Quantcast
audiomedia DAC1 review - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
audiomedia DAC1 review
Old 22nd May 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
audiomedia DAC1 review

there is a review in the new audiomedia rag this month. something however caught my attention and i want some answers.

it has to deal with stereo imaging and the volume control... and measured 0.6DB variation stated in the article.

a] is this normal?
b] will 0.6DB skew the image too much?
c] is this acceptable for critical listening?
d] can it be "fixed"? [stepped gain pot installed maybe]

im quite close to getting one even though i missed the "deal" from the contest, but this kinda makes me step back for a moment and think about the purchase [i have TOO many $1k+ purchases coming up]
Old 22nd May 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: audiomedia DAC1 review

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
there is a review in the new audiomedia rag this month. something however caught my attention and i want some answers.

it has to deal with stereo imaging and the volume control... and measured 0.6DB variation stated in the article.

a] is this normal?
Yep. For ganged linear pots anyways...

Quote:
b] will 0.6DB skew the image too much?
Define too much. Most mastering guys would like the pot defeatable so they can switch it out of the path and used the stepped attenuator on their mastering desk, which will be recallable and level-matched within .1dB

Quote:
c] is this acceptable for critical listening? [/B]
In so far as any ganged pot is acceptable...

Quote:
d] can it be "fixed"? [stepped gain pot installed maybe] [/B]
If it has a fixed output as well or if the pot can be switched out, you could certainly feed it's output through a stepped attenuator. That's a bit tougher if you need it balanced though...

Quote:
im quite close to getting one even though i missed the "deal" from the contest, but this kinda makes me step back for a moment and think about the purchase [i have TOO many $1k+ purchases coming up] [/B]
It's a reasonable design decision to go with a pot on a piece that costs $800. Those that have more stringent needs usually already have it handled by their reference system. HTH
Old 22nd May 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
i guess im asking is this OKAY? or a problem?

the other main thing is that im seriously considering moving into surround and the DAC1 would obviously fall short.... BUT i cant afford a S3-A surround setup so i am thinking of having the S3-A's for stereo and a different surround setup [a whole wad of $$$ as well, with a level control for it] do i kill two birds with a 7.1 matrix [5.1 for surround + 2 others for stereo feed] and bag getting a DAC1? or do i go with a DAC1 for the S3-A's and then some preamp/amp setup to control the surround?
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well so far it hasn't been a problem for any of the DAC1 users. The DAC1 can be placed in calibrated mode where the volume pot is completely removed from the signal path. As far as surround goes, one of the cool things about the DAC1 is that multiple units are completely sample accurate with each other when fed from the same source, so they do work very well in a surround configuration. Thanks.
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I do some surround work so I have a surround system fed by a Classe ssp25 preamp. I compared its DA converters in stereo vs, the psx, my HEDD, an msb link dac, and art dio, and a meridian 203. I found the internal DAC's kept up with those in the HEDD reasonably well. I liked them both better than the psx (not se). The meridian came in next because it was very enjoyable to listen to but colored the sound a lot. You could get a classe new for $2600 or I often see them used for $1300. This is more than the benchmark but considering it was the only preamp/DA Ive heard that kept up with the HEDD (a remarkable feat IMO) and does surround, it might be worth considering.
Frost
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
How about adding 3xS2A to your 2xS3A? Bad idea? It is strange, since most 5.1 designs has d'appolito as a centre and the rest is "normal" speaker. But I'd like to have killer stereo with "OK" surround. 5xS3A is simply too much money...

Is there any reasonable (unexpensive) product DA+gain+bass management? Having 3xDAC1 looks impractical.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…