Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
In the 500 eq/comp, I have:

2 purple ODD
2 Actionsa
1 Anamod 660

And used many times, all the 500 api EQs

The verdict is:
ODD, may be my favourite 500 series piece of gear. Smooooooth! Use it every day. Love it, on bus, vocal, guitars, anything. The low cut gets a lot of use when tracking (since there is often no lowcut on 500 series preamp).
ACTION: I think that the problem here is that people wanted a MC77 for 1/3 the price. This just won't happen. But this unit is very cool, and yes it needs a lot af tweeking, but at least, at the end it's rewarding!! I'd say it certainly hard to find a better comp for 675$. I agree about the ratio knob, but the sound of those transformers... wow! Try it with compression off, just running sgnal trough it, just amazing...
Thi being said, Purple have some QC problems. The pots don't feel good, and I had to return one of my unit after 6 months. Too bad, cause I love the sound vs price ratio.
AM660, well, let's say this one is not for every one, nor for every application, but when it works... it's a god send! Don't let the (very simple) gut of this unit fool you, this thing has tons of Mojo. I wouldn't use it as my only compressor tho. It's there for special occasion, when you need magic. And is my favourite for drum room mic.

All API EQ's are a must. Every time I use them, I dream of a API desk.
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I can only speak from what I own, or have personally used. I have little to no experience with 500 form comps, so I'll stick to EQ's.

I like the API 550A's - they're a bit broad sometimes (2 dB steps), but have that instantly recognizable sound. Solid performers - always useful EQ's.

EM-PEQ - sounds lovely, has that certain sound few other EQ's attain. Not very flexible, but sound is it's selling point.

JLM-PEQ-500 - They have UNREAL bass sculpting abilities; some of the juiciest, deep, rich bass can be attained - the hi-freq. band is also very smooth - tuff to make anything ugly: the plus is you can push the band to switch to shelf (from peak) so helps with flexibilty.

Eisen (now Purple) lilpeq-r -what it lacks in flexibility, it shines of vibe: total of 6 freq. select, but well chosen spots, and the EQ sounds absolutely gorgeous. Those Marinair XFRMRS just seem to help everything that passes through them - the only downside is the knobs feel somewhat flimsy - maybe the new run with Purple will change that...

That's all I can contribute - I hope it helps,
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_bro ➑️
In the 500 eq/comp, I have:

2 purple ODD
2 Actionsa
1 Anamod 660

And used many times, all the 500 api EQs

The verdict is:
ODD, may be my favourite 500 series piece of gear. Smooooooth! Use it every day. Love it, on bus, vocal, guitars, anything. The low cut gets a lot of use when tracking (since there is often no lowcut on 500 series preamp).
ACTION: I think that the problem here is that people wanted a MC77 for 1/3 the price. This just won't happen. But this unit is very cool, and yes it needs a lot af tweeking, but at least, at the end it's rewarding!! I'd say it certainly hard to find a better comp for 675$. I agree about the ratio knob, but the sound of those transformers... wow! Try it with compression off, just running sgnal trough it, just amazing...
Thi being said, Purple have some QC problems. The pots don't feel good, and I had to return one of my unit after 6 months. Too bad, cause I love the sound vs price ratio.
AM660, well, let's say this one is not for every one, nor for every application, but when it works... it's a god send! Don't let the (very simple) gut of this unit fool you, this thing has tons of Mojo. I wouldn't use it as my only compressor tho. It's there for special occasion, when you need magic. And is my favourite for drum room mic.

All API EQ's are a must. Every time I use them, I dream of a API desk.
p_bro, thanks for the interesting post! I currently have an Action and planning to get couple of Odds and the AM660.

How'd you compare the Odd to API Eqs? The Odd is very attractively priced and the simplicity appeals to me, plus I also love the sound of Actions transformers and I'm maybe hoping the Odd offers the same type of big and beefy sound?

I have the E27 and it's very sweet and hifi. Maybe I'd wish my next eq to be a bit more rocknroll. I've read the Odd is super smooth but does it do "rock" at all? I know this is may sound stupid, but it's hard to put into words. Are the mids creamy?

How about the AM660, do you like it on vocals? I would track vocals and guitars (acoustic and electric) and bass with. I also have the Fatso and Action so it wouldnt be my only option though..
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u ➑️
I love my Buzz essence. I am scared to call it my favorite since there are so many different awesome compressors, but i think it really might be everything I personally wanted from a vocal tracking compressor. Its super smooth and damn near idiot proof. If I screw up the initial setting and get a huge peak the essence has by back!!! I found the opposite to be true with the purple actions. They are not flexible enough for vocal recording IMO. It just can't respond to the wide range of dynamics a vocal performance offers. Its either doing close to nothing or slamming. I actually had to pull it from the chain every time i tried it on vocals. Much more suited to something with a more consistent and predictable attack like guitar, bass, or drums. I would imagine its also not a great choice for solo instruments as well. Of course you can get a workable sound, but when compared to the buzz it feels crude and aggressive. The buzz lets you get a nice sound very quickly. The buzz also works extremely well on a wide variety of sources and there isn't anything it can really do. Its a desert island piece for me.
I also have much Love for the Buzz, shot it out with my cl1b, & MC77,for vocals. It was hard to say witch one I Liked better.
Great tone & size.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneRanger ➑️
p_bro, thanks for the interesting post! I currently have an Action and planning to get couple of Odds and the AM660.

How'd you compare the Odd to API Eqs? The Odd is very attractively priced and the simplicity appeals to me, plus I also love the sound of Actions transformers and I'm maybe hoping the Odd offers the same type of big and beefy sound?

I have the E27 and it's very sweet and hifi. Maybe I'd wish my next eq to be a bit more rocknroll. I've read the Odd is super smooth but does it do "rock" at all? I know this is may sound stupid, but it's hard to put into words. Are the mids creamy?

How about the AM660, do you like it on vocals? I would track vocals and guitars (acoustic and electric) and bass with. I also have the Fatso and Action so it wouldnt be my only option though..
Hey! Odd is very different from API. It is smooth but not at all transparent, very warm to, if that means anything. I like it alot on vocals, acoustic instruments, clean electric guitars, bus, but for rock guitars and snare, I would go API for sure. When I mic a guitar cab and EQ th mic with a 550, I have the feel I'm directly tweaking the amp, it just fit so well with these rock sounds. very punchy. I do slightly prefer the top end of the ODDs, tho. API rocks in the midrange IMO.

AM660 Is a star on vocal, I even use it on tracking, but you have to be careful, if the setting is not good, it can over react. For most vocals, it'S my "makes it sound like a record" piece of gear. Since you already have the action, I must say that I did enjoy using both in my vocal chain, getting some of the xformer beefy sound from the action, and then the AM660 to smooth it all. But that is if you're into color for vocals, if you're transparence, not recommended.

hope this helps
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss ➑️
a quick question for you 500 series users about racks...

i was wondering if your using all ten modules extesively, because of power drainage would this result in a weakend functioning of the modules?????

similar to when you use too many plugins on one computer, they start to not work as well due to lack of power, can this happen with 500 mods and racks?
I have not had any issue even using some that take more power.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey! Odd is very different from API. It is smooth but not at all transparent, very warm to, if that means anything. I like it alot on vocals, acoustic instruments, clean electric guitars, bus, but for rock guitars and snare, I would go API for sure. When I mic a guitar cab and EQ th mic with a 550, I have the feel I'm directly tweaking the amp, it just fit so well with these rock sounds. very punchy. I do slightly prefer the top end of the ODDs, tho. API rocks in the midrange IMO.

AM660 Is a star on vocal, I even use it on tracking, but you have to be careful, if the setting is not good, it can over react. For most vocals, it'S my "makes it sound like a record" piece of gear. Since you already have the action, I must say that I did enjoy using both in my vocal chain, getting some of the xformer beefy sound from the action, and then the AM660 to smooth it all. But that is if you're into color for vocals, if you're transparence, not recommended.

hope this helps
Hi, thanks again, this was helpful again!

I am not looking for transparency and I'm all for color and vintage sounds, I mostly listen to 60's and 70's music and love the old school sounds.

Which API Eq(s) are you using? The Purple definately intrigues me, it sells for a great price and the lowcut, as you mentioned, should be very useful as well. I'd love to get an API eq es well, but I really want to get two channels of the same eq for stereo applications and I only can get two more eq's for my lunchbox. Maybe someday... The E27 is cool as well, I guess I could cover a lot of ground with those to units. The guitar amp like midrange...man, that sounds cool!

The AM660 really sounds cool like a cool unit... Been listening to so much Beatles I think I'm addicted to that Fairchild sound. I guess I'd got it covered with the Anamod, Action and Fatso.

Cheers!
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
@Toneranger:

Just to be clear, API midrange is not guitar amp like midrange, it's just that it suits well this application. It'S uch more tight than any amp eq I've ever try. They are very tight and clear can really shape the tone.
All API eq's are great, 550A also has LP/HP filters, so if you're looking for that, this could be the one.
Of course, you can have 2 ODDs for the price of one 550A, but again, they are completly different.
Oh, and yes, if you're into 60's-70's british sound, you should get the Anamod for your vocals... It does what you think it does.
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I feel the 500-series stuff is every bit as good as anything else, sonically.

The GREAT thing about the 500-series is that you can fit 10 or 11 channels of stuff into a mere 3U spaces. That is a BIG DEAL!!!

I personally feel that it's CRITICAL to be able to reach all your gear while you remain in the monitor sweet-spot. How can one make critical adjustments if one cannot "hear" properly?

Let's just say you had 10 channels of your favorite 2U outboard devices.... that would take up 20U of space (35" of rack space)! By comparison, you could stick 10 channels of 500-series modules into a 10-slot 500-series rack and have 10 channels of stuff in a mere 3U (5.25"). BIG difference. In the same space it would take to hold 10 typical 2U outboard units you could hold 60 channels of 500 stuff.

Thank goodness for the 500-series system (and 200-series too). Otherwise guys without "consoles" (like me) would have an impossible time trying to fit all the outboard within arm's reach of the monitor sweet-spot. In fact, in my opinion, building up a custom summing system using 500 racks can be "better" than having a large console since the 500 arrangement is very portable, you can configure it however you like, etc... lots of advantages.
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
that is a beautiful thing...

the only negative i could think of was if you were trying to impress clients with your gear to look credible and all they see is one 3u space piece of gear....

i really like the idea of hybrid systems with:

protools
analog summing
19'' rack gear, the kind with xformers to big for 500 (pultec/neve/la2a)
500 series
control surface.
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
ACTION: I think that the problem here is that people wanted a MC77 for 1/3 the price.
In many ways i am glad that the Action is different to the MC77. I find that the Action works alot better on drums, and that it is more grabby and adds some excitement that you wouldnt get from an MC77.

Having said that for tracking vocals and bass i love my MC77, i guess its all about having both on the rack.

I also very recently got a BAC500, and first impressions are that its very similar to the Action however i have not had a chance to use it much as of yet.

Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
one could easily get 8 channels of comp and 8 channels of eq

to work some magic while mixing with something like the d-box...

or better, like the sumthang, xdesk, or nicerizer.

i love that there are some stereo comps out now like the foote and vandergraph.

also, JLM has a killer looking mu comp with a huge VU meter and a tube and transformers...
looks of pure beauty.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➑️
didn't get on w/ the Inward EQ or comp
kept wanting to push the bypass button
I was the same way toward the ODD, until I used a non tube mic, for some reason my tube mics + ODD not so keen, but other mics such as dynamics, u87, 414 the ODD comes alive.

Anyone notice this ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➑️
didn't get on w/ the Inward EQ or comp
kept wanting to push the bypass button
Which comp? The OPT1A or the VCA one?
I've been hearing good things about the OPT1A, but not so good things about the VCA module.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
This is what happens when my opinion is typed.

No this is what happens when your opinion is for sale... by you! 99% of what you pimp, Mercenary sells. Theres NO QUESTION by your posts you are a salesman FIRST and foremost. (of course you will adamantly deny it and reference pieces you dont sell but Ive been on this site since you started my friend...)

Which is fine but dont get your panties in a bunch when its called out. I prefer to call a horse, a horse.

Personally- I wont buy 500 series comps- too many better sounding options out there. And to those saying the API comps??? Jeeze, they sure didn't have the reputation you claim back in the day...

If someone can make a 500 series comp that sounds as good as my LA2A or 2254s, then Ill get excited. Hasn't happened... But if you dont have much cash... 500 series all the way! Its like the Hundai of gear!

I do like my 312s though.
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by haikusoftruth ➑️
No this is what happens when your opinion is for sale... by you! 99% of what you pimp, Mercenary sells. Theres NO QUESTION by your posts you are a salesman FIRST and foremost. (of course you will adamantly deny it and reference pieces you dont sell but Ive been on this site since you started my friend...)

Which is fine but dont get your panties in a bunch when its called out. I prefer to call a horse, a horse.

Personally- I wont buy 500 series comps- too many better sounding options out there. And to those saying the API comps??? Jeeze, they sure didn't have the reputation you claim back in the day...

If someone can make a 500 series comp that sounds as good as my LA2A or 2254s, then Ill get excited. Hasn't happened... But if you dont have much cash... 500 series all the way! Its like the Hundai of gear!

total utter bull.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Whoa, dude. You're waaaaaayyy out of line.

- c
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
And to those saying the API comps??? Jeeze, they sure didn't have the reputation you claim back in the day...
Well I sure don't claim to be the same self-proclaimed expert you are, but as someone who uses a pair of 525's, I'm happy being one of those guys that do think they're special. I've had my share of time on all the usual suspects, as far as the standard rack mounted comps, and they easily hang with them.Like effortlessly IMHO thumbsup

And I agree that was a pretty harsh reply to Pan60
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

Wow, that really is some serious BS.

There is a lot of good stuff and some not so good stuff in the 500 series, blanket statements like that are pretty silly.

To me the format is not that big of a factor, I would try everything on a case by case basis because it is all different.

What do I know, sometimes I even run drums or a bass through uber cheap analog gear to rough them up. Thank goodness not every comp is an LA2A or a 2254. Which is not to say that there aren't 500 series comps that sound as good as them.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i have heard great sounds from the buzz essence, and the lildevil comp, both are comparible to the la2a and 2254.....
but awesome that they don't sound the same.........

and it would not be good if 500 series sounded as 'good', they offer something different and that is why people like them.
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
maybe harsh so i will rephrase.

Quote:

although i feel Roc has a LOT to offer, this is between you Roc Mixwell and had nothing to do with my comment.

Quote:
IMHO, their are some comps that are every bit as good sound as is what could be found in a 19'' gear.
the 500 format dose deliver, just because something is not the same should not be a term of as good.
i agree their are some traditional 19'' rack comps that clearly would be welcome additions to any studio, i just don't see that has better.

Quote:
If someone can make a 500 series comp that sounds as good as my LA2A or 2254s, then Ill get excited. Hasn't happened... But if you dont have much cash... 500 series all the way!
as i say, IMHO their are 500 format comps that deliver as good as it gets.

Quote:
Its like the Hundai of gear!
and this is what warrants the total utter bull shltt comment.
and for this comment, it stands.

Quote:
cool.

anyone who would refer to 500 format gear as
Quote:
Its like the Hundai of gear!
has limited experience with the format or is just trolling.
Old 8th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i found my old thread heh heh thumbsup

thought it needed some developing....

(i've really been thinking about how great it would be to make fader modules so that the 500 series could be built into consoles like the tonelux, but no one seems to be working on such a thing....

but i have heard tonelux is working on 500 series modules, along with wunder and hardy, and some other great 500 series modules in the works....

but with the development of the radial 5000, i think things are really developing for the format.
Old 8th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm loving the Shadow Hills Mono Opto 500.

Tracked some vox and acoustics a while back with JLM NV500, Avedis E27 and SHMO comp. Sweet, sweet sounds.
Old 13th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
The Hyundai Genesis was named the 2009 North American Car of the Year...

Hyundai takes Detroit car-of-the-year award | Reuters

Just had to stir the poop
Old 5th February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai ➑️
Hey Roc- and I value your opinion, as I do other members.

Buzz Essence- fantastic comp for vocals/acoustic instruments/FOK -slight thickening from transformer - leaves feel of music intact.

BAC500- Very deep and rich, has a grab that is cool, gives a softer edge- awesome on vocals/piano, drums, saxaphone, electric bass..mix bus..

GJ
Newcastle/OZ

Hi there,

Sydney here,

if the Essence is anything like the SOC 1.1 from Buzz I will love it!

Big thumbs up for Buzz Audio!!

thumbsup Tim is a super laid back dude, friendly, has all the time you need to ask all your questions, just great. And from my humble experience tremendous value!

Same as Pete Montessi from A Designs (PAcifica - sweeeeeeet!!)

Where did you buy the BAC, here in OZ? cheers,

bourian

NO WAY AROUND A DESIGNS AUDIO AND BUZZ AUDIO!!!
Old 5th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=bourian;5076081]Hi there,

Sydney here,

if the Essence is anything like the SOC 1.1 from Buzz I will love it!

Hey Bourian - I like the essence more than the SOC - and I have both. The Essence is awesome on vocals.

(Quote-Borian) Where did you buy the BAC, here in OZ? cheers,

bourian

Hey- I bought x3 BAC500's straight from Petes Place before they got distributors. Awave in Melbourne have them for a reasonable price- just put an order in for an A Designs Reddi with Awave today.

Regards

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
πŸ“ Reply