Quantcast
Royer SF12 Vs. Royer SF24 Sonic Differences - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Royer SF12 Vs. Royer SF24 Sonic Differences
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Royer SF12 Vs. Royer SF24 Sonic Differences

I was wondering if any user(s) with experience using both these mics (SF12 & 24) could tell me about the sonic differences between the two and if it justifies the price difference in the mics. Thanks.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The manual says that the low end in the SF24 is a bit more focused cause of the extra iron, never had first hand experience but I'd dare to say that the difference in sound is not gonna be huge.
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
My SF-12 gets used all the time, on all kind of sources. I've never felt like I needed any higher output. Even on quieter acoustic instruments, 70dB at the pre is the most I've ever needed, and never have I noticed the noise floor.

Now, the SF-24v looks like a different story. I own a R-122v and going on that, I'm guessing SF-24v must be a the greatest Blumlein recording tool ever.
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have both and, excellent as the SF12 is, the SF24 has a tiny amount more detail.
The fundamental sound is the same, though - the tonality.
On an orchestra, I have captured the best string sound I have ever gotten - just that little extra detail I think of it as the hair on the bow being more audible as such.

I did an outdoor orchestral recording where I needed to be roughly 300 feet from the main microphone and accomplished it without a hitch with the SF24. I think I may have been flirting with hum problems with that much of a cable run from an SF12. Placing a mic pre closer to the main mic was impossible in this case.
Old 17th February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
One reason to buy the 24 is EMI hum threat. I have a sf12 and after sending it off to Royer it came back with stellar brand new innerds. It sounds GREAT but I have to be careful where I take it as it is still a target for EMI hum on quiet sources in the wrong places. You would not have to second guess with the 24 as phantom powered mics are not as likely to have the problem.
This problem bit me once on a paid gig already - it will not get me again.
bummer.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have the sf12 and I love it but its not good for really quiet stuff.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
A Royer SF12 into an AEA RPQ/TRP or NPNG, Crane Song Flamingo, or even pair of Forssell Tech SMP-500's is usually pretty spectacular for me, when I use this microphone for acoustic instruments. Though, the new shizzle is the SF24V, which has magic inside it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
SF24V is pretty good

I haven't use the SF24 but after years of loving the SF12 I decided to drop coin on the tube version. Really excellent stereo mic. Tremendous sound and quite a bit louder than my SF12. Still using the SF12 on near sources (when the SF24V is being used elsewhere).
πŸ“ Reply