Quantcast
UA 2-610 of TC Gold Channel? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UA 2-610 of TC Gold Channel?
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
UA 2-610 of TC Gold Channel?

to be used for vocals and acoustic instruments.
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
oops

It should say Ua 2-610 OR TC Gold Channel?
Old 19th May 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
UA2610 hands down, but there are a whole bunch of other things to consider. Maybe look up a few of the multitude preamp threads that have gone before on this forum...

Old 19th May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Used the gold channel, didn't really care for its feature, soundwise, Vipre dfegad TC Gold all over the place. (Of course, not a good comparison too.) But I would assume that the UA 2-610 is a better mic pre.(haven't heard it tho)
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
My U.A 610 is nothing like the mackies,true it has
character sound and you might be better off with
an nv or daking but I dont have a problem with
head room.If you set gain at -10 and increase level,
you get a much cleaner sound.I am going to get
my hands on an nv in the near future and will A/B
them.There are so many pre's out there I would
try at least a few before buying
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've owned and used a TC Gold Channel for a few years now, and Nathan hit it right on the head -- the preamps sound a bit sterile and a hair brittle. They are not unlike the preamps in my 02R mixer. They are usable, but nothing to write home about. I find it a decently useful A to D and D to A convertor with some good software based comps, eqs and other such tools.

If I had $1500 to spend on a preamp (the going price for the TC at Banjo Center) it wouldn't be the UA either. I'd buy a John Hardy 990 single channel with room for expansion. QUALITY!
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i thought the ua 2-610 was going to kill my hhb classic 80...when i test drove them both.

i still have the hhb classic 80.

Old 20th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Ok, I get the message about the TCD but isn't the 610 like the industry standard?
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
snedley dude--don't ask a question if you're not ready to listen to the responses.

Nathan is VERY knowledgable about gear (see Atlasproaudio.com) and he's describing to you his personal experiences.

YMMV

Buddhaman
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by snedley
Ok, I get the message about the TCD but isn't the 610 like the industry standard?
No, not at all......

A Neve 1073 is an "industry standard" (for certain things), API 512, John Hardy M-1 too , and a few more.....

Amund
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
thanks

I do appreciate the help. I was poised to buy the 2-610 or the TC partly because of the optical output. I just want a top end multi-purpose pre. This is a substantial purchase.I will research more.
Old 21st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Huge thumbs down on the Gold Channel from me.

High tech, lo-fi. As cold and sterile as anything I've ever heard. This comment is from someone who's had both M5000 and System 6000's and really likes a good deal of TC gear.

Avoid the GC like the plague, IMO. How's that for subtle?

Regards,
Brian T
Old 21st May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Anyone tried Old School Audio?
Old 22nd May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I do not know the TC, but for sure there are huge diffecencies: TC is digital as fas as I know and the UA 610 is a pure analogue Class A thing. Great if you like that 70ies sound, maybe a bit oldfashioned, depends on the sound you want. I see a lot of guys here in Switzerland who want this "old" sound in their production. Why not trying an API 3124+ or Millennia HV-3D?
Old 20th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I get the message about the TCD but isn't the 610 like the industry standard?
I think you could say it's "an" industry standard...but there are lots of industry standards. Since it's about as colored as they come, regardless of whether you like it or not I think a safe thing to say would be that it's not a very versatile preamp. It has a very distinct character to it that may not be as well suited to some sources as others. It may be a good choice once you have a few preamps and are looking for one that offers a different sound.

-Duardo
Old 21st September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Langevin DVC

versatile and big bang for buck

sweet on voice and acoustic stuff

next time,
jfg
www.jacklord.us
Old 22nd September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: UA 2-610 of TC Gold Channel?

Quote:
Originally posted by snedley
to be used for vocals and acoustic instruments.
Why are these the only two choices. The 2-610 perhaps for some vocals some of the time. That's about it.

There are plenty of pres in this price range that most would recommend for vocals and acoustic instruments over these two. One I would recommend is the John Hardy M-1 (or M-2). Two channels. Expandable. Great pre.
Old 22nd September 2004
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I tried almost every pre on the market to use with my Brauner KH mic. The UA m610 came in first place. The Brauner has a high output level but i dont have any input headroom problems.
It makes me sound bigger than any other pre.
Walt Rubus
Old 22nd September 2004
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
snedley,

I think you should compare the TC channel to the UA 6176 channel strip and not the 2-610.
All I can say is that the 6176 is in constant use here, great for vocals, acoustic guitar and by far the best preamp for bass that I know, it sees also a lot of use as a drum room/front-of-kick 'nuker'.
The layout with totally independent 610 and 1176 sides and plenty routing possibilities is very well thought out and the build quality is outstanding.
The 1176 compressor section also acts as a second gain stage (when both sections are linked) This is what people have done for ages, basically keeping a 1176 in line even without compression. It gives you HUGE gain reserve. I use it successfully with ribbon mics for example.
The EQ section is a useful addition though not essential, sometimes it's nice to add a little 10k to, say, an acoustic guitar.
The 6176 is ABSOLUTELY NOT mushy or cut-off/limited sounding. It's got lots of character but less color than say a Chandler TG-2 (which I also love, though more for electric guitar and drum OHs/ toms)

By all means try it out and let us know

Andi
Old 22nd September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Agreed... 6176 thumbsup
Old 22nd September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The UA 2-610 was the first high-end pre I bought. Running that to digital was not bad because it gave it color, but looking back, most of my early recordings were dark. For the most part it has enough gain, and for some things the distortion is cool. The EQ is useful and the DI is nice. I've since added an A-designs MP2 (more open but with no EQ), a Vintech 1272 (even more colored than the UA and not that much gain), and just recenlty the GTQ2. Wow, that's the one. It's got the EQ, plus plenty of gain, plus a bit of it's own color/flavor, plus it's high-fi, IMO.

What do you guys think?
Old 24th September 2004
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
looks like theres a nice 2-610 on ebay now for 1500.00
not a bad price
Old 24th September 2004
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I have the m610. The UA 610 sounds a little loose to me, but that sorta in a weird way equates to big IMO. I did try it out against a few other high end pres at the time with a Soundelux IFet7 and the UA 610 won on my voice against the Phoenix DRS-2 and several others.

For vox the pre doesn't matter as much as the humidity in the studio in my opinion. But, it does matter at some point

I've been running my vox through the Chandler TG-2 though at the moment since I'm liking the tighter sound. I'm really considering a Vintech X73i for this application now...

Running a bass pod pro through the UA m610 sounds really good believe it or not.
Old 24th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm loving the 6176 , infact I have a pair. I know some people knock the 610 pre but all pres have their use.
At the moment I'm really digging the TG2 and the LTD-1. Hey it's pre heaven at my place at the moment

Nick
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Aearth,

Where did you get your 6176 from in Sydney? I'm looking for one.

How much did you get them for?

Thanks
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It is true that the 610 does have a significant HF roll off and a lesser LF roll off as well. In my humble opinion it can be used to your advantage when dealing with overly bright source material.
I love the 610 on eletric guitars with tons of highs, "whiney" singers who's voices shatter glass even through an SM7, and thirdly I like them on drum room mics. I would view the 610 as a different flavor that may not be great on every source but is a very handy tool when it is called for. 610 pre's seem to make it on every record I make in one capacity or another. Not the most versatile of mic pre's but certainly very cool.
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you're looking value for money pres + conversion maybe you want to check out the Mindprint DTC or the Grace Designs Lunatec V3. Both are reputed to be 'clean' pres, with decent quality of conversion (for the money).

Please note, these are pointers and not recommendations from me.
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Broken
Hi Aearth,

Where did you get your 6176 from in Sydney? I'm looking for one.

How much did you get them for?

Thanks
Hi mate

Go to Turramurra Music in Sydney ...they'll get you a good deal. As far as price, that changes everytime I speak to a different guy on a any given day.

Nick
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Nick I'll check them out.
Old 26th September 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 2-610 is NOT a high end pre. In sound.

If you have to have something with a tube in it then get a TAB-Funkenwerk preamp.
πŸ“ Reply