Quantcast
Best Vocal Tracking Compressor. Period. - Page 25 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Vocal Tracking Compressor. Period.
Old 7th October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’m sorry guys but what does any of this rapper mic thing have to do with vocal compressors?
Old 7th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
I’m sorry guys but what does any of this rapper mic thing have to do with vocal compressors?
I got carried away, sorry man.
Old 7th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by slainbabyyc ➡️
Fwiw future’s standard chain according to his late engineer Seth firkins was(is?) u87->1073->cl 1b, and uzi standard mic was at least the tlm103

I see the ref c and Sony in la tho
Standard is a good word. 87 is my “standard” too. Likely wouldn’t record with anything less. But back to the topic at hand.
Old 8th October 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch ➡️
Love the cigar in the SSL control room. Glad I don't have to service that place.
Old 12th October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I finally got a chance to use my new BG1 on vocals today. Sounded great.
Old 12th October 2021 | Show parent
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS ➡️
Thank you for posting. I am going to try it on the vocal bus.
Old 12th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any possibility to post some examples on here?
Old 14th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
BG1

Quote:
Use it a lot for VOX as well with his 47 pre amp, great tools.
Old 14th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch ➡️
Any possibility to post some examples on here?
Unfortunately I cannot post it.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
I've migrated from a vintage LA2A and an OG Blue Stripe to a Chandler RS124 and a Serpent Splice in Blue Mode.
This is all lightly compressed with a lot of manual clip gain and fades for smoothing out phrases and usually some Softube Weiss Deessing to catch any last nastiness.
I use an LDC (Vintage U47, Soyuz etc.) and an AEA KU5A on most voices. Sounds better now.
Man, I don’t know about you, but that AEA ku5a is like a magic stick for me…
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood ➡️
Yes I love the sound of it. I haven't heard an AEA mic I haven't liked yet.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Manley ELOP is favorite vocal tracking compressor

The "best" vocal tracking compressor is of course subjective, but I own a Manley ELOP and I think it's the best vocal tracking compressor I have ever used. I prefer optical compressors for tracking vocals because of the lack of compression artifacts. You can always add more compression at mix down but if you track and print the vocal with too much compression and/or to many compression artifacts, you can't undo that later in the mix. The Manley ELOP is an interesting design because it replaces the LA-2A type "light bulb" module (when the light gets brighter the gain is reduced as with all optical compressors) with an LED light bulb design and the result is the ELOP is "faster" in it's response and leaves even fewer artifacts than an LA-2A (which is still great and leaves few artifacts). I love FET compressors (I have 2 original vintage DBX 160 VU and those are my favorite FET units) but I don't track vocals with them because I think even those leave too many compression artifacts. But all of this is a matter of taste and it also depends on the music and the context of the vocal in the mix. If its hard rock or something where you WANT the sort of "grit" that comes with FET compression, and you know EXACTLY what settings on the compressor give you that, then that's fine. I just hate to box myself in when tracking and print something I can't later change so I track vocals with optical compressors because they don't "step" on the signal and sound natural.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins ➡️
The "best" vocal tracking compressor is of course subjective, but I own a Manley ELOP and I think it's the best vocal tracking compressor I have ever used. I prefer optical compressors for tracking vocals because of the lack of compression artifacts. You can always add more compression at mix down but if you track and print the vocal with too much compression and/or to many compression artifacts, you can't undo that later in the mix. The Manley ELOP is an interesting design because it replaces the LA-2A type "light bulb" module (when the light gets brighter the gain is reduced as with all optical compressors) with an LED light bulb design and the result is the ELOP is "faster" in it's response and leaves even fewer artifacts than an LA-2A (which is still great and leaves few artifacts). I love FET compressors (I have 2 original vintage DBX 160 VU and those are my favorite FET units) but I don't track vocals with them because I think even those leave too many compression artifacts. But all of this is a matter of taste and it also depends on the music and the context of the vocal in the mix. If its hard rock or something where you WANT the sort of "grit" that comes with FET compression, and you know EXACTLY what settings on the compressor give you that, then that's fine. I just hate to box myself in when tracking and print something I can't later change so I track vocals with optical compressors because they don't "step" on the signal and sound natural.
Hate to break the news to you, but the DBX 160vu design is not FET compression.
(Nice spirited speech though!)

And just to add there are FET compressors that are very transparent in design and don't add any "grit" to the signal.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood ➡️
Without derailing the thread too much, I can’t help but ask about what tracking situations you’re finding it magical for?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
The question is if we still really need a vocal tracking comp in 2021? If it's just a coloration device, we can do it anytime later much more safely.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by momomel ➡️
The question is if we still really need a vocal tracking comp in 2021? If it's just a coloration device, we can do it anytime later much more safely.
If you want to prioritize hardware, which many people still feel is superior to plugins, and minimize converting back into analogue and again into digital, then tracking comps are very relevant. For the average producer, maybe not so necessary. But there are many to whom it wouldn't occur to be satisfied with being average.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by momomel ➡️
Exciting things don't happen when you're being safe.
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
That is true. At the same time, it makes sense to lighten up on the compression while recording and add what is needed on mixdown.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
Likewise, bad things tend to happen when one is being unsafe.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo ➡️
Likewise, bad things tend to happen when one is being unsafe.
Lol not sure what's going on in your studio but thank God I only have exciting things when I'm being unsafe in mine!
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Addict ➡️
Guys, I know I'll get flamed into the next century, but with such a shizzy song and hideous, monotone vocal, does it matter AT ALL what compressor is used?

I understand discussing the miniscule differing merits of various compressors, but when we're recording absolute crap does it really matter?
Lol, It’s so bad it’s good!
Helped me to stay focused on the objective of this thread and not get lost in seductive melodies and sexy production styles -

Retro all the way for me - I currently have the VTRC as my front with a 1073 Clone (Vintage Audio M73) patched in for good measure - I’m still learning/tweaking this combo but it seems promising - Since the M73 is a dual mono - I’m looking for a comp with a different flavor outside of the LA2A / Vari Mu offered by the VTRC.
📝 Reply