Quantcast
Manley Vari Mu -- Version Clarification - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Manley Vari Mu -- Version Clarification
Old 17th May 2003
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Manley Vari Mu -- Version Clarification

Does anybody know whether the scaled down version can be upgraded to the heavy duty mastering version?

And whether the scaled down version can be used for mastering anyway?

ciao,
woods
Old 17th May 2003
Craneslut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I don't think there's a 'scaled down' version. The only diff I'm aware of is the detented switches instead of pots. Same sound, I believe...
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
OTOH, there are quiet a few different version of vari-mu, due to the availabaility of components ...

I'm sure Eve Ana will come and rescue us on that matter ...

malice
Old 18th May 2003
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Email from EveAnna

Got an email from EveAnna, here it is:

It sounds like it is a normal Variable Mu. Normal ones cannot be upgraded to Mastering Versions. M/S (AKA Vartical/Lateral) Mod can be added for $500.
If the serial number is MSLC#### then it is a normal one as seen on the website.
---
Cheers, EveAnna Manley, President
Manley Laboratories,
Old 18th May 2003
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
On the Manley website it states the following as a description of the mastering version:

The Mastering Version of our Variable MUยฎ incorporating detented and logable 1/2dB steps built with 1% metal film resistors on sealed gold-contact Grayhill switches may be custom ordered for an additional $1000 NET added above base cost.

My questions about this are:

Are the detented and logable 1/2 steps and the 1% metal film resistors on Grayhills the only difference between the regular version and the mastering version?

How would you describe a comparison of the two versions?

Can the regular version be used for mastering? Or do you have to have the upgrade to enable it to be used for mastering?

Do you know of anyone using the regular version for mastering?

Do you know of anyone with a regular version with the M/S mod using that for mastering?

ciao,
woods
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…