Quantcast
PMC TB2/ digidesign RM2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PMC TB2/ digidesign RM2
Old 26th November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
PMC TB2/ digidesign RM2

anyone has any experience with these monitors? how do they compare?
Old 26th November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
no one had listen to them??
Old 6th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Ves,

after carrying monitors around for 3 months,
pmc tb2s-a stayed in my place,
all genelecs and jbls, adams had to leave,
focal twin almost did it, I kept the blue sky system one for surround.

It was hard to decide, until I heard the PMCs.

cheers
david
Old 4th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hiya.
was going to open a new thread, but I found this one, that didn't get much answers yet... so let's try to wake this one up instead !
I've been drooling at the TB2S (active or not) for quite some time now, always had some other gear to invest in first though (pres, mics, comps..)
Until today I felt I could survive with a pair of NS10s (that I will keep)
and pair of mackies that I dislike but still give me an rough idea of what's going on at the low end (won't keep these)
(still using NS10s 80% of the time though)
I was going to take the plunge but I'm also considering other options like Adams S3A, Focal twin 6 and K&H O300's
And since Digi came out with the RM2s (PMC-designed) this is another possible choice !
Especially after reading H.Robjohn's review Digidesign RM2 where he finds them noticeably tighter and detailed than PMC's own TB2s (Bryston powered)
I haven't had the chance to A/B TB2 and RM2 myself yet, but was wondering why would PMC let Digi sell a similar product that's supposably an improved (?) version at almost the same price ??
Here in Europe the quotes are: (in euros for a pair)
RM2: 2600
TB2SIIA: 2500 (new version: 200W / channel)
(Twin6 or S3A: 2500 ; O300: 3800)
RM2s have digital crossover, EQ facilities, both analogue and digital inputs, TB2s have none of these but a 120W Flying Mole amp per channel.
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare PMCs and their Digi siblings in real life ? and what do you think ?
Also, I'm little worried about the digital conversion/crossover inside, sometimes less technology, less components in the path, the better it is, no?

And what about flying mole amplification (pmc tb2sa), is that any good? (I've heard the passives PMCs mostly, which sounded spectacular... with good amps)
Or would that be a better choice to upgrade my actual amp (that I use for NS10s, Hafler P3000) with something like a Bryston, go with the passive PMCs instead, and a quality speaker switch box ?

Thanks in advance for your input !
Old 5th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
quick correction:
Actually the latest PMC (TB2S-AII) don't have the flying mole amps anymore, they've been replaced with PMC's own amps (DS-001) which are 200W/Channel.
Old 10th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
A friend of mine runs TB2's with that Hafler 3000.......he loves it. I'd try it before shopping......
Old 11th January 2010
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Cheers Karloff
Well, I know the Hafler is not bad at all, it works pretty well with my NS10s.
Good dynamics. It's funny how I can misjudge easily the dynamics mixing with the mackies.
On the opposite the 10s+hafler combo tells me right away if something's jumping out of the mix, and let me adjust dynamics quickly and precisely.
At the same time, each time I used NS10s powered by Brystons ... it felt quite a bit tighter to me, with more detail and depth.
This was not at my place though ...
Can't remember if it was old bryston or st or stt..
As I was looking into a clear upgrade and considering stuff like S3As, twin6 and K&H, I was thinking a pair of passive tb2 + bryston would be in the same price range anyway, and even less with a non SST 4B
but these old ones are hard to find in Europe.
In the end I think you're right, I might just keep the hafler and just get a pair of passive tb2s and a switch.
Always will have the possibility to upgrade the amp later if needed.

Kinda out of subject now, but has anyone had problems using a speaker switch box, or is it fine to do that (despite the obvious difference of level I might get when switching - different speaker efficiency)
Old 11th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I'm sure the Bryston gets more out of the 10's, however maybe some of what you were hearing was a better room than yours perhaps? Does make untold more difference. The Hafler in a decent room and you have no excuses for bad mixes I reckon.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Well yeah, my room is decently treated, and big enough, but not a perfect LEDE or RFZ design by any means !
I'm gonna stay with the hafler, until my next trip to Canada (my wife's from there) where I'll try to find an old bryston for cheap, over there they can be had for less than 1000 (cdn $) with a little bit of luck.
If not, I'm shure the hafler will give good enough results
Any experience with speaker switches ? no signal deterioration?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I'm sure some switches are better than others in that regard, but to be honest personally something that seems of decent build in my humble world of reality does not get in the way of doing the do. Others will have to comment on which switches might be superior to others. Using switches has never stopped me mixing.
πŸ“ Reply