Quantcast
Uberschall Recording? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Uberschall Recording?
Old 16th May 2003
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Uberschall Recording?

Any of you experienced recording these? ...

For those not in the know, this is the highest friggin gain amp known to man. Take a Dual Recto and saturate it x50 until it vaguely reminds your ears of a field of lava streaming next to you. But wait...while you're at it, manage to keep PURE TONE coming through - in full Bogner glory. What Mesa only wishes it was.

Enough ranting. heh

I'd like anyone and everyone's take on the recordability of these amps. I've managed pretty poor results from poor gear and I'd love to hear success stories from an accomplished engineer or two.
Old 16th May 2003
Mastering Moderator

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Re: Uberschall Recording?

Quote:
Originally posted by Heterodox
Any of you experienced recording these? ...

For those not in the know, this is the highest friggin gain amp known to man. Take a Dual Recto and saturate it x50 until it vaguely reminds your ears of a field of lava streaming next to you. But wait...while you're at it, manage to keep PURE TONE coming through - in full Bogner glory. What Mesa only wishes it was.

Enough ranting. heh

I'd like anyone and everyone's take on the recordability of these amps. I've managed pretty poor results from poor gear and I'd love to hear success stories from an accomplished engineer or two.
What did you use to record it?
I remember coming across Bogners and Egnaters more than 10 years ago. An SM57 close and 414 (or similar sounding mic) furher away (for ambience) usually works fine with them. A tube preamp helps a lot if you want a super big sound! Dirt (Alice in Chains) is a classic recording with many guitar tracks tracked through summit pre, 57/414.
A ribbon (if you have one at your disposal also works fine) like a Royer (or the less expensive Oktava). As with all things miked you need to experiment as positioning relative to the room (its structure and size) is fundamental.
Happy experimenting!
That amp rocks man!
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I'm not sure you could say it has more gain than the Diezel Herbert, but that's another topic for another time. As for recording Bogners- I've tried to close mic an ecstacy and felt it was just a bit too chewey sounding. I put it through a smaller cab, a dragonfly relatively close up and an earthworks SR69 farther back and got very good results.
Old 16th May 2003
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Just curious, have you heard both Alpha? I'm aware of the big D's being some monsters of sound - but I'd be hard pressed to believe the red channel is more gained out than the Uber. I've also heard a bit of criticism about it, so I guess I'm biased (considering I've never heard it).

I know what you are saying about being too chewy - I felt the same when recording my guitarist's 101B Ecstacy (and Rivera Knucklehead). It seems to me that the better amps are harder to get good recorded sounds from, even though they sound orasmic in my ears. Something about their no holds barred dominace of the frequencies I'd imagine? I've gotten such easier (and almost better) results with a JCM2000 and Dual Recto. =[
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Yeah man, I used to be like you, totally caught up in the whole boutique amp thing. I've owned Bogner, VHT, Rivera, you name it. I've even had super unknown high end stuff like Langner, Brunetti bla bla bla. When it comes down to it the only 'boutique' amps I really like both live and recorded are Budda Super Drives. Otherwise, a JCM 800 or JMP are great. I had a Jubilee modded by Bogner that was just out of this world because it contained a bit of the Bogner 'in the room' magic, but was as easy as an 800. I personally shy away from the high-end in the studio. Guitars are an attitude instrument, especially heavily distorted ones. Boutique stuff, like the high gain variety, seems to just stroke off the guitarist instead of idealize his sound within the confines of a band. I'd advise that you just get a really awesome amp like a JCM 800 or a Top Hat Emplexador and have mods done. It'll save you a ton of headache- and the 'boutique' stuff you should be buying is recording gear anyway. =P
๐Ÿ“ Reply