Quantcast
Lexincon 224 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lexincon 224
Old 11th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Lexincon 224

Any comments on the Lexicon 224 reverb unit. I have a chance to get one in really good shape but I'm not to sure so would like some feedback.

Thanks appreciate it.
Old 11th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
old school verb

that is an old school verb.

I still really like them on drums.
Not sure if it is the 224 but when I think of the 224 I think of the tears for frears record with "shout" on it.
To me it sounds like the whole record is a emulator 2 and a lexi 224.
and I love it!

If it's cheap you will get a lot of use out of it.
Old 11th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Theom,

How cheap is cheap? $500 +-
Old 11th May 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
You might get a PCM70 for $500.
A 224 generally goes for around $2,000 in the UK.
Old 11th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Chrisso,

Any major differences between the two?

Thanks
Old 11th May 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I couldn't tell you.
The 224 was more expensive in it's day......in fact, it still is.
Old 11th May 2003

🎧 15 years
I've got a 224 that I bought new many, many years ago and in those years a lot of gear has come and gone in my studio but the 224 remains. Don't use it everyday, but it is different from all my other verbs (PCM 80, 960 L, TC 5000, assorted yamaha and roland units). Not a linear, hi-fi type of unit but it is useful for drums and horn sections. Has a meaty, lower mid range type of sound (without a lot of sizzle) that seems to be missing in today's generation of effects units. You could say it is somewhat crude and a little grainy....that's what I like about it....the 960 is polite and knows how to stay out of the way, the 224 is more the "attitude" unit for me. Not a lot of variations in its tone so probably not a good choice as your only reverb, but a great unit IMHO.
Best Regards, Rick
Oh yeah, from what I've seen, street price is in the $1500 - $1800 range.
Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a 224X, not sure how it differs to a non X version (aside from the different color remote) But I love it, I have done a little web page about it on my site (goto the equipment section) Some sound samples there too.

If anyone has the info I need to fill in the missing bits that would be cool.

PS I have a PCM70 as well, and while the are some similar sounds, the 224X is better by a fair bit.

A word of caution, these units have a loud fan in them, best to put the main box out in another room if you can.
Attached Thumbnails
Lexincon 224-224_x_main_unit.jpg  
Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
this how the remote looks as compared to a LARC
Attached Thumbnails
Lexincon 224-lexicon_remotes.jpg  
Old 12th May 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Lexincon 224

Quote:
Originally posted by Boopaul
Any comments on the Lexicon 224 reverb unit. I have a chance to get one in really good shape but I'm not to sure so would like some feedback.

Thanks appreciate it.

If you want a Lexicon, than maybe look around for an 224XL.

Its about half the 480L and same sound(including the LARC).

The 224 is too grainy(and there is plenty of grainy reverbs around).
Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
heres how i understand it, but please let me know if its wrong.

a 224X (blue metal remote) is the same sound as a 224XL just without the plastic white LARC remote( the same remote as a 480L).

a 224 is a older unit (less sounds, more grainy) with a white metal remote (similar shape as a 224x blue remote, just white)

Got all that.
Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
cheap?

If it is in the $1000 range, It would be a deal, you might find yourself using it a lot on rock drums. But not much else. Keep in mind they are hot and noisy fanned.

On the other hand , You may want to save the $1000 for a fund to buy the new Kurzweil verb. It is really really cool. And emulates the grainy verbs of old and does a slammin job of lush realistic space, and the best plate sound I've heard out of a digital box.
Old 13th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
If you are going to get a standard 224 or the 224x ---make sure that you get the blue larc--like the pic in adamcal post. If it is an xl you can use the M480/300L larc--

In ether case if you do not have the larc--it is worthless (well maybe not worthless--but you know what I mean)

jfk

Old 13th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Just to clear up what adamcal stated in his post about the larcs--the white metal and blue metal larcs are the same thing--the plastic larc (m480L/M300L) is different--it will not work with a 224 or 224x.

jfk
Old 18th February 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➑️
If you want a Lexicon, than maybe look around for an 224XL.

Its about half the 480L and same sound(including the LARC).
The 300L is also considered to be a single engine 480L
(IΒ΄m speaking of "reverb engines" not the tools that the 300L can process in split mode) with digital I/O.
It was released years after the 480L and features all reverb algos from the older unit and maybe some smaller additions.
Old 18th February 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The 224X is very old and the risk to get some technical problems becomes higher and higher.

I would go for a Lexicon 300. It sounds very lush and warm, great convertors, it has many of the 480 and 224 algos and has all digital I/Os (AES/EBU and SPDIF) that you need today. I let run my Lexicon 300 over the Mackie analog mixing desk and also in Cubase 6 as an external effect plugin. The last thing is really great and has a big potential. You hear the pure reverb sound in your DAW of a great lexicon and you could equalize, compress etc it on the effect return with other plugs and mixdown (rendering) it after very easy into your tracks or groups in DAW.

The sound of a Lexicon 300 is awsome - you only have to tweak some of the presets. You get a Lex 300 in europe for around 1.000 - 1.200 EUR without a LARC. But to be honest - instead of 224 or 480 for a Lexicon 300 you don't really need a LARC . You could programm it directly without a LARC or you control it with MIDI-Controllers and MIDI-Editors from your DAW. I usually edit its parameter in Cubase 6 with a Midi-SysEX map and eq's on the effect returns of the Cubase 6 mixer. This modern advantages you would not have if you go for a 224.

The UAD Lexicon 224 emulation comes also very close to the original 224 and sounds awsome too, but has little less of that magical three-dimensional room impression of a real Lex 224, 300 or 480.

So if your budget is small then go for a UAD 224 and if you could spend around 1.200 $ then go for a hardware Lex 300.

Sudad G
πŸ“ Reply