The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shadow Hills Dual Vandergraph
Old 19th October 2016
  #151
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Im a little disappointed in their support two days ago I received an email asking me questions I already explained in my initial email and after that no feedback.....
Old 19th October 2016 | Show parent
  #152
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot12 ➡️
I know I already checked the manual. Still no reply from shadow hills
Have you called them? In my experience, there is normally somebody there during normal business hours.
Old 20th October 2016 | Show parent
  #153
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstockAudio ➡️
Have you called them? In my experience, there is normally somebody there during normal business hours.
Im not a native english speaker and it would be expensive calling overseas. It shouldnt be that hard to receive an answer from them but still no feedback...
Old 20th October 2016
  #154
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
It does seem in the last couple years there support has gone to hell. I called twice to inquire about purchasing a power cable was told to email and contact a tech ( can't remember his name )never received a response.
I will give them credit for when I did send in a unit for repair they upgraded power supply and fixed lights for free and were promt with turnaround .
Old 20th October 2016
  #155
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot12 ➡️
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstockAudio ➡️
Have you called them? In my experience, there is normally somebody there during normal business hours.
Im not a native english speaker and it would be expensive calling overseas. It shouldnt be that hard to receive an answer from them but still no feedback...
Perhaps try sending an email to Vintage King/M1 Distribution since they're the international distributors. That's assuming your dealer already wasn't able to help.
Old 21st October 2016
  #156
Lives for gear
 
Arseny's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
It can be calibrated!

SH Dual Vandergraphs
Old 22nd October 2016 | Show parent
  #157
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arseny ➡️
It can be calibrated!

SH Dual Vandergraphs
They talking about calibrating the VU meter not the stereo balance!
Old 22nd October 2016 | Show parent
  #158
Lives for gear
 
Arseny's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot12 ➡️
They talking about calibrating the VU meter not the stereo balance!
Sorry, I haven't read it in detail. You're probably right.
Old 15th December 2019
  #159
Lives for gear
 
proxy's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Ended up getting one of these and am really impressed.

Been using it on my Vocal Group Bus and my Guitar Group Bus and have been really happy with the results.

It gives a very glamorous sound to what I put through it, and while I’m sure the HW SHMC is even better, the main thing I loved about the SHMC plug-in is this glamorous quality.

If I didn’t have the DV HW, I’d probably be using the SHMC plug, but this HW seems to be just a bit more vivid, and I love it for that, particularly for something as highlighted as vocals.
Old 16th December 2019 | Show parent
  #160
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy ➡️
Ended up getting one of these and am really impressed.

Been using it on my Vocal Group Bus and my Guitar Group Bus and have been really happy with the results.

It gives a very glamorous sound to what I put through it, and while I’m sure the HW SHMC is even better, the main thing I loved about the SHMC plug-in is this glamorous quality.

If I didn’t have the DV HW, I’d probably be using the SHMC plug, but this HW seems to be just a bit more vivid, and I love it for that, particularly for something as highlighted as vocals.
It does so much well, but it is unsurpassed on vocals. I cram it with backgrounds and harmonies and it is always the clearest yet still alive sound I can get in a mix. I cannot use in the box compression for this task- the DV is always worlds better.

It’s a terrific all arounder. I just can’t put any other comp on harmony vocals.
Old 26th October 2020
  #161
Here for the gear
 
Hey guys,
just got mine and chiming in here with a few small technical issues. I have the Cranborne ADAT 500 rack, and because he DV housing is slightly out of standard size limits for 500 racks I get stereo image issues with it. I removed the back housing plate and all works fine now.

Also, be careful with shipping them as the OP amps are liable to fall out with rough transit. This can be fixed with a screwdriver.

As for the unit: using it on drums and stereo bus is a real joy!
Old 28th October 2020 | Show parent
  #162
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
I got this months ago as an option compressor on my 2bus...

I love it I use it daily when Im mixing hip hop or any music that's needs more thickness to it.
Old 9th December 2020
  #163
Gear Head
 
Hi, i wonder if someone could help me with my Vandergraph.
I can't figure out why it makes such a noticeable hiss when turned on.

I got gain all the way down, but when I switch on any of the ratios, the hissing starts. I've tried various cables, different inputs and outputs from analog mixers to a few different interfaces, to no avail.

Even when I connect the outputs from my Vandegraph -without anything on the input- to my SSL Six mixer, the hissing is there (xlr, jack, no matter). I'm using an Heritage Audio OST-4 as the chassis, but couldn't find Vandergraph's power requirements anywhere; the Heritage rack supplies 400mA per rack. There's no hiss with the two other 500 pieces I have.

Is it just part of the way it operates, increasing the levels that drastically even without any gain?
I'm new to both the machine and 500 series, and I'm afraid this must be such a dumb question with the answer right in front of me, but spare me for I did try searching for an answer and trying out all possible combinations before coming here to cry for help.

Cheers!
Old 9th December 2020 | Show parent
  #164
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_ ➡️
Hi, i wonder if someone could help me with my Vandergraph.
I can't figure out why it makes such a noticeable hiss when turned on.

I got gain all the way down, but when I switch on any of the ratios, the hissing starts. I've tried various cables, different inputs and outputs from analog mixers to a few different interfaces, to no avail.

Even when I connect the outputs from my Vandegraph -without anything on the input- to my SSL Six mixer, the hissing is there (xlr, jack, no matter). I'm using an Heritage Audio OST-4 as the chassis, but couldn't find Vandergraph's power requirements anywhere; the Heritage rack supplies 400mA per rack. There's no hiss with the two other 500 pieces I have.

Is it just part of the way it operates, increasing the levels that drastically even without any gain?
I'm new to both the machine and 500 series, and I'm afraid this must be such a dumb question with the answer right in front of me, but spare me for I did try searching for an answer and trying out all possible combinations before coming here to cry for help.

Cheers!
It shouldn't make any sound. It's been a while since I had a vandergraph, but when the ratios are out (no lights) then it's in bypass so that's why there's no hiss. Once you select a ratio, you're out of bypass. If the unit is hissing once it's out of bypass and the gain is completely down, then there's a problem with the unit.
Old 10th December 2020 | Show parent
  #165
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
It shouldn't make any sound. It's been a while since I had a vandergraph, but when the ratios are out (no lights) then it's in bypass so that's why there's no hiss. Once you select a ratio, you're out of bypass. If the unit is hissing once it's out of bypass and the gain is completely down, then there's a problem with the unit.
Thanks for yr response ionian. Now I realize my initial comment was much too vague and alarmist...I wonder if it's just the nature of the gear; I'm relatively new to analog gear after years of ITB-only.

We're talking about a +5dB increase in the noise floor to -75dB, ie. not audible unless you're really trying to hear it, and doesn't really affect my usage of the Vandergraph. But I'm curious to know, for, you know, science's sake , if this is to be expected.
Old 11th December 2020
  #166
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
I've noticed some hiss as well, slightly more than other units. Not usually a problem but depends on the gain staging
Old 4th January 2021 | Show parent
  #167
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
It's been a while since I had a vandergraph
Interesting. Would you be willing to talk a little bit about your experience with the Vandergraph as compared to the Obsidian, which I know you like? From your comment, I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that you bought both and only kept one. And in the demos I've heard online, I'm more impressed by the Vandergraph. Seems to have some serious bigness to it.
Old 28th February 2022
  #168
Lives for gear
 
Chevron's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Holy moly, just got a VanderGraph and I am really liking it so far.

The compression is really something I am liking for the across the drum or mix buss. It has a thick sound for sure, but it is a very complimentary way of adding some glue and cohesion to a mix. It is punchy and tight, but not in an anaemic way like some SSL VC type buss compressors. Funny thing is, it is a sound I have been looking for for quite a while - no real surprise really as I have been using the PA Shadow Hills Mastering Comp for years.

Early days, however I think I am going to get on with this unit very well.....

Over and out...
Old 28th February 2022 | Show parent
  #169
Lives for gear
 
nobtwiddler's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
This is the second rack in my remote recording rig.
I've got two of these racks filled exactly the same!

So yes, I'm a big fan!

Peter makes GREAT STUFF!
Attached Thumbnails
Shadow Hills Dual Vandergraph-rack-2-close.jpg  
Old 28th February 2022 | Show parent
  #170
Lives for gear
 
Chevron's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler ➡️
This is the second rack in my remote recording rig.
I've got two of these racks filled exactly the same!

So yes, I'm a big fan!

Peter makes GREAT STUFF!
I’m curious about the OptoGraph too now!
Old 1st March 2022 | Show parent
  #171
Lives for gear
 
nobtwiddler's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Mono Optograph, is also thick, warm, fat, and just plain GREAT.
what else can I say?
(I own 8)
Haha

Wonderful for lead Vocals, Bass, Acoustic / Electric Gtrs.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #172
Gear Addict
 
Annex2's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler ➡️
Mono Optograph, is also thick, warm, fat, and just plain GREAT.
what else can I say?
(I own 8)
Haha

Wonderful for lead Vocals, Bass, Acoustic / Electric Gtrs.
I used to own a Mono Optograph. Really miss tracking with that.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 90 views: 27843
Avatar for Deleted 97dbc1cc80a0ab0
Deleted 97dbc1cc80a0ab0 4th July 2019
replies: 2181 views: 473784
Avatar for Paul_G
Paul_G 5 days ago
replies: 133 views: 37126
Avatar for Dirk Churlish
Dirk Churlish 4th September 2021
replies: 56184 views: 4229184
Avatar for Rickskii
Rickskii 10 minutes ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump