Quantcast
B&W Matrix 801 AMPLIFIER suggestion?? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
B&W Matrix 801 AMPLIFIER suggestion??
Old 27th April 2010 | Show parent
  #31
PDC
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbakron ➡️
I just checked the website and it seems the highest 2 channel amp is 200 watts per channel. Or am I trippin?? I need 300 watts per channel at 8ohms.
You need much more than that. You also need an amp that will run all day darn near 1 ohm. The 802s have impedence issues. Check the graphs. This is why I am surprised this home speaker has been accepted as a monitor. I would have chosen something a bit more linear in the impedence department.
Old 27th April 2010 | Show parent
  #32
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC ➡️
The 802s have impedence issues. Check the graphs. This is why I am surprised this home speaker has been accepted as a monitor. I would have chosen something a bit more linear in the impedence department.
I do value your opinion, however, this is the type of response that plagues gearslutz. "This is why I am surprised this home speaker has been accepted as a monitor. I would have chosen something a bit more linear in the impedence department."
It has been chosen because they sound good and work for people. Im not saying you dont know what you are talking about, because you probably do, I just not a fan of these type of statements.

Anyways, thats all ill say on that subject. Any other amps that people found to power these guys in an economical way?
Old 27th April 2010 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Deuce 225's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Monitors....

We have B&W 805's and a Levinson 334, we think it's a pretty good monitoring setup. If I were doing it all over again, I don't think I'd hesitate to buy an Adcom 555. You can get them pretty inexpensively, less than $500 ( the Levinson was $1700 bucks). I'd be interested in someone had a good recommendation for a pre-amp to go with our configuration.

Good luck,
Tim Cochran
Old 27th April 2010 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
AlexK's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkbdgeorge ➡️
I do value your opinion, however, this is the type of response that plagues gearslutz. "This is why I am surprised this home speaker has been accepted as a monitor. I would have chosen something a bit more linear in the impedence department."
It has been chosen because they sound good and work for people. Im not saying you dont know what you are talking about, because you probably do, I just not a fan of these type of statements.
Fan or not, he's right - the Matrix 801 does drop to less than half it's rated impedance even from factory, yours will probably vary even further based on their age. It's no use installing a speaker in a studio if it's going to keep blowing amps half way through recording sessions.

I should add though that they're not 'bad' speakers - they're fantastic. There's a reason loads of studios chose to use them, as you say, because of the sound. They do have their practical flaws though...


Quote:
Originally Posted by wkbdgeorge ➡️
Anyways, thats all ill say on that subject. Any other amps that people found to power these guys in an economical way?
The Rotel RB-1572 would seem to fit the bill on paper. I haven't heard that particular model, but I do own two other Rotel amps both of which are strong performers, especially considering their price.

I would look to bi-amp them, not only will you be presenting an easier load to each amp, but there should be significant sonic improvements. I believe the Matrix 801 s2 is bi-ampable...
Old 27th April 2010 | Show parent
  #35
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
A high end amp (Krell, Classe, Mark Levinson, Moon, etc...) will sound a fair bit better than some of the brands mentioned (NAD, Rotel, even Adcom & Bryston) IMO. Look for something used. Power ratings don't always tell you how well they can drive demanding speakers (high current power is what you want). If you look at specs (which generally don't tell you much), check for amps that have as close to a doubling of power as the impedance drops in half (ie 200 watts @ 8ohms, 400 watts @ 4ohms)
Old 27th April 2010 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
ddageek's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Yep old PDC came off as a bit of a snob, fact is we all know the B&W 800 series has been a standard for Classical and Mastering for years. They can be a difficult load, but if an easy load was the primary factor in loudspeaker choice we would all own the resistive Magnepans, and that would mean we would be shopping at the other "high end shop " in KC not where PDC works !
Lots of people run more difficult loads all day long with Adcoms, Bryston, Levinson ect.
I would try 2 adcoms Briged
Old 28th April 2010 | Show parent
  #37
PDC
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek ➡️
Yep old PDC came off as a bit of a snob, fact is we all know the B&W 800 series has been a standard for Classical and Mastering for years. They can be a difficult load, but if an easy load was the primary factor in loudspeaker choice we would all own the resistive Magnepans, and that would mean we would be shopping at the other "high end shop " in KC not where PDC works !
Lots of people run more difficult loads all day long with Adcoms, Bryston, Levinson ect.
I would try 2 adcoms Briged
I did not say that they didn't serve a purpose. I have sold a pair or two in my day to classical/audiophile guys. I could never interest someone into rock, country, etc.

All I am saying is, if one were a purist and wanted something that was really out of the way and really neutral on the bottom end, there would be better, more linear and efficient speakers than the latest incarnations.

The new mastering rooms doing non classical music today are likely not into buying B&Ws I imagine. Careful with your selection because, like hardcore B&W fans know, there are certain versions that are undesirable.

There is a reason why B&Ws sales are way down in the US. There is a reason that they are having to buy dealerships themselves to sell their own product. They are just not in demand like there used to be. There are better options.

It is not about snobbery. There are better speakers for the same money or less IMO. BTW, I no longer work at my buddies shop.

The reason you see Rotel paired up with B&W is because they are all bundled together. It is kind of mandatory to carry it with B&W. It is not that Rotel is great. It is good mid-fi at best. I would pass on Rotel myself.
Old 28th April 2010 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Knox's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I have Bryston 4B ST amps AND I have some Adcom 555 amps. To me there is no comparison at all! I hear Jim Williams has some mods that make the Adcoms better amps. I am not saying Adcoms are bad, but HUGE difference to me with the Brystons. To the poster that asked about differences in Bryston 4B designs. The older 4B is a decent amp but the 4BST and SST have better top end. Different designs btw. Some like the low end better on the 4B NPB. The Brystons with the larger logo are generally the pro versions and have attenuation adjustments on front and XLRs.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump