The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
0300 vs VS2108 (ported or sealed)?
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
0300 vs VS2108 (ported or sealed)?

I'm a film composer. I need monitors that I can write all day on - 12-15 hours a day.
But they also need to be usable (not perfect, just satisfactory) for mixing and mastering myself sometimes.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the K+H 0300s (sealed) probably with the 0800 sub, or the Quested VS 2108s (ported) and MAYBE with their VS sub.

I'm interested in how the Barefoot MM27s would compare to these (or if I would even notice the difference - I'm not a 'golden ears' guy), but they're a little pricey for me anyway.

I've heard how sealed systems give cleaner bass, but I'm not sure that debate is relevant to a near field system in a 16 x 18 writing room.

Anyone have an opinion of which would work better for typical orchestra/electronica/hybrid film music?
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You can't really go far wrong with the K+H 0300 / 0800 combination, but for a little more money you should also check out the Geithain 901Ks. Very special speakers and you don't need a sub.
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Are Geithains only for acoustic music ? Or also great for electronic ?

I am myself thinking of picking up a pair of RL906s after testing.
Old 19th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yes. The Geithains make me foam at the mouth...but at around 10k for the pair....that's pretty insane.
On top of that, they're hard to buy (or demo) in Los angeles...

But I've thought about them more than once....
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Are the Geithains a sealed speaker...that's what it looks like.

My question really is less about the specific speaker models (0300, 2108, etc), and is really more about the Ported Vs. Sealed accuracy/quality in the context of a near-field in a small 15x18 room....

BTW, I should disclose that I'm currently on HR824s Mk1, so anything is probably going to seem like a huge leap forward....
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The Geithain 901Ks are indeed sealed, so much so that if you walk behind them with music playing there is virtually no bottom end to be heard!

Quite remarkable speakers they are, but yes, Β£10k a pair is a bit on the steep side. Worth it though I think, or at least that's how I'm selling it to my accountant!
Old 20th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
having recently acquired Passive Quested H208s that UPs Damaged Waiting for the new drivers to get here I am biased but I will say buy with your ears not on a theory! Your going to be listening to these things not defending a design!
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
VS2108 have a wide horizontal sweet spot that makes everything sound expansive. Not a very focused image, The O300s have a much tighter focused sound and better stereo imaging. Comparing the two, clients will probably be more impressed hearing the VS2108 because it has a big sound (everything seems to have been recorded in a large hall coming out of those) but from a mixing standpoint, the O300s are much better.

Personally, I'd take the O300s. Either one, you'll need a sub to get to anything at or below 50Hz since the rolloff takes out the impact a lot earlier and the amps/clip lights will go if you try to push the speakers. With a sub, they both sound much better because they aren't distorting in the low-end from trying to drive ranges/levels they can't do. I don't like the Quested subs (the whole crossover system/phase is a bit wonky) so even if you went with the VS2108, I'd go to a different brand's sub. The K+H sub is good.

The Barefoot is in a different league. For one, it won't need a sub so it differs by being full range. That has a lot of benefits in imaging/phase. With the MM27, you'd be more comparable to ATC SCM50SL (I guess the 25 too, but haven't heard them yet) and the larger K+H.

Any way you go, they'll all be huge leaps over the Mackies. All of these speakers will be room dependent (especially the volume of your room), so whatever way you go, make sure you can try them in your room (especially in getting required SPLs and dependent on if you have client couches, etc for demoing.)
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Seeing that you want monitors that you can use 12+ hours a day, I would suggest the K+H (Neumann) O300's or the ADAM S3X-H's.

Barefoots would give you more low-end than the O300 and about the same as the S3X-H but would be a bit more fatiguing if you're gonna use them for extended periods....

Why not just get a local dealer to demo them in your studio? I'm sure that would help you get the best monitors that work for you.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marineville ➑️
The Geithain 901Ks are indeed sealed, so much so that if you walk behind them with music playing there is virtually no bottom end to be heard!

Quite remarkable speakers they are, but yes, Β£10k a pair is a bit on the steep side. Worth it though I think, or at least that's how I'm selling it to my accountant!
Not exactly. RL901 are sealed. RL901K (the cardiod bass ones) use two big ports in the back to cancel out the bass there - > thus forming a cardiod pattern down to 32Hz as thay say. It is also not a perfect cardiod, it has ~10dB of drop at the 180 degrees.
It should work much better than omni when placed closer to wall (less bass build-up and less combfiltering from the reflection).
It also behaves differently with modes (as I've read) as it couples (better) even at the null points. So you don't loose the (1.1.1.) mode when you place the speaker in the middle of the room. Interesting stuff.

Hopefully my pair (of rl901k) arrives this monday, so I'll be able to try some of this cardiod stuff.

KH o300... vertical directivity of those is very narrow and it doesn't sound good off axis (to me at least). Not a problem if you're the only one who listens to them. But if anyone stands behind you, then there is a problem, because he hears a very colored mids.
Lives for gear

Another thumbsup for the K+H

Worked with two different Quested models, but can't remember them. Finally, I didn't like the Quested at all.
Old 16th October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've been offered a pair of VS2108's 2nd hand in good working order (but no boxes) for Β£1225 (about $2000 US) Does anyone know if that's a good or bad or average deal? Appreciate any feedback, as I have to make a decision asap. Thanks
Old 17th October 2010 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adg21 ➑️
I've been offered a pair of VS2108's 2nd hand in good working order (but no boxes) for Β£1225 (about $2000 US) Does anyone know if that's a good or bad or average deal? Appreciate any feedback, as I have to make a decision asap. Thanks
Responded to your query over in high end - good deal for a good speaker. You won't find a pair of K&H for that.
πŸ“ Reply