey eric, can you explain to me how they get past the laws of space and time and allow you to monitor off the repro head "in sync" thru PT while tracking?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➑️
hey eric, can you explain to me how they get past the laws of space and time and allow you to monitor off the repro head "in sync" thru PT while tracking?
nothing travels faster than the speed of light.

to listen off repro... it's like any tape machine... meaning nothing is in sync then... you'd tell the drummer to take the cans off and play so as not to be confused.... then adjust your levels... THEN turn CLASP back on for normal operation... or of your on a tape machine only hit sync.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
So you're not listening off tape? You're listening to the sync head, right? Sorry, confused here. I just don't "get it". Why does everyone say you're monitoring off the tape path (repro)?

Not that it's a huge deal. I never listened off the repro head while tracking that I can recall..... heh heh

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➑️
So you're not listening off tape? You're listening to the sync head, right? Sorry, confused here. I just don't "get it". Why does everyone say you're monitoring off the tape path (repro)?

Not that it's a huge deal. I never listened off the repro head while tracking that I can recall..... heh heh
1. hit play you hear the output of pro tools... behind the scenes pro tools is recording off the repro head. your not hearing that.
2. punch in (in pro tools). CLASP switches this tracks monitoring to input.
3. punch out... switches back to your pro tools playlist (still recording off repro behind the scenes.
4. hit stop. Track instantly available (the version that was recorded off pro tools the whole time behind the scenes), time aligned... and in the spot where you punched in and our ... PLUS you can roll the edit in either direction...

in a SPECIAL case scenario you can effectively turn it off form it's normal magic to listen through repro... but DUH... how many times you saw that in the past when you spent ten's of thousands of hours doing it. after a while you have a pretty damn good idea what level to print things. (sheesh)
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Got it. Thx. thumbsup
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
My understanding is the simple answer is CLASP does not digitize the analog signal. There isn't an official manual yet that i can refer to. The plug-in you add in your daw deals with time stamping and controlling the transport. It a sophisticated monitor switch in one aspect... when you hit play in pro tools,... the tape machine starts and any (or all_ tracks armed go into record.... the output of your daw is going to clasp... and returning to your monitoring console.... when you punch in in Pro Tools.... that transport date tells CLASP to now switch to the signal of the audio just before it goes into pro tools... so now for that track your hearing input with less latency than any DAW (or even a tape machine... silly as that comparison is) could provide. The other DAW playlists/tracks are going out the daw to CLASP and are being chosen as the source to your monitoring. Come out of record and that track is switched back go the DAW playlist. Hit Stop and that new track is right there. Instantly time stamped to be in sync.... cooler still... you can roll the punch in earlier (like quick punch) because parallel to all we've just read it has been recording off the repro head since w hit play.
Did I make sense?
thanks bro.

as long as the process is sonically transparent and doesn't touch the audio in any negative way I'm good.
I'd love to see the manual once its available

🎧 20 years
man I can only hope that is not the case. Personally I would hate to see a lot of "CLASP is great" threads simply because someone chose to be a moderator and he got one for cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O ➑️
And although Endless Analog apparently have several very high profile clients already, they (EA) could probably do a lot worse than selling the CLASP system to a high profile contributor/moderator of a forum like GS.

I know I for one am very anxious to hear how you find working with the CLASP both initially and over a period of time.

The best of luch and 'Go James'!

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox ➑️
man I can only hope that is not the case. Personally I would hate to see a lot of "CLASP is great" threads simply because someone chose to be a moderator and he got one for cost
That statement is so out of line Knox. It's a lie and poisonous. First of all you have no idea how much I paid for it, secondly it's none of your business how much anyone pays for anything on this forum (worry about your own bills) and thirdly I take what you wrote as an insult.

🎧 20 years
lighten up my man . . . it was not pointed at you personally but at the statement the other poster made. That some company might give a special deal to a moderator so they would possibly give it special threads in the forums. Man you worry too much about what people think about you. Re-read my post now without being so defensive or worrying about how you may look to others and see it in the light it was intended.

Quote:
That statement is so out of line Knox. It's a lie and poisonous. First of all you have no idea how much I paid for it, secondly it's none of your business how much anyone pays for anything on this forum (worry about your own bills) and thirdly I take what you wrote as an insult.
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
ditto!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox ➑️
lighten up my man . . . it was not pointed at you personally
Right, must have been the pudycat.
Old 5th February 2010 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
You in Cali yet Rob?
Old 5th February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You in Cali yet Rob?
Saturday. heh

Looking forward to some serious fun. I may even have a few beers.

By the way you won't be able to miss me. Be driving my dad's Prius. It looks like this.

Plug-In Home
Old 5th December 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Good luck with tech help - I have a studio FULL of tape machines, It's the worst part. I have spare of EVERY machine so I can keep running while they are taking 2-3 months to get repaired...
πŸ“ Reply