Quantcast
K&H o300 burn-in time? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
K&H o300 burn-in time?
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
K&H o300 burn-in time?

Does anyone have any information or thoughts regarding burning-in the K&H o300? I'm demoing a pair next to my Focal Twin 6's right now, and want to run FuzzMeasure to compare the responses of each in my room. The K&H are brand new, and I have about ten days with them. I can't seem to find any info in the manual, or online.

And yes, I am aware of the debate as to whether or not a burn-in time is even necessary.

Thanks in advance!!!

wiglad
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
None as far as I am aware. Mine sounded amazing straight out of the box.
Old 11th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Ya, really no guidelines from the manufacturer.

These things are quite amazing, aren't they! Very impressed so far.
Lives for gear

You liking them more than your Twins?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Either I'm imagining things, or my 0300s are sounding much more full in the bass than when I first hooked them up about 10 months ago, and I like it (a lot).

I know some say that what's being "broken in" is the listener's ears as they get used to the sound of the speaker they are constantly exposed to, but I am prepared to believe that the loosening of the suspension and the resulting measurable lowering of fs of the bass driver after a prolonged period of fairly heavy use is actually clearly audible.

At the same time, I am fully aware of just how vulnerable we are to auto-suggestion. I have been badly caught out in the past when an EQ I thought was in circuit was not.
Old 11th November 2009
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiglad ➑️
Does anyone have any information or thoughts regarding burning the K&H o300?
About 20 minutes if you use an accelerant...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Changing from a demo pair that i'd used for 2 months to a new pair did involve a sonic difference.
The new pair sounded tighter in the low mids and didn't extend as low as the demo pair. Maybe they are still like that after a year of steady use.. I like to think that they have loosened up. But of course there's no way to compare anymore.
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm not sure I like them better than the Twins, but they are quite different.

Imaging is crazy, and the best I've personally heard, ever.

The sweet spot seems a lot wider, and frequency balance remains very consistent while moving around within it.

The o300's give me the impression they are "passing" sound. More so than the Twins. With the Twins (and most monitors I've worked with), it seems the monitor is working to reproduce sound, with varying degrees of accuracy. I don't "hear" the o300's at all, and they don't seem to be working to pass audio. It just slides right out. heh Kind of hard to explain.

I really love the Twins, but for me they are a bit harsh, and therefore fatiguing, and I wasn't always loving what I was hearing (or not hearing) below around 80hz.

I love the transient response of the K&H. Especially for electronic music, things really seem to pop, in a clean way.

The Twins have way more power. They seem more "rock and roll" to me. For tracking in the control room, there is no question, Twins win by a mile. Clean power to spare. Some people complain that the o300 limiters kick in too soon, but they're plenty loud for me.

I worry that the o300's may be too flattering in the upper mids. They are incredibly clear and open, but a little scooped. I wonder if they will mask problems in this region. The highs are also softer than the Twins. This may be why Fletcher wants to burn them. Or it's just unresolved pyromania.

I like the bass response of the o300's a lot more. They extend lower, and feel tight down to at least 40hz, with a smooth roll-off. They don't seem hyped to me, but the low end is there if you need it.

For context, I'm comparing the o300's to the Twins WITH the sub6. At this level of monitor, I think it boils down to personal preference, and how you use your monitors. If I were mostly tracking and mixing rock, the Twins would be all I need. For editing, film work, more electronic based music, and mastering, the o300's might be the winner. MIGHT be. It's going to be a tough decision, but honestly, if you can't get a good mix out of either of these, it's most likely not the monitor. All of this is IMHO, hope it helps.

Thanks for all the responses, guys!

wiglad
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiglad ➑️
burn-in time
pink noise @ 85dB for 72 hours

NS
πŸ“ Reply