Quantcast
Shadow Hills Shadow Hills Optograph Compressor (non 500 series) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shadow Hills Shadow Hills Optograph Compressor (non 500 series)
Old 14th November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Shadow Hills Shadow Hills Optograph Compressor (non 500 series)

Here's a little non-technical and quick (from my iphone) walkthrough for this killer compressor.

YouTube - Shadow hills optograph compressor

Cheers,
Bryan

Bryan Clark - If Elvis Costello was From Texas and grew up on Bill Monroe's farm: Americana, New Folk, Bluegrass, Texas. - Home
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 14th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks!
Old 15th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I just did a mix with one of these on the master buss and I will NEVER mix without again in that room. (It's a Neve 50 series room)

I can't explain what it did to my mix. It didn't just tighten it up, it just made it WORK.

Incredible piece of gear. 2 thumbs up. It takes some getting used to with the manley style mirror design, and not all the controls are immediately intuitive, so the manual is a must, but as i said, CRUCIAL! :-)
Old 15th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
well done sir
Old 14th March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know how many rack spaces the optograph is? mine comes in a coupe of months and i want to make room for it now while i am rewiring the studio. Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
its four rack spaces
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice walkthrough. Thanks.

I'd be cool if you could post some before and after sound clips on bass, guitar, vocals, and drums!
Old 13th April 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Optograph is rockin

So since November I've tracked 3 records through it and love it. Vocals, guitars all types, acoustic and upright bass, theremin, horn sections, etc....I'm going to try to run it through my bus for mastering after/before my waves chain L3 16, etc.... I'll let you know about it.

Last edited by bryanclark; 13th April 2010 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
Old 13th April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thank youthumbsup
Old 15th May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanclark ➑️

So since November I've tracked 3 records through it and love it. Vocals, guitars all types, acoustic and upright bass, theremin, horn sections, etc....I'm going to try to run it through my bus for mastering after/before my waves chain L3 16, etc.... I'll let you know about it.
Bryan:

I'm in the market for a bus compressor. My setup currently has a SH Equinox, which I love. I was debating on this or on the SH Dual Vandergraph for 2 bus mastering duties, so I'm curious to see how the Optograph handles a 2bus instead of tracking.

Please let me know.
Old 25th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkz1974 ➑️
Bryan:
I was debating on this or on the SH Dual Vandergraph for 2 bus mastering duties, so I'm curious to see how the Optograph handles a 2bus instead of tracking.

Please let me know.
Please
Old 27th November 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
royceroackstar:

the answer to the optogrpah on mixing: its really cool! i've been going between my Zener limiter and the optograph. The optgraph has a completely different sound - slightly more open and transparent unless you push it of course. then, its not really usable to my ear because the attack and release is set and that doesn't work for 2 bus situations for me (again, if it's pushed). I've found (using it for the last 2 years) that it sounds best around just before it becomes noticeable on everything except vocals - then you can do anything with it.

the optrograph has one distinct advantage over the other compressors out there: the multi selections on the filters: not even the shadowhills mastering compressor has that! (not to my knowledge - please correct if wrong).

i've been experimenting with this chain: 2 NOS Ampex 350s into the optograph for 2 bus mixes and have been really happy with that. Then i go into my mastering chain (which also includes the Zener).

Cheers,
bryan
Old 27th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanclark ➑️
the optrograph has one distinct advantage over the other compressors out there: the multi selections on the filters
Alta Moda Unicomp has similar filtering, plus other switchable functions that make it a versatile choice as well
πŸ“ Reply