Quantcast
LA-610 and M149 compability question. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
LA-610 and M149 compability question.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
LA-610 and M149 compability question.

Has anyone worked with these two units together? We all know about superhot output of M149 and that many preams will be distorted with this mic. How about LA-610 mark2?
And also second question about overall sound for this set?

After some suggestion here some months ago I bought SSL Alpha Channel preamp , hot output problem with this preamp was resolved , but I am not happy with sound. It is too clear, harsh and even thin for me. I missed warm tube sound ( I was before with U87 with TL Audio C1) and also airy highs of my M149 Jubilie mic thru SSL Alpha Channell sound metalic too.

Will be LA-610 Mark better improvement from SSL Alpha Channel? And it is enaugh compression section for punchy, airy vocals?

Any other recomenndations for M149 combo Preamp + Compr welcome!

Thanks in advance!
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hi!

I use the M149 + La610 combo a lot. No problems. I usually record acoustic in struments and vocals - so no suoerhot signals. Put the gain knob to -10db and adjust with the level pot. Don't drive the LA610 and its very nice. The compressor is very ok, but i usually prefer FET compressors.

Mostly i use the M149 with a great River pre for vocals and with an API3124 for acoustic instruments. But for the instumenst i prefer the Microtech Gefell M300 with the API. No tracking compression. No channelstrips. If you are looking for a seperated compressor do not forget the LA22. I have 2-1176, daking. phoenix, DBX160SL, Drawmer 1968, RND5042+5043 but i really love the clean and cheap LA22.

I never heard the SSL channel strip.

All the best
Peter
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Hmm. interesting... I received info from official Neumann support team about this question:

M149 max output := +16 dBu!!

LA610 Maximum Microphone Input Level: -8 dBu (2K input Imp. & 15 dB Pad
in)

So, the LA610 is missing 24 dB of headroom, and I would call it unusable
for any high output condenser mi
c.

Generally, I feel that it is very hard to find good preamp/comp combo for this mic :(
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
In the real world, I've not run into any headroom issues with hot tube condensers (and the mk1 LA610). That said, I don't remember loving the sound of that particular combo...I remember the 149 stayed hooked to the Millennia most of the time it was here.
๐Ÿ“ Reply