Quantcast
I'm hearing music... Out of my preamps?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I'm hearing music... Out of my preamps??
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years

I'm trying to run a stereo bus out of my converters and back into my pre-amps (Great River MP-500NV's). I have cables running from my patch bay Converter outputs, and back into the patch bay pre-amp inputs. The signal comes in fine and sounds fine recorded.

I muted my monitors for a second and noticed I could still really faintly hear the music coming from somewhere in the rack. I put my ear down there and it sounds like it's emanating from the pre-amps. Is this normal, or what the hell have I done?
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Just noticed this might be the wrong forum... See here:

Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I usually prefer music to come out of the preamps... Sometimes donuts and yo yos pop out, but 99% of the time its music.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Me too, but did you read my post?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast ➑️
Me too, but did you read my post?

Dude, you are trying to claim your preamps, without anything else like speakers, are playing back radio freqs? Seriously? A metal box with no ability to generate sound without other equipment?

I think you should look for the sound again...

My wallet plays Round and Round by Rat if the weather is right...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My roland VP-330 vocoder plays music sometimes on the inside of the machine, no speakers in there, just electronics.
I'd like to know as well, can some components create sound?
It sounds a bit like your playing a record (vinyl) but without the amplifier on same for you Beast?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 ➑️
My roland VP-330 vocoder plays music sometimes on the inside of the machine, no speakers in there, just electronics.
I'd like to know as well, can some components create sound?
It sounds a bit like your playing a record (vinyl) but without the amplifier on same for you Beast?
Yeah, exactly! The kick is so loud it makes a sort of "clicking" sound sometimes.

Something without typical "speakers" is generating noise. All of those are turned off and the headphones are unplugged. I'm almost positive it's the pre-amps.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I believe ya
now for someone who is very familiar with the inside of electronic devices to explain what or why.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Here goes my educated guess:

Sound is generated by compression and decompression of air inducted by a vibrating object. An alternate current (like the electrical audio signal circulating through a circuit) will generate variable magnetic fields that will induce certain elements to phisially vibrate (albeit very slightly) thus creating sound. It really isn't that weird. I've heard tube stuff do this a lot, but other equipment will do it too provided the currents inside it are strong enough. Nothing to worry about I don't think.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great Oscar, yes it don't think it's harmful either, any idea on what it might be? or could it be anything? or for example certain IC's or Capacitors easy prone to these vibrations? or metal plates inside? it's just a bit weird when you turn of the monitors and there is still a signal ghosting through the room :p
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
do you have any gear with tubes in it that are near the preamps?

i believe that as some tubes go bad, they can become microphonic...that could explain the noises possibly.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Wierd, tube gear definitely get fishy but solidstate playing music? Im no EE but in 30 years I dont know anyones preamps playing radio stations UNCONNECTED...

So if you just plug the unit in- JUST POWER, ALONE, it plays music?

Im going to ask my tech.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
nono, not radiostations, and it IS connected but Monitors are muted but you can hear the signal that's going through the device playing soft music INSIDE the device.
That's the situation and no tube gear involved.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
nono, not radiostations, and it IS connected but Monitors are muted but you can hear the signal that's going through the device playing soft music INSIDE the device.

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!

Thanks!

I get it now. I though he was claiming to pick up RF via the preamp with nothing connected which wasn't sensible to me!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by haikusoftruth ➑️
OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!

Thanks!

I get it now. I though he was claiming to pick up RF via the preamp with nothing connected which wasn't sensible to me!

So... You didn't read my post.

Quote:

Yes, right on. No tube gear involved in the signal chain either, this is straight from the computer back into the Great Rivers. The music gets a lot quieter if I turn down the input gain.

One of my electrical buddies suggested I take it apart and look at the copper winding on the transformers to see if it's flapping around. That doesn't seem right though, these are 2 identical units that are less than 6 months old. Anybody else have this happen to them with the MP-500NV?
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear
it is happening with monitors turned off ? Not muted, turned off
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's an old joke that goes:

"My producer always has a song in his heart"
"His pace maker picks up radio 1"

Sounds a bit odd to me - try it with no input signal connected to the pre's and the monitors phyically unplugged!

TMY
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The important question is what type of music does your preamp make/write

maybe you could get some of this and produce it well and market it as mechanical music or ''art''
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Could it be a vibrating transformer? I have heard a record player emit sound from the needle without speakers connected.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've heard big amps (mainly reinforcement/PA-orientated amps) do this, I don't think I've ever read a feasible explanation.

Could it be to do with heating and expansion/contraction? Is it possible that as current passes through some elements of the circuit, some components expand and contract very rapidly, causing sound?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Chill out haiku, his response was correct - you obvously misread or misunderstood his first post - he didn't say any old music is coming through... he said "I could still really faintly hear the music coming from somewhere in the rack". The only music he mentioned in his post prior to this was that being sent out of and back into his DAW via the preamps- hence that is the music to which he refers, not random music, radio frequency interference or anything else. I's a small word and easily missed, but the meaning of the whole post is quite clear if read properly.

Absolutely no need for groundless accusations, suppositions, and general abuse of everyone on the thread.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Come on now, you "engineers": Magnetostriction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by haikusoftruth ➑️
Dude, you are trying to claim your preamps, without anything else like speakers, are playing back radio freqs? Seriously? A metal box with no ability to generate sound without other equipment?

I think you should look for the sound again...

My wallet plays Round and Round by Rat if the weather is right...

Actually Great River pre does this, Im hearing it myself, more as you crank it up,comes out of the box.. I was surprised too. I think someone already explained well over here at GS. Not claiming, just telling you.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
yes, I have a ME 1NV and I can hear the signal emanating from within it when I use the DI input - with some sounds it can be quite loud
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhCircle ➑️

There you go!
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Bettermaker

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yes it is possible. I hear my manley vari mu also when I mute the speakers.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I hear kick drum through one of my MA5s (or more or a click)and was a bit worried but remembered reading a post about Great River Pres doing this from a while back.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well!

It can be from VU meters or output transformers I have walked into a booth to help a guitard who had an old valve amp plugged in and switched on, standby off.
Sound was distinctly coming from the amp, I think coming from the output transformer. I looked round the back and the pratt had forgotten to plug the speaker lead in, not very good for the output transformer or tubes that sort of mistake!.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I build a chip amp with LM1875 (one chip integrated poweramp) and it started to resonate audibly with 1k-5k sine input.

Capacitors can resonate audibly and possibly even semiconductors.

Magnetostricion is a phenomena that can cause transformers and coils to resonate as well.

If such a phenomena is going on at a significant level one can assume an effect even on the audio passing by electrically.

/Peter
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So really it can be almost any of the components singing along?
πŸ“ Reply