Quantcast
Wisseloord studio in big problems - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wisseloord studio in big problems
Old 7th December 2010 | Show parent
  #31
GnS
Gear Maniac
 
GnS's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Now Ronald Prent (who worked at Wisseloor for many years before moving to galaxy studios (BE)) and Darcy Proper (mastering engeer, former galaxy too) now re-opening Wisseloord with massive sponsoring help from their industry partners like SPL, PMC, Avid/Euphonix, API and so on. So I think Proper and Prent are leaving Galaxy and starting Wisseloord as their own "baby".

I'm very excited what the future will bring and wish these guys all the best.
Old 7th December 2010 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
LeMauce's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnS ➡️
Now Ronald Prent (who worked at Wisseloor for many years before moving to galaxy studios (BE)) and Darcy Proper (mastering engeer, former galaxy too) now re-opening Wisseloord with massive sponsoring help from their industry partners like SPL, PMC, Avid/Euphonix, API and so on. So I think Proper and Prent are leaving Galaxy and starting Wisseloord as their own "baby".

I'm very excited what the future will bring and wish these guys all the best.
Wow! Thats really great news. But still concerns me... The recording industrie in Holland isn't that big. Not a big market. They listen a lot overseas English/Americana music. And there is a smaller niche dutch music market that is done in smaller "bed room" studio's.
I wish them all the succes! Will pay a visite
Old 7th December 2010
  #33
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxx ➡️
One of the biggest Dutch studio's, the Wisseloord studio in Hilversum has big problems, the Dutch tax department has announced that they will sell a part of the inventory to pay the debts the studio has to the Dutch gouverment. The personel is also running away because they don't get paid anymore.
I hate to say it
but this is what happens
if people fail to read the signs of the times
Old 7th December 2010 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
waxx's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnS ➡️
Now Ronald Prent (who worked at Wisseloor for many years before moving to galaxy studios (BE)) and Darcy Proper (mastering engeer, former galaxy too) now re-opening Wisseloord with massive sponsoring help from their industry partners like SPL, PMC, Avid/Euphonix, API and so on. So I think Proper and Prent are leaving Galaxy and starting Wisseloord as their own "baby".

I'm very excited what the future will bring and wish these guys all the best.
That's bad news for Galaxy, the 2 better engineers there who brought in the money for galaxy are leaving...

But maybe there is now place for others who don't get a chance...
Old 7th December 2010 | Show parent
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Tom H's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce ➡️
... The recording industrie in Holland isn't that big. Not a big market. They listen a lot overseas English/Americana music. And there is a smaller niche dutch music market that is done in smaller "bed room" studio's.
mmm.. niche?

There may not be huge recording market in Holland for the studios, but there are a lot of good dutch artists and bands with succes and popularity at the moment, thanks to the continuing support of 3FM/Wereld draait door.

I think Wisseloord with their reputation and location will surely benefit of this current musical climate in Holland.

The combination of the studio's heritage, partnership and engineers seems like a ticket for a good future.
Old 7th December 2010 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Reopening it seems in 2011 with an API Legacy..

API News
Old 7th December 2010 | Show parent
  #37
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Its with an API Vision (like at Galaxy)...We are the ones getting the Legacy Plus
Mistake in the press release
Old 7th December 2010 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
"....API and fellow sponsors Avid/Euphonix, Eggleston Works, PMC, Prism Sound and SPL have worked with Ronald Prent, Wisseloord Studios' creative managing director..."

Gear companies sponsoring studios
pretty much says all about the market situation.
Old 7th December 2010 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
doubledecker's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Big System 5 is coming too.

It was a nice place to record and mix, good rooms.

I hope they turn it around.


I was there quite often from 1994-1997 and it was more of a Polygram's in house studio rather than a commercial facility. They didn't really go with the times other than installing new 9000 J's.

That was all fine until music industry took a dive.

Anyway, i wish them all the best
Old 7th December 2010 | Show parent
  #40
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
If they can't get a private investor to pay the tax liability and $25,000 per month rent, the state can take it over. Then it can be renamed Government Studios. Then they will lower rates as they would be subsidized by taxpayers. Then the remaining private studios in Holland can try and compete. They might if they lower their rates too, but their standard of living would be affected.

Sort of sounds like that health care debate going on in the US.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Except people don't die when a studio goes bust...
Old 7th December 2010 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman ➡️
[I]
Gear companies sponsoring studios
pretty much says all about the market situation.
what do they expect?!

really bad move to sponsor and handicap the others.
Old 7th December 2010 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
Mike O's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
If true, hardly a new development.......
Old 8th December 2010
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Joram's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Wisseloord studio in big problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez

what do they expect?!

really bad move to sponsor and handicap the others.
Yes indeed!
Our studio could be/is considered as serious competition for quite a few of Wisseloord's clients. The sponsorship of Wisseloord does indeed handicap us, although the new owners are indeed experienced and good engineers.
To be honest I don't believe that such a construction will work on the long term. I expect that Wisseloord will not make profit, as in the past 30 years.
Old 8th December 2010 | Show parent
  #44
Harmless Wacko
 
🎧 15 years
Looks like a bunch of the local "competition" started kicking the corpse a little too early.

I LOVE when that happens.

Hopefully they'll make a decent go of it.

SM.
Old 8th December 2010 | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Studerfreak's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joram ➡️
I've been a few times in Wisseloord. I always had the impression that image was more important than quality of work.
Obviously you did not talk to the engineers there.
Or worked with them.
Old 8th December 2010 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
leaper's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Best wishes to them.
Have only had sporadic blurbs with Ronald and Darcy but they were obviously incredibly passionate about music.
Respect!
Sounds like Ronald will continue with his API obsession...
Old 8th December 2010 | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
 
Studerfreak's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
You must be talking about "long ago" as Ronald left Wisseloord years ago (1999) and went to Galaxy in Belgium.
And yes: He has a gigantic API Vision console there....
Darcy also works there as Senior Mastering Engineer ! (That is if you mean Darcy Proper).
And yes: Incredibly passionate about music.
Thanks to Ronald the SACD came to high audio standards.
Old 8th December 2010 | Show parent
  #48
Gear Nut
 
mistarazor's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman ➡️
I hate to say it
but this is what happens
if people fail to read the signs of the times

+1

sad sad news, but on the otherhand didn't surprise me
Old 8th December 2010 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
leaper's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studerfreak ➡️
You must be talking about "long ago" as Ronald left Wisseloord years ago (1999) and went to Galaxy in Belgium.
Unfortunately, my "long ago" is rather longer ago than your long ago.
That damn "long ago" scale just keeps extending as the years appear to accelerate.
Your "long ago" was like 5 minutes ago on my geriatric timescale.
Where did I put that zimmer frame?
What were we writing about anyway?
Old 8th December 2010 | Show parent
  #50
Lives for gear
 
Studerfreak's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
You must be 13.442 years old by now then ?
You are Earthling ?
Old 8th December 2010 | Show parent
  #51
Gear Maniac
 
API Sez...'s Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman ➡️
"....API and fellow sponsors Avid/Euphonix, Eggleston Works, PMC, Prism Sound and SPL have worked with Ronald Prent, Wisseloord Studios' creative managing director..."

Gear companies sponsoring studios
pretty much says all about the market situation.
The word 'sponsor' was used in the press release and comments about the re-emergence of Wisseloord only in the context of companies that have agreed to supply equipment to the new studio. No one listed is 'giving' any gear or making any investment in the studio.
The companies listed agreed to make the announcement about Wisseloord as a group at AES in San Fran. to show support for the creative team that is involved - not to indicate there was any endorsement thing going on. This is a business relationship like any other.

How do we know this? API was asked by the creative team to assemble the various companies that had purchase agreements with Wisseloord and help make the announcement on Nov 5th at AES.
Old 8th December 2010 | Show parent
  #52
theother
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Stengaard ➡️
- you're crazy dude...Capitalism ate itself out and look what a mess were in right now...start taxing, educating people, healing people etc etc...and keep those greedy wall street people in check !!!!
I'm with you!thumbsup

All politicians are in the wall street's pocket. It's time something gets done. It's isn't brain science. The whole stock market and property system needs new laws. It can be done.
At them moment this arseholes suck all the money out of the system without giving anything in value back.
Once enough people will ask for it, a greedy politician will offer himself to get elected by giving them what they want. Not that he possibly cares. He would do anything...


the other day I was at my bank... I checked my interest rates....
they give me 0.1% for savings but charge 19.5% on overdraft (plus fees). I'm with Barclays for 15 years now. These [email protected] made something like £16bn profit last year!!

The use the low interest rate from the bank of England to not pay you any interest but when you borrow money they just happen to ignore it.

We should all take our money out from the bank right now and let them burn down and collapse. All they do is use your money in your current account and speculate with the billions that they have sitting there (not paying you anything).
All the big banks make the big money now with speculating on the markets for THEMSELVES, not for you!!

But they use your $ for it.

It can't go on that property rises 5-10 fold over inflation. We end up that no one who never owned property can afford one. This is insane!!

And finally (now I got going! ) let's stop this **** that music is free. It isn't. We can decide! It's not that the world doesn't need music or can't afford it. If someone steals music, so be it. Make it clear it's a criminal offence. (you don't have to send people to prison for it, but we could come up with some sort of punishment)
Only because someone steals we don't have to devalue music. How low do we want to go for an album price? Everything goes up in the world but music. This is just insane people! Stop making excuses for these arseholes stealing music. It's the same as stealing a car or food in a supermarket. Why is everyone so afraid saying so?
Old 8th December 2010 | Show parent
  #53
theother
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ruston ➡️
Guys I think tax men and politicians are a sidetrack. The studio is surely going out of business for the same fundamental reason that so many other big facilities have gone the same way: the clients can no longer afford a rate which allows the studio to survive.

If we can't find a system soon that will allow professionals in the music business to make a decent living I think we'll see the end of it all soon. What will be left are people working in the bed-/rehearsal rooms making music in their spare time from their (non-music) full time jobs.

The decision is actually ours. Instead of being desperate you need to stand up and ask to get paid like everyone else on this planet. How come fireman and tube personal in London can go on strike if they don't get paid enough?
How do you think people would feel without music? They don't mind paying. Just stop giving it away for free and make it a criminal offence. end of story.

If we decide music is for free than EVERYTHING in the world has to be for free. But it isn't. Stop running around with a big L on your forehead! We just get [email protected] in the arse by Internet providers, Apple and mobile companies who make a hell of a profit by having free music. enough.

(I'm not angry. Just saying what needs to be said without pussyfooting around the problem)


Sorry about my OT rant!!
Old 8th December 2010 | Show parent
  #54
Lives for gear
 
doubledecker's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother ➡️
I'm with you!thumbsup

All politicians are in the wall street's pocket. It's time something gets done. It's isn't brain science. The whole stock market and property system needs new laws. It can be done.
At them moment this arseholes suck all the money out of the system without giving anything in value back.
Once enough people will ask for it, a greedy politician will offer himself to get elected by giving them what they want. Not that he possibly cares. He would do anything...


the other day I was at my bank... I checked my interest rates....
they give me 0.1% for savings but charge 19.5% on overdraft (plus fees). I'm with Barclays for 15 years now. These [email protected] made something like £16bn profit last year!!

The use the low interest rate from the bank of England to not pay you any interest but when you borrow money they just happen to ignore it.

We should all take our money out from the bank right now and let them burn down and collapse. All they do is use your money in your current account and speculate with the billions that they have sitting there (not paying you anything).
All the big banks make the big money now with speculating on the markets for THEMSELVES, not for you!!

But they use your $ for it.

It can't go on that property rises 5-10 fold over inflation. We end up that no one who never owned property can afford one. This is insane!!

And finally (now I got going! ) let's stop this **** that music is free. It isn't. We can decide! It's not that the world doesn't need music or can't afford it. If someone steals music, so be it. Make it clear it's a criminal offence. (you don't have to send people to prison for it, but we could come up with some sort of punishment)
Only because someone steals we don't have to devalue music. How low do we want to go for an album price? Everything goes up in the world but music. This is just insane people! Stop making excuses for these arseholes stealing music. It's the same as stealing a car or food in a supermarket. Why is everyone so afraid saying so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother ➡️
If we can't find a system soon that will allow professionals in the music business to make a decent living I think we'll see the end of it all soon. What will be left are people working in the bed-/rehearsal rooms making music in their spare time from their (non-music) full time jobs.

The decision is actually ours. Instead of being desperate you need to stand up and ask to get paid like everyone else on this planet. How come fireman and tube personal in London can go on strike if they don't get paid enough?
How do you think people would feel without music? They don't mind paying. Just stop giving it away for free and make it a criminal offence. end of story.

If we decide music is for free than EVERYTHING in the world has to be for free. But it isn't. Stop running around with a big L on your forehead! We just get [email protected] in the arse by Internet providers, Apple and mobile companies who make a hell of a profit by having free music. enough.

(I'm not angry. Just saying what needs to be said without pussyfooting around the problem)


Sorry about my OT rant!!


heh

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 9th December 2010 | Show parent
  #55
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... ➡️
The word 'sponsor' was used in the press release and comments about the re-emergence of Wisseloord only in the context of companies that have agreed to supply equipment to the new studio. No one listed is 'giving' any gear or making any investment in the studio.
The companies listed agreed to make the announcement about Wisseloord as a group at AES in San Fran. to show support for the creative team that is involved - not to indicate there was any endorsement thing going on. This is a business relationship like any other.
.
Don´t hate me but it would have been the first time in history
that a big investment like a whole studio refurbishing
is NOT being done with pretty drastic reduced prices.

Of course nothing is being given for free
but in a time where even the Abbey Roads & Co. have to fight
no one will pay list prices.

So I´m pretty shure everyone
can make himself a picture
in which context the word "sponsor" can be understood.

As owner of a small studio I´m not so happy
when gear companies continue to heavily support brands, names & other myths from the 80s,
which otherwise wouldn´t survive on their own.

Not that I would directly compete with Wisselord
but even here in my small local market I have to compete
with 100 channel ssl rooms about the recording of AUDIO BOOKS !!!
(just imagine - these guys are running a close to 100 channel Duality with a fully
climatized 200sqm live room+a fully payed assistant to record ONE SPEAKER
reading the whole bible in two weeks at nearly HALF of my hourly price...)

Cheers !
Old 9th December 2010 | Show parent
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Joram's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperman ➡️
Looks like a bunch of the local "competition" started kicking the corpse a little too early.
SM.
LOL...oh no...my remark had to do with the sponsorship as mentioned in the press releases. You cannot expect to have a good running business on the long term based on sponsorship.

Regarding the image-thing I mentioned before:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studerfreak
Obviously you did not talk to the engineers there.
Or worked with them.
I'm sure you know the history of Wisseloord and it's owners.
Old 21st February 2013
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Rolf Ebitsch's Avatar
That's an interesting thread, when you read 'Ocean Way Studios Sold' five minutes before.

Nothing has changed.

R.
Old 21st February 2013 | Show parent
  #58
Lives for gear
 
Studerfreak's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Wisseloord has been fully rebuilt and is back in business.
Have look at Wisseloord : HOME

Run now by Ronald Prent (started his career at the "old" Wisseloord, was top engineer at Galaxy Studios Belgium and now back in his old home studio.
Darcy Proper, award winning mastering engineer, (also formerly at Galaxy Studios Belgium) runs the mastering at Wisseloord.
Old 21st February 2013 | Show parent
  #59
Lives for gear
 
Rolf Ebitsch's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studerfreak ➡️
Wisseloord has been fully rebuilt and is back in business.
Great to hear !!

R.
Old 21st February 2013 | Show parent
  #60
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother ➡️
If we can't find a system soon that will allow professionals in the music business to make a decent living I think we'll see the end of it all soon. What will be left are people working in the bed-/rehearsal rooms making music in their spare time from their (non-music) full time jobs.

The decision is actually ours. Instead of being desperate you need to stand up and ask to get paid like everyone else on this planet. How come fireman and tube personal in London can go on strike if they don't get paid enough?
How do you think people would feel without music? They don't mind paying. Just stop giving it away for free and make it a criminal offence. end of story.

If we decide music is for free than EVERYTHING in the world has to be for free. But it isn't. Stop running around with a big L on your forehead! We just get [email protected] in the arse by Internet providers, Apple and mobile companies who make a hell of a profit by having free music. enough.

(I'm not angry. Just saying what needs to be said without pussyfooting around the problem)


Sorry about my OT rant!!
Youre right, were surrounded by a bunch of broke people doing it for free. Theyre undercutting to the point where their not even making survival money
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5873 views: 1880429
Avatar for gollumsluvslave
gollumsluvslave 7 hours ago
replies: 79 views: 11987
Avatar for Adorno
Adorno 12th February 2013
replies: 4 views: 1933
Avatar for musicianof1
musicianof1 8th January 2019
replies: 869 views: 59640
Avatar for Eigenwert
Eigenwert 4 days ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump