Quantcast
SSL, API or Neve 80xx series console??? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL, API or Neve 80xx series console???
Old 16th May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
SSL, API or Neve 80xx series console???

We are building a new multi-room facility in the Chicago area. The focus will be primarily on music recording. The "B" room may accommodate post work.

We have been waffling back and forth with the decision of which console to purchase. SSL 4k, API and vintage Neve 80xx series are the considerations. There are currently (7) SSL based rooms in town (only one is SSL 9k). There is one Neve 8058, and no API rooms.

We plan to be a tracking and mixing facility. Our recording formats will include Studer 2" 24 track, Ampex 1/2" 2 track and ProTools HD.

Our preference sonically speaking would be API or vintage Neve. Vintage Neves typically require continual maintenance to keep them healthy though.

Considering all of the above, which console would make the "A" room most marketable as a tracking/mix room?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 17th May 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I would say be the only place in town with an API. McBride can be the only Neve guy and you can be the only API guy. I heard there's a new SSL in town. It's at Rax Trax, don't know what model though.

p.s. Can I come up and play with the API when you get it?
Old 17th May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Drumsound
I would say be the only place in town with an API. McBride can be the only Neve guy and you can be the only API guy. I heard there's a new SSL in town. It's at Rax Trax, don't know what model though.

p.s. Can I come up and play with the API when you get it?

Thanks for the reply Tony.

Rax Trax very recently put in an SSL 4048 E/G.

We are leaning towards the API thinking we may be able to create a niche market, but what makes the decision difficult is not knowing whether or not we can generate as much business with it as compared to an SSL 4k.

If we do wind up with the API, you are welcome to come up and play with it.
Old 18th May 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by dumbleator
Thanks for the reply Tony.
Anytime.

Quote:
If we do wind up with the API, you are welcome to come up and play with it.
Cool, I can't wait. Seriously let me know. I have family in Chicago and come fairly often.
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have to agree with Tony on the API. An API Legacy with Uptown automation is both a fantastic tracking board and a somewhat recallable mix console. The EQ's are stepped so recall is possible and accurate if you take good notes.
Old 19th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I'm a fellow chicagoan who just opened up a new ssl room not even a month ago (we have a 6000). When we started out we were in the same boat on picking our console, I went through and tried to find out how many of what were out there. That was a little over a year ago and I found only five other ssl rooms so it seemed to me like that was the best idea. But after working with my tech and installing it, I found out there are really about 12 ssl's in the city, a lot of them new additions, and there aren't really that many other choices out there. I don't regret for a second going with the ssl but if I had to do it again I would probly get a neve or api since there are just so few around.

John
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
John,
I looked at your site. I dig the brick walls. You really should mention the SSL on the web site. That's the kind of thing that brings people in.
Old 20th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
drumsound-

I made the mistake of getting one of my friends to do the website. Good thing is he'll do it for free, bad thing is he turned out to be not to dependable and left out many key figures (like the ssl). The pictures on there are from before the studio was even wired.

But he promised me yesterday that he'd get the rest of the info and the real pictures up today. I guess he got sick of me calling him twice a day for the last three weeks.

John
Old 21st May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Thanks guys.

Anyone else???
Old 22nd May 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
You want to attract tracking and mixing work.
- The SSL will attract more mixing work and put you in direct competition with 7 - 12 other rooms.
- The Neve will attract more tracking work and put you in direct competition with one other room.
- The API will attract tracking work as well but has no direct competition.

The SSL and API could be new or used, but the Neve will be "vintage" and require a tech to look after it. Do you have someone at hand to handle that?

An SSL is subject to the latest = greatest syndrome, while the API and Neve are not.

The desk is going in your A room, I assume you've got a sizable tracking room attached? Your B room is gearing up for possible post-production work, will this be on a PT HD3/ Pro Control set-up? I assume your B room has minimal tracking space attached, but is the control room fairly sizable? I'm thinking in terms of later growth, it may be a good plan to gear your A room toward tracking/ class A mixing now with the possibility of adding an SSL to your B room in the future. With that sort of long-term plan in place, opening with a new API Legacy in A makes sense to me.
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
API
Old 23rd May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Subspace has a point there. A room with an API legacy (i say a Plus) and Uptown. i'm an avid fan of Neve, but with the tech issue... well..

a B room with a less expensive SSL 4K E or G with recall and Ultamation. unless the B room is not a big. and then the PT Pro Control thing is better.
i would come to your studio if it was API/Neve A room SSL/PT PC B room if i had a gig in Chicago. love neve, dig API!

my 2 pence
heh
Old 23rd May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by subspace
You want to attract tracking and mixing work.
- The SSL will attract more mixing work and put you in direct competition with 7 - 12 other rooms.
- The Neve will attract more tracking work and put you in direct competition with one other room.
- The API will attract tracking work as well but has no direct competition.

The SSL and API could be new or used, but the Neve will be "vintage" and require a tech to look after it. Do you have someone at hand to handle that?

An SSL is subject to the latest = greatest syndrome, while the API and Neve are not.

The desk is going in your A room, I assume you've got a sizable tracking room attached? Your B room is gearing up for possible post-production work, will this be on a PT HD3/ Pro Control set-up? I assume your B room has minimal tracking space attached, but is the control room fairly sizable? I'm thinking in terms of later growth, it may be a good plan to gear your A room toward tracking/ class A mixing now with the possibility of adding an SSL to your B room in the future. With that sort of long-term plan in place, opening with a new API Legacy in A makes sense to me.

Thanks for the response.

We've pretty much decided against the vintage Neve, because we do not want the maintenance headaches.

Studio A will be just under 1000 sq. ft. with 22' ceilings. The facility will be arranged so that CR A (540 sq. ft.) and CR B (255 sq. ft.) will look into the Studio A, as well as the smaller Studio B (215 sq. ft.), and two iso booths. We planned it this way so that either control room could be tracking while the other is mixing.

CR B could reasonably accommodate an SSL 4056 with remote patch. For now CR B is going to be a ProTools room due to budget constraints.

At this point we are leaning towards an API Legacy or Legacy Plus console.
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sad to say...but if youre sucessful with the API...youll probably hafta pull it out to replace it with a SSL...so why not start there.
There were 4 API here in s fla...i sold 3 of them. two have already been replaced...the owner of the third is auditioning the SSL 200...and Southpoint...the only studio with a installed API...a legacy plus...is considering changing consoles when they move into their new facility....seems recall wins over sound quality
Old 28th May 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
if he was successful with the API, why replace it?
Old 29th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I guess the clients were demanding familiarity...and recall..i thought it to be ...and it was...a bouitique drawing card
πŸ“ Reply